6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
1 small onion, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 325ºF.

Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute.

Arrange potatoes in greased 2 quart casserole in 3 layers, topping each layer with part of the chopped onions and 1/3 of the sauce. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, broken into little pieces.

Cover and bake until potatoes are tender, about 60-70 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minute before serving.

Serves 6

I used the above recipe to go with a lovely big roast ham. It was superb.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Crumbled bacon can be added to the above recipe, or maybe a cup of grated cheddar cheese.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Looks yummy! I use a similar recipe, but I mix a can of mushroom soup with the milk for a bit of a change.

Has anyone ever made scalloped spuds with a rice flour instead of wheat flour? I'd like to make some for my Dad for Easter dinner - he suffers from Celiac disease, but I'm still not that great working with rice flour - about half the stuff I make with it comes out fine, and the other half... not so much. Some Celiac recipes are actually pretty awful I've found.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Looks yummy! I use a similar recipe, but I mix a can of mushroom soup with the milk for a bit of a change.

Has anyone ever made scalloped spuds with a rice flour instead of wheat flour? I'd like to make some for my Dad for Easter dinner - he suffers from Celiac disease, but I'm still not that great working with rice flour - about half the stuff I make with it comes out fine, and the other half... not so much. Some Celiac recipes are actually pretty awful I've found.

Shouldn't be a problem. I've found that 3 tablespoons of corn starch works as well as flour. Just stir the corn starch into a half cup of the milk and add it to the rest of the milk and stir while it heats and thickens. Some brands of corn starch say on the label that it is gluten free. We've been buying corn starch in bulk or no name for so long I've forgotten what the brands are. Btw, you can do exactly the same thing with rice flour.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Crumbled bacon can be added to the above recipe, or maybe a cup of grated cheddar cheese.
My recipe is much the same as yours Juan but - I add the cheese to the sauce first because the sauce really is just an ordinary white sauce anyway. The next best thing to do though is to add the potatoes to the cheese sauce and heat them through before you put them into the casserole dish for the oven. It takes less time to cook them and really mixes the sauce through well. Since I've done that they are even more yummy than before. Use old cheese to get a good cheese flavor. It's the only place I use old cheese.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Tapioca starch works nicely as a thickener. Also instant mashed potatoes. Sometimes I add grated cheese to scalloped spuds, too, besides the bacon; kind of like a scalloped spuds au gratin. When I don't add cheese I sprinkle the top with parsley and cayenne.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

The flour is only there to thicken your sauce. Juan is quite right. The flour gives it a more milky creamy look but there certainly isn't anything wrong with using corn starch or Tapioca starch. If you add cheese no one will ever notice the difference anyway.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
An update on that scalloped potato recipe.

I tried the recipe again last night. We had leftover ham and the company we had didn't know about it. We used the rice flour but without all the butter. I also added cheddar cheese to the sauce. I simply whisked the flour into a cup of the milk and added that to the rest of the milk and stirred till it thickened. I drizzled maybe one and a half tablespoons of butter over the potatoes before baking. It turned out really well and looked very much like the picture in the OP.

Enjoy

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't see any pictures but the tater recipe sounds great