Violent police 'home invasion' leads to $66K bill for victims

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Two siblings are speaking out for the first time about how Halifax police "invaded" one of their homes in the middle of the night, then assaulted him as he tried to protect his sister from getting seriously hurt.

"I was fearful for her life," said Bishop, a GM salesman. "I was watching them pick her up and drop her face on the floor. She was crying."

"Absolutely unreal," said Cirbie Bishop, 31. "Under no circumstances would anyone ever believe that two police officers could just enter your home illegally and do that to you."

One of the officers, Const. Jordan Gilbert, was later sanctioned for illegal entry and assault, after a decision by a police complaint review board. But he was never criminally charged and he kept his job.

The Bishops, who had never been in trouble with the law before, said they are left with $66,000 in legal costs, which the municipality refuses to cover

A judge already ruled the Bishops’ legal fees aren’t recoverable, because of legal precedents, which leaves them only able to claim for damages.

"I didn’t want to spend six years of my life fighting this. I just wanted my money back because it was proven that they entered that house illegally, meaning I should have never had to put that money out to begin with," Cirbie said.

more

Violent police 'home invasion' leads to $66K bill for victims - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Police and City are wrong on this, but where did 66 k damages come from.
Then we will always have those that hate Police.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The proof is there, just a sh-tty Crown who favours pigs.

They could have bypassed the Crown.

Private Prosecutions - Ministry of the Attorney General

Generally, allegations of criminal activity are reported to the police. After the police investigate, they may lay criminal charges. However, anyone who has reasonable grounds to believe that a person has committed an offence may lay an information in writing and under oath before a Justice of the Peace.
When the information is presented to the court by a private citizen, it is then referred to either a provincial court judge or a designated justice of the peace, who holds a special hearing. The purpose of the hearing is to determine whether a summons or warrant should be issued to compel the person to attend court and answer to the charge.
This hearing, held under s. 507.1 of the Criminal Code, takes place in private, without notice to the accused person. At the hearing, the judge or justice of the peace must hear and consider all of the allegations and available evidence.
The Crown must also receive a copy of the information, get notice of the hearing, and have an opportunity to attend. The Crown may attend at the hearing without being deemed to intervene in the proceedings.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That is still going through the Crown.

To the Judge or the JP- Crown can attend if they wish

To avoid any abuse of the private prosecution process, the Criminal Code and the Crown Attorneys Act authorize Crown Counsel to supervise privately laid charges to ensure that such prosecutions are in the best interest of the administration of justice. If a summons or warrant is issued and the case involves an indictable offence, the Crown is required to take over the prosecution. So, a private citizen's right to swear an information is always subject to the Crown's right to intervene and take over the prosecution.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Crown has to. Same goes for when the cops charge somebody. It all goes to the Crown.

If the Judge- JP detemines a charge is to be laid, the Crown can.... I addded the below in my other post while you had posted

To avoid any abuse of the private prosecution process, the Criminal Code and the Crown Attorneys Act authorize Crown Counsel to supervise privately laid charges to ensure that such prosecutions are in the best interest of the administration of justice. If a summons or warrant is issued and the case involves an indictable offence, the Crown is required to take over the prosecution. So, a private citizen's right to swear an information is always subject to the Crown's right to intervene and take over the prosecution.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Their lawyer went the right route. This is clearly a case of the pigs being afforded a pass even though their actions were criminal. That sh-t has to stop.