Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Coffee

This thread is for coffee lovers.

Well you will need a French Press

I have a Bodum - 8 cup

http://hubpages.com/hub/french-press-coffee-maker-how-to

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rs=289749&sort=pmrank&ref%5F=sr%5Fst&keywords=french%20press&bbn=289749&qid=1245344114&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afrench%20press%2Ci%3Agarden%2Cn%3A1055398%2Cn%3A%211063498%2Cn%3A284507%2Cn%3A915194%2Cn%3A289749&page=1

Then a grinder

Do you like your coffee strong? Even thick? Then a french press is the way to go. French presses are used around the world and called many names such as press pot, coffee plunger, cafetiere, and coffee press. Some coffee experts claim the french press device may have started in Italy, but the people of France made it popular and hence the name stuck with them. The way they work is that a plunger is pressed down the cylinder shaped jug once the coffee grounds have brewed with the water. This style of "plunger coffee" uses a nylon mesh as the filter although you will often get sediment in your coffee adding to the stronger flavor. French press coffee doesn't last as long as traditional drip brewed coffees, so after about 20 minutes a typical 8-cup french press is done. Another important factor that we found on several coffee sites is that you should use a burr mill as your grinder and not the type with the blades. You want coarse coffee grinds for a french press so that the grinds don't get through the filter.

http://products.howstuffworks.com/coffee-mill-grinder-reviews.htm

Then the coffee

While we were on vacation the resort had Jamaican Blue Mountain - Man that is great coffee

Best Bean Coffee
A Canadian Company is also listed quite often for their coffee - Link below

Doi Chaang Coffee - Home

Doi Chaang Coffee is available at all Save-on-Foods and London Drugs in Alberta and British Columbia

Bean Brothers Cafe in Vancouver is now selling and serving Doi Chaang Authentic Wild Civet Coffee! www.BeanBrothersCafe.com

Blue Parrot Cafe at Granville Island is now serving Doi Chaang Coffee! www.BlueParrotCoffee.com

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We buy either salt spring coffee beans, or kicking horse beans, or sometimes other good quality when
it is on sale, and we have a $15.00, drip type coffee maker,from Walmart, which makes the coffee just fine, just
as good as the two restaurants in the valley who make good coffee.

We bought a much more expensive drip type coffee maker, lasted 3 weeks, broke, took it back, bought the
one we presently have, works great.
We just use the paper filters, put two together.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I recently broke my french press, and I miss it! Haven't replaced it yet. Don't own anything else. Jamie just recently took up coffee, owing to her schedule at vet school, so I may have to invest in some more gear!

At work we have a few coffee machines. The Keurig is very popular, so many choices of different coffees.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We buy either salt spring coffee beans, or kicking horse beans, or sometimes other good quality when
it is on sale, and we have a $15.00, drip type coffee maker,from Walmart, which makes the coffee just fine, just
as good as the two restaurants in the valley who make good coffee.

We bought a much more expensive drip type coffee maker, lasted 3 weeks, broke, took it back, bought the
one we presently have, works great.
We just use the paper filters, put two together.
Try the French Press - Better coffee - I bought mine for 24 $ at London Drugs - the Bay wanted 59 - same press.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I love coffee but a heart condition prevents me from enjoying it. My favorite used to be Columbian Dark.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I recently broke my french press, and I miss it! Haven't replaced it yet. Don't own anything else. Jamie just recently took up coffee, owing to her schedule at vet school, so I may have to invest in some more gear!

At work we have a few coffee machines. The Keurig is very popular, so many choices of different coffees.
It's just a 750ml lab beaker.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
There is a coffee shop in St Lawrence Market here in El Toro that roasts daily. That is where I get my coffee from. These folks have a knack of roasting just so and I have talked my way into "friends with benefits" status there. They will put a little something away for me if they think I will like it. Give me samples to take home and try out. Even custom roast beans for me if they have the time. I brew out of a little espresso maker I found for $70, pump driven and ass kickin.

