spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
News Toronto & GTA
Teen burned in KFC poutine mishap
By DON PEAT, TORONTO SUN
Last Updated: 19th January 2010, 9:07am
StoryCommentsEmail Story Print Size A A A Report Typo Share with:
Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Newsvine Reddit Technorati Feed Me Yahoo Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blogmarks Netvouz Scuttle Sitejot + What are these?

Kendell Lakin, 15, of Acton, burned her face after having an epileptic seizure at KFC and falling into her poutine. (Photo courtesy of the Lakin family) This doesn’t sound finger lickin’ good.
An Acton teen was left with second-degree burns Saturday after having an epileptic seizure inside a KFC outlet and landing face-down in her piping-hot poutine.
Her irate father told the Sun Monday he’s not after a multi-million dollar lawsuit, he just wants to speak out to warn others and perhaps get the Colonel to turn the temperature down on the cheese and gravy.
Lee Lakin said he even accepts some responsibility for the incident because he let his daughter Kendell, 15, go to fast-food outlet alone on Saturday.
“I’m not looking for $10 million,” Lakin said. “I’m looking for someone to stand up and say, ‘We’re sorry Mr. Lakin, we’re sorry Kendell. We want to make this right and hey everybody this food is hot.’”
When his daughter went into a full seizure inside the town’s Queen St. KFC, the teen fell forward into the poutine she had just purchased, burning her chin and neck.
Customers in the restaurant rushed to her aid, pulling her out of the Canadian classic dish. Someone inside the restaurant called 911 and her family.
Lakin got to the eatery a short time later and while paramedics were tending to his daughter, her chin started to blister and her neck appeared red and burned. She went to the hospital and was treated for second-degree burns.
Her chin and bottom lip have several large blisters.
“Her whole neck area was brutally red,” Lakin said, adding even the hospital staff were shocked the burns were caused by gravy.
A trip back to the KFC Sunday to speak to the manager got dad boiling mad, because he said personnel seemed to show little concern for his daughter.
“One comment the manager said to me was, ‘The poutine comes in frozen so we really have to heat it up,’” Lakin said. “KFC needs to figure out how to make this poutine without burning people.
“You’ve got hot gravy and hot cheese, two really hot elements in there.”
Priszm Income Funds, the franchisee that owns the Acton location, issued a statement to the Sun, expressing its concern about the incident.
“We feel terrible for our customer,” the statement read. “We are grateful that the customer is now recovering.”
“While this particular situation is highly unusual, KFC in Canada is not only committed to ensuring that our customers receive high quality products, but we also take food safety and the general safety of our customers very seriously.”
The statement stressed that KFC in Canada complies with all government food standards.
“Government regulations require that our gravy meets the critical control point compliance requirements of temperatures between 140 degrees Fahrenheit and 165 degrees Fahrenheit,” the franchisee stated. “We’ve confirmed that our Acton store continues to meet these food safety standards.”
don.peat@sunmedia.ca
Teen burned in KFC poutine mishap | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if forgot to add this question to my post.

i've never eaten poutine. is poutine similar to french fries?:?::-?

Last edited:

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
So let me see if I get this right, no one should be allowed to eat hot food because some kid had an epileptic fit while eating it?. If she had a seizure while eating ice cream and got a brain freeze does that mean we should ban frozen food?....

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Everyone knows that poutine is deadly. This is just another way for it to kill.

For Spaminator - poutine is a murderous concoction consisting of French fries covered with lumps of cheese and then covered with gravy. If you want a heart attack this is a quick way to get one. It was reportedly invented in Quebec as an apology for maple syrup. Interestingly it has now made its way to a few of the northern US states. Like, Americans don't have enough artery-hardening food, they have to import it from Canada.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Poutine is generally french fries with gravy and cheese.

Everyone knows that poutine is deadly. This is just another way for it to kill.

For Spaminator - poutine is a murderous concoction consisting of French fries covered with lumps of cheese and then covered with gravy. If you want a heart attack this is a quick way to get one. It was reportedly invented in Quebec as an apology for maple syrup. Interestingly it has now made its way to a few of the northern US states. Like, Americans don't have enough artery-hardening food, they have to import it from Canada.
thanks for the info.:smile:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Poutine made with yam fries are great tasting, but yes, will kill you just as fast. Although I've had them several times and I'm not dead yet. Close call this morning but no cigar.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
I can't stand the smell or sight of poutine. I know people love it alot, but looking at all that heart stopper stuff just makes me think 'gross'.

As for the girl in KFC. I feel bad for her, and now she'll have to live with those burn scares (assuming second degree burns don't fully heal) on her face for the rest of her life. I just can't believe the father let his epilectic girl go off by herself. What was he thinking?

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
I can't stand the smell or sight of poutine. I know people love it alot, but looking at all that heart stopper stuff just makes me think 'gross'.

As for the girl in KFC. I feel bad for her, and now she'll have to live with those burn scares (assuming second degree burns don't fully heal) on her face for the rest of her life. I just can't believe the father let his epilectic girl go off by herself. What was he thinking?

He was letting a 15 year old eat a years worth of cholesterol and fat in 1 sitting, I doubt he has the mental capacity to think about consequences.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh good God... on so many levels, sheesh.

First of all, what kind of moron doesn't understand that gravy and cheese hold heat like a son of a bitch? There's a reason for the term 'pizza burn' to describe a blistered mouth. Cheese holds heat like a son of a bitch! They need to figure out a way to cook this food without burning people!? **** man, get out of the food court, into your kitchen, and learn a little bit about the physics of food.

Second of all... get over poutine people. Any food can end up bad for you if you make it a steady diet. A plate of poutine once in a blue moon won't kill you.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This seems to be a case where the father is attempting to shift blame away from himself and trying to get some lawsuit money as an added bonus. I hope that he will not see a penny.

I feel bad for his daughter, as she will have a lengthy recovery ahead of her, but the poutine itself is not to blame. She could have fallen while walking down the street and bumped her head, fallen while walking along a street and gotten hit by a car, etc., etc.!

As for myself, I enjoy a bowl of poutine from time to time. Like anything, eating it in moderation will not kill you.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This story is hilarious. She has a seizure, and falls face-first into her food, so it's the restaurant's fault?

Now at KFC: no customers with epilepsy allowed inside the building.