Don’t Tell the Kids

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not sure how eating rabbit qualifies as technology, but I can say that I have eaten it. And you are right about rabbits being easy to raise - the multiply like... well, like rabbits.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mmmmm....my favorite is stuffed and roasted (like chickens...same spices).
The stuffing out of a rabbit is amazingly moist (so much dark meat). Watch
out for buckshot, 'cuz that does nothing good for your teeth.

Last edited:

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Buckshot !? what a sportsman,a single shot 22 is the weapon of choice here.When I was a kid and meat was meat we ate a lot of porcupine,didn't need to waste a shell on them,just a stout stick applied to the snout. But now there are pretty much no 'pines left since they did so much damage to the forest.
Why did the chicken cross the road?
To prove to the porcupine it could be done.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Buckshot !? what a sportsman,a single shot 22 is the weapon of choice here.When I was a kid and meat was meat we ate a lot of porcupine,didn't need to waste a shell on them,just a stout stick applied to the snout. But now there are pretty much no 'pines left since they did so much damage to the forest.
That is just silly. By that reasoning there should be no humans left either. Could it be that they are just too slow to avoid the club wielded by humans. In most of Canada, they are a protected species.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Sorry. Birdshot. We use the 22's for Gophers out here. Porcupines are
off the menu as they are protected (& a good survival food as a 90yr old
with a cane can chase them down and club them for a meal if need be).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Mmmmm....my favorite is stuffed and roasted (like chickens...same spices).
The stuffing out of a rabbit is amazingly moist (so much dark meat). Watch
out for buckshot, 'cuz that does nothing good for your teeth.

Buckshot shouldn't be a problem. They would be easy enough to see but most buckshot would have gone straight through. Birdshot is another matter.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
No cliffy,it's not silly at all,porcupines were killed on sight here by pretty much any woodlot owner/logger for years,even to the extent of importing fishers to help get rid of them.
I've never heard of porcupines being protected,you must be getting them mixed up with with the porcupine caribou herd.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No cliffy,it's not silly at all,porcupines were killed on sight here by pretty much any woodlot owner/logger for years,even to the extent of importing fishers to help get rid of them.
I've never heard of porcupines being protected,you must be getting them mixed up with with the porcupine caribou herd.
Read Ron's post #8. They are protected. What back woods do you live in?

People are the natural enemy of the forests and her creatures. Killing porcupines is just part of the insanity.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
For us Critters with opposable digits, and therefore the ability to use tools,
a Porcupine is pretty much defenseless if it can't stick you....and it can't
out-run you. As long as you have something like a shovel, it's going in the
soup pot.

If they weren't protected out here, they wouldn't be anywhere but the far
north out here. If you're stuck in the bush, they're the one thing that anyone
can make a meal out of.

Don't get me wrong, as the Porcupine is no pushover if you have no Thumbs.
One got into a corral with a cow (& her calf) out on our farm....& the Momma
thought she needed to protect the calf....& she did kill the Porcupine, but she
was a mess of quills. One side of her head & face was twice the size of the
other the way it swelled with quills.

Anyway....Rabbits are good eats. Maybe some of you could hit a rabbit on
fly....but I'm not one of you. Birdshot increases the odds of dinner. I recall my
Father years ago (in the 70's) cracking a Molar on shot in a rabbit on a long
weekend, and having to wait it out 'till Tuesday to get something done about
it.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Last thing I;m going to say on this,Porcupines are NOT protected here,they may well be in sasketchabush{but they have no trees any way}but that's no nevermind to me.
Yes rabbits are yummy,and a lot easier to skin than a porcupine.The meat,for those of you that have never had the chance,is pretty much the same IF you get the right kind of 'pine,We have two main kinds here,hardwood and softwood. The hardwood 'pines have shiney black quills and the meat is like rabbit,meby a bit wilder tasting,The sortwood is a pissy yellow colour,like uncle wills mustache and they taste a bit like turpintine.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The fur makes excellent gloves, too. (I mean rabbit fur. I don't know about porcy fur).