I am blending my own often now and it's getting pretty close to what I want in a coffee. Both for my morning cuppa with a little milk and sugar, and my afternoon espresso.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have two french presses... both from IKEA. One for making coffee, one for frothing milk or making tea. (why have a tea pot when a french press serves so many other purposes?). I drink Melita dark roast, fresh ground. LOVE it. VanHoutte has some good coffee too. One of my faves is from the Catfish Coffee Roasting Company here in Ed, called 'Cartell it like it is'. But, I rarely venture all the way to the farmer's market so we rarely have it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I like my Tassimo machine......
I tried just about every different blend on the market made for it, and settled back to the original choice of Nabob 100% columbian blend.
The absolute worst for me was Starbuck.....

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have two french presses... both from IKEA. One for making coffee, one for frothing milk or making tea. (why have a tea pot when a french press serves so many other purposes?). I drink Melita dark roast, fresh ground. LOVE it. VanHoutte has some good coffee too. One of my faves is from the Catfish Coffee Roasting Company here in Ed, called 'Cartell it like it is'. But, I rarely venture all the way to the farmer's market so we rarely have it.

When I make my cappuccinos I use 35 % cream - also heat the cups and add a tad, a tad of Baileys at the bottom prior to pouring - a small piece of really good chocolate would probably work as well. I will have to try that one sometime.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I make my cappuccinos I use 35 % cream - also heat the cups and add a tad, a tad of Baileys at the bottom prior to pouring - a small piece of really good chocolate would probably work as well. I will have to try that one sometime.

I add good chocolate to my hot milk in the french press to make the best foamy hot chocolate you'll ever have.... add that to some strong dark roast coffee... heavenly.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A french press is more than just the glass part...and it's nowhere near close to lab quality glassware.
They slide perfectly into the bodum frame. Get a plunger from a cheapie and change to a finer stainless mesh. Use your noodle.

I have had mine for 20 years and rebuilt it many many times. I use lexan for travelling. I won't compromise on my morning joe.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Hello, my name is alley and I'm a long time coffee lover, first time contributor to this thread. :)

Can someone please tell me about these "tassimo" single cup brewers that I've heard so much about? Are they worth it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hello, my name is alley and I'm a long time coffee lover, first time contributor to this thread. :)

Can someone please tell me about these "tassimo" single cup brewers that I've heard so much about? Are they worth it?

I have drank coffee from them twice. Once at my Mazda service centre, and once at a friend's house. The Mazda service centre is the only time they made sense to me. Is the coffee good? That's irrelevent in my opinion. They are the epitomy of Western indulgence and waste. Consider how much garbage is created by having them, and consider also that the appliances are completely incompatible with use for anything else.

NEVER buy anything that creates extraneous waste, and avoid buying anything that requires you buy a proprietary product. If you want good single serving coffee, as the poster above me said, buy a bodum.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have drank coffee from them twice. Once at my Mazda service centre, and once at a friend's house. The Mazda service centre is the only time they made sense to me. Is the coffee good? That's irrelevent in my opinion. They are the epitomy of Western indulgence and waste. Consider how much garbage is created by having them, and consider also that the appliances are completely incompatible with use for anything else.

NEVER buy anything that creates extraneous waste, and avoid buying anything that requires you buy a proprietary product. If you want good single serving coffee, as the poster above me said, buy a bodum.

We have one at my work. The amount of waste drives me crazy. There's a plastic bag, which includes two cardboard boxes; in each cardboard box are 7 plastic pods, each containing 2 tablespoons of coffee.

Plus, the coffee is so-so. I've tried a variety of brands and types, but I much prefer the coffee I brew at home. However, it's convenient for work, instead of having a pot of coffee that's 4 hours, or 3 weeks, old.

But I would never have one for home.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's in the bean. Find the bean and you're in business.
Then the roast. Find the right roast for your bean and you're
almost there.
Find the grinder so that you can grind your roasted bean just
before brewing.
Find the maker that does it the way you want it.
Everyone is different, taste is subjective.
But crap is crap and will never be anything more than crap.

Keep your roasted beans sealed. Every morning when you open the
container, just give it a little shake and take your beans, then
reseal the container.

If you get it right, then coffee in the morning should only want a little
milk. The sweetness of the steamed milk will make the coffee sweet once you
develop your taste.

In the afternoon the Espresso, you should never drink milk with coffee in
the afternoon, will be something you look forward to that refreshes mind and body
after you pause for a few minutes. It's really quite something the way it works.

And if you really want it cheap, go to Timmies, they have some really cheap **** there.