Bread Machines....

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
My boyfriend has a bread machine and I didn't like the packaged bread mixes he was buying so we put the machine away.

I found a book at St. Vincent De Paul with recipes for making healthy bread from scratch in the machine. Unfortunately for some reason the whole wheat setting does not work in this machine and I still don't like the shape of the bread when it comes out.

My question is how would I make whole wheat bread and can I remove the dough and put it in a regular bread pan to bake in the oven? If I can then when do I remove the dough, how long does it need to rise and at what temperature do I bake it and for how long?

This is the display on the machine.

I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

rufus

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Select Dough. Let the bread machine go till the end of the first kneading cycle. Remove the dough to a floured board and form it into a ball shape. put dough into a greased bowl and let rise till it doubles in size. You can either form the dough into one large French loaf or two smaller ones and place on large greased cookie sheet. You could also divide dough into two regular bread pans. After the bread rises for about forty minutes, bake at 350 degrees untill bread is golden brown and feels hollow when rapped with your knuckles. Usually about thirty minutes.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Have you ever tried "Ready Bake"bread? We ge it the Super Store,put it in the pan,let it rise bake for 30 min.. Just like mother used to make.
We used to have a bread maker,found the RB easier and better bread,BUT,I've only seen white and whole wheat

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
I buy the same thing here but with a different name. I get 5 loaves of white or 4 loaves of whole wheat in the frozen food section. I use that but I find that the bread from the maker doesn't go moldy as quickly and I get a better variety for less money. I also like the fact that I know what is in the bread that we are eating.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I also buy a package of 5 frozen loaves. You save a lot of $ that way. I take one out, put it in a plastic bag and leave in the fridge overnight, and the next day it is ready to be baked. It takes every bit as good as freshly bought bread.

Another good thing is that you can bake half a loaf and leave the other half for the next day. Sometimes you can pull off a few small bits and use it as dumplings in your home made soup.