68 year old faces charges after defending himself in home invasion

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

A home invasion in southwestern New Brunswick ended up with one person shot and four people facing charges.

The St. Stephen RCMP were called to a house in Honeydale after the homeowner was assaulted.

The police say the alleged assailant was shot in the leg and a vehicle was also shot in the incident.

The alleged assailant and the homeowner were both taken to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the police.

Both individuals were later released from the hospital. Honeydale is roughly 20 kilometres north of St. Stephen.

The police investigation is ongoing, but four people are already facing charges stemming from the incident.

A 68-year-old man was been charged with discharging a firearm with intent and discharging a firearm in a reckless manner. He will be back in court on Feb. 3.

A 17-year-old boy was charged with robbery and assault with a weapon. He will be back in court on Dec. 23 for a bail hearing.

A 19-year-old man has been charged with robbery and breaching a probation order. He will appear in court on Feb. 3.

As well, a 19-year-old woman was arrested for robbery on Dec. 22, in connection to the home invasion incident. The police released her on a promise to appear in court on Feb. 3.

1 man shot, 4 charged in St. Stephen-area home invasion - New Brunswick - CBC News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The old guy was probably a creep also if this is his normal crowd and the break-in was a cover-story.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I suspect the gentleman in question fired a shot at the car as they were retreating...........when he was no longer in danger.

Otherwise, the charges are outrageous.

Either way, I hope he gets tried in front of a jury.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I suspect the gentleman in question fired a shot at the car as they were retreating...........when he was no longer in danger.

..or the gun was an unregistered firearm?? 3 years minimum in Canada.

Despite the fact they estimate over 1 million unregistered hand guns in Canada, you would figure they would do something like Obama did with the illegals..

It's better to know where they are, so change the law so people can register them without facing jail time and change the law so people can have them in the home for protection and target practice in Canada.

Think I need to get into politics.. start as an MP in Alberta for the Wild Rose Party :)

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
makes you wonder what would've happened, if he just would've sat back and waited for the arrival of the highly trained heroes.

far as I'm concerned, a shot in the back side of a thief as he is leaving your premises just tells him he's not welcome back.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Where's all these new cops?

Tim Horton's

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
makes you wonder what would've happened, if he just would've sat back and waited for the arrival of the highly trained heroes.

far as I'm concerned, a shot in the back side of a thief as he is leaving your premises just tells him he's not welcome back.

Well, the law disagrees. You must be in IMMEDIATE danger of death or greivous bodily harm to use lethal force.

I think there is something to be said for shots fired in the heat of a conflict............but the law disagrees.

A jury, however, can over rule the law.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
..or the gun was an unregistered firearm?? 3 years minimum in Canada.

Despite the fact they estimate over 1 million unregistered hand guns in Canada, you would figure they would do something like Obama did with the illegals..

It's better to know where they are, so change the law so people can register them without facing jail time and change the law so people can have them in the home for protection and target practice in Canada.

Think I need to get into politics.. start as an MP in Alberta for the Wild Rose Party :)

They already did that once years ago. The smart people ignored it. Part of the problem is that many handguns fall into the prohibited category and the government would just steal them.
Never trust a government that steals your property for your own good.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Far as I'm concerned, anyone who breaks into my house has the intent to cause me bodily harm.

Unfortunately our limp wristed do nothing society that believes it should be protected in a government cocoon .

I don't expect the government, the courts and especially the police to use common sense and do the right thing.

It's better to protect yourself and deal with the circumstances then find yourself dead waiting for the heroes to arrive

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
They already did that once years ago. The smart people ignored it. Part of the problem is that many handguns fall into the prohibited category and the government would just steal them.
Never trust a government that steals your property for your own good.

So people risk a 3 year minimum sentence??

Why have an unregistered firearm in Canada anyhow?? You can't shoot it.

For me I pick up my guns in Shelby, MT and go to the range in Great Falls, MT. On the way back to Canada, put them back in storage..

Don't have to worry about a 3 year mandatory prison sentence. Laws are to harsh and backward here in Canada.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Few people I know registered all their long guns when that was forced on us either. There are some things you just can't trust a government with. Where we live there is lots of places to take a handgun to practice without having to go to a range. Probably a little different for city folk. They miss out on so much in life. Then again it was citiots that forced silly gun laws on us in the first place.
None of these regressive lws had any effect on criminal use of guns either except to make criminals out of law abiding citizens.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So people risk a 3 year minimum sentence??

Why have an unregistered firearm in Canada anyhow?? You can't shoot it.

For me I pick up my guns in Shelby, MT and go to the range in Great Falls, MT. On the way back to Canada, put them back in storage..

Don't have to worry about a 3 year mandatory prison sentence. Laws are to harsh and backward here in Canada.

Practically every gun owner I know failed to register all their long guns.

Defiance counts.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

It should be his option. It is always the defendant's right to request a jury trial. I suspect he is guilty and sentencing is before the judge so it would depend on the judge. If I was judge he would get 'time served' and nothing more.

The reckless one is the one which would cover the shooting at the car. I suspect the shooting with intent was for having the audacity to protect his property.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I refused and still refuse to list anything on a system any twelve-year-old can hack into

Not a bad idea but that would stop you from collecting a pension and going to a hospital. Hospitals of course don't need to be hacked since you can just buy any information you want from an employee.