Swiss Steak

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
To be honest I don't know what the Swiss do. But if you have an inexpensive boneless roast like an inside round roast
or a sirloin tip roast etc. It just has to be boneless and able to be cut across the grain into one inch slices.......enough
for one steak per person. Dredge the steaks in flour and pepper and brown on both sides. Put steaks in a roasting pan
and add a small onion coursely sliced and clove ot two of garlic crushed. Pour in a cup and a half of beef stock or a can
of beef broth. Cover and bake at low heat for four or five hours This recipe works well in the crock pot as well. I have a
slow cook feature on our stove that I would use on this recipe. You can thicken the gravy with flour or corn starch and
serve with whatever veggies you like.

Good luck

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back when I was still in college we used to buy beef shanks and use this same recipe. At the time, beef shanks were
just about the cheapest meat out there. Beef shanks are now over six bucks a pound. As you said, Braising works very
well with other cuts and other meats too.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Back when I was still in college we used to buy beef shanks and use this same recipe. At the time, beef shanks were
just about the cheapest meat out there. Beef shanks are now over six bucks a pound. As you said, Braising works very
well with other cuts and other meats too.

Good recipe Juan, thanks. We've tried it, or something nearly similar.

Cripes, hot dawgs are nearly 6 bucks a pound.............then there's the rolls..........whine whine whine.............yep, price of wine is pretty steep too.:clown:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good recipe Juan, thanks. We've tried it, or something nearly similar.

Cripes, hot dawgs are nearly 6 bucks a pound.............then there's the rolls..........whine whine whine.............yep, price of wine is pretty steep too.:clown:

Hey Nug, You can get a dozen wieners for $5.00. or say, 42 cents each.
The hot dog buns will be about 22 cents each.
Add a dime for mustard and relish.
That makes your cost for a hot dog to be about 74 cents plus the heat to cook them.
God! The next time I buy a hot dog at a Canucks game for five dollars I won't enjoy it
nearly as much..lol

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Interesting, my grandmother used to make Swiss Steak except instead of beef broth she used a can of diced tomatoes. Otherwise identical.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Interesting, my grandmother used to make Swiss Steak except instead of beef broth she used a can of diced tomatoes. Otherwise identical.
Using diced tomatoes is the way to go for original Swiss Steaks. I've kind of baster-dised the recipe here.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I want to apologise. I looked up Swiss Steak and indeed, it calls for tomatoes rather than beef broth. The tomatoes do improve the
taste of the recipe as well as tenderising the meat...probably due to the bit of extra acid.
Cheers

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I want to apologise. I looked up Swiss Steak and indeed, it calls for tomatoes rather than beef broth. The tomatoes do improve the
taste of the recipe as well as tenderising the meat...probably due to the bit of extra acid.
Cheers
Lol, no need to apologize.

I always use round steak, the shoe leather of steaks if not properly tenderized, but it's fork tender by the time the tomatoes have had their way with it.

I'm going to try the beef broth someday, probably next winter (seems like a winter comfort food kind of dish to me). Maybe throw in some button mushrooms. Like a steak & mushroom pie, minus the pie, lol.