Anyone have a favorite recipe forTiger Prawns?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A week or so ago the Superstore were selling large bags of zipperback tiger prawns. These prawns are already de-veined and they come out of their shells quite willingly once they are thawed. I had divided the prawns into four smaller freezer bags. About 24 prawns per bag
or about a dozen for each of us. One bag is defrosting right now.
These prawns will be the main part of Sunday dinner. I just need to decide on a recipe.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
When on the boat we would boil them in beer and eat while we were working.

Of course the ones we eat are not dipped in chemicals first like what you get in the store.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When on the boat we would boil them in beer and eat while we were working.

Of course the ones we eat are not dipped in chemicals first like what you get in the store.

You are a real joy to have around aren't you? This is not a forum to cite what you think might be wrong with the B.C. fishing industry.
The prawns I have, cook to a beautiful pink colour, and they just about fall out of their shells. Last week I used some in Tempura and
they were great.
PS........I was looking for a new recipe..

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
With shrimp, I like to just toss them on the barbecue straight out of the bag, and eat them accompanied by large quantities of Moosehead products.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What I'll probably do is peel the prawns, mount them on wooden skewers, brush them with lemon/garlic butter*
and put them right on the grille. Turn and brush the other side.
I'll Save some of the garlic butter for dipping

lemon/garlic butter

1 cup melted butter
one large clove garlic crushed
one tablespoon lemon juice
Stir ingredients together and keep warm

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What I did do was boil up two cups of fusilli pasta till it was tender. I then sliced up two large cloves of garlic into
a large skillet along with 6 tablespoons of olive oil. As soon as the oil was hot I tossed in the prawns and stirred them around
in the hot oil till they were all a beautiful pink colour. I the removed the prawns and set them asside. After removing garlic,
I sauted a pound of sliced fresh button mushrooms in the same oil. I then poured the remaining oil over the pasta and tossed it well with
the mushrooms on a nice serving dish. Then I sprinkled a good handful of Permasan cheese over the pasta and arranged the prawns around the outside. It was a great meal for two. We each got a dozen large prawns and more than enough pasta and mushrooms and two or three large glasses of cold Pinot Gris

We did have a nice salad as well but who cares......Lol

Last edited:

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
A week or so ago the Superstore were selling large bags of zipperback tiger prawns. These prawns are already de-veined and they come out of their shells quite willingly once they are thawed. I had divided the prawns into four smaller freezer bags. About 24 prawns per bag
or about a dozen for each of us. One bag is defrosting right now.
These prawns will be the main part of Sunday dinner. I just need to decide on a recipe.
My very own "stuffed shrimp" recipe: (quantities vary according to taste)
You'll need to butterfly your shrimp by slicing horizontally along the outter edge of the arc- but NOT all the way through (leave it whole).
Then place a small scallop (or 2) in the middle and reclose with a toothpick (or 2).
Next, mix some flour, ginger powder, salt and breadcrumbs together in a bowl.
Another bowl is set up with eggs (beaten), dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Dip each shrimp in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then in the flour mixture again and set aside.
Heat skillet with oil (just enough to cover the bottom and then some).
Sauté the shrimp GENTLY, turning them with tongs until all is cooked through but not overly cooked.
Make up your own dip, I usually just use melted butter.
Bon apetit!

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh come on, I assume you grow them yourself and know what exactly are in yours?
Nah, he gallops around the world on his sea horse. To places like the Indo west Pacific, South East Asia, Australia, Sea of japan or off the Arabian Peninsula, on his personal aquatic steed, and rounds up those little doggies himself.