Dessert Adventures

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Today I bought a case of mangoes to make chutney with. I figure I don't need to cook up all ten mangoes, so, I should have one or two left for a dessert Friday night. I was thinking Mango pudding when something on the tv made me think.....

Cream puffs!! So, I'm thinking a whipped mango cream filling in home made puff shells would be just what the doctor ordered.

What do you guys think? Any better ideas for a luxurious mango dessert?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I assume Kerrie that you've already had your mango dessert. Sounds great. We had a friend(now deceased)who used to bring us a case of fresh peaches from the Okanagan. One of the things we did was the cream puff thing with sliced fresh peaches. Mangoes are a little more exotic. Should be excellent.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It was wonderful, but, the filling was a bit runny so I ended up popping them into the freezer and serving them still half frozen, kind of an ice cream thing... it was super yummy.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I make a Mango/Cardamom/Brandy/Lime jam to die for-much better than a Chutney.

The only caveat is that the Mangoes must be less than $5/case of 12 I prefer $3-$4 best of all.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I make a Mango/Cardamom/Brandy/Lime jam to die for-much better than a Chutney.

The only caveat is that the Mangoes must be less than $5/case of 12 I prefer $3-$4 best of all.

I looked at the price of specialty jams and chutneys and compared it to my input cost.... I spent a total of $20 for mangoes, jars, etc., for a yeild of 13 jars of chutney, which retail for $6 a piece. $20 to make nearly $80 worth of chutney... I can't complain.