Need help to convert...

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
a recipe from the original to a pizza sauce. The following is a recipe I got from the Ball canning web site. I like the spices used and think it would be a good pizza sauce. If I make a basic tomato sauce how much sauce would I need and how much of the spice would I need to add?

Tomatoes & Tomato Juices

< Back

Herbed Seasoned Tomatoes

Makes about 6 (16 oz) pints View half-serving recipe >

You will need:
� 12 cups halved cored peeled tomatoes (about 24 medium or 8 lb)
� Water
� Spice blend(s), see below
� Bottled lemon juice
� Salt, optional
� 6 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) COMBINE tomatoes with just enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 5 minutes.
3.) ADD specified quantity of your chosen spice blend, 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt, if using, to each hot jar.
4.) PACK tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot cooking liquid over tomatoes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
5.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 40 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Italian Spice Blend
Makes about 6 (32 oz) quarts or 12 (16 oz) pints

You will need:
� 4 tsp basil
� 2 tsp thyme
� 2-1/2 tsp oregano
� 1-1/2 tsp rosemary
� 1-1/2 tsp sage
� 1 tsp garlic powder
� 1 tsp hot pepper flakes, optional

1.) ADD 2-1/4 tsp of spice blend to each pint jar. If omitting hot pepper flakes, use only 2 tsp.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd ditch the thyme, pepper and sage and add 1/2tsp of powdered mustard and use real garlic for the oils.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'd ditch the thyme, pepper and sage and add 1/2tsp of powdered mustard and use real garlic for the oils.
No no no! Ditch the sage - not the thyme. No mustard powder in pizza sauce. You have to be careful using real garlic unless you cook with it all the time. It's ever so much stronger. Better to add more as needed when you are making your pizza than to have a whole batch of sauce you don't want.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Needs more garlic. lol 1 measly tsp of garlic powder for 6 quarts? sheeeesh Sage? I use that in poultry seasoning. Odd thought for pizza. No mustard either. lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
rufus pretty clearly said the spicing was why this recipe was the one she wanted to use.... what she needs to know is how to make a thicker tomatoe base, not YOUR tastes when it comes to spices, no?

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Guys I appreciate your input, but no one has answered my question. If you read the recipe it is for whole tomatoes with the spices added to the jar before putting in the tomatoes.

I need to know how much tomato sauce I should make and how much of the spices I need to add to it.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
rufus pretty clearly said the spicing was why this recipe was the one she wanted to use.... what she needs to know is how to make a thicker tomatoe base, not YOUR tastes when it comes to spices, no?

Thank you Karrie you actually read the recipe.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Rufus, are you wanting to make this fresh with garden tomatoes? Or are you going to use canned tomatoes?

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Rufus, are you wanting to make this fresh with garden tomatoes? Or are you going to use canned tomatoes?

I just finished picking all the tomatoes off our plants and I have a lot of them to use up. It is definitely fresh.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personally, if you're not going to make it with fresh tomatoes, I'd either halve the spices and add them to 1 can each of tomatoe sauce and paste, or, keep them at the volume they're at, and use 2 cans each.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just finished picking all the tomatoes off our plants and I have a lot of them to use up. It is definitely fresh.

well, with fresh tomatoes it gets trickier.... I think you'd need to look at how to make a proper tomatoe paste if you want a proper pizza sauce consistency. And, frankly, no one I know really takes the time to do that because, well, when you factor in your time it's cheaper to buy the canned stuff. lol.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
well, with fresh tomatoes it gets trickier.... I think you'd need to look at how to make a proper tomatoe paste if you want a proper pizza sauce consistency. And, frankly, no one I know really takes the time to do that because, well, when you factor in your time it's cheaper to buy the canned stuff. lol.

I just made 12 pints of tomato sauce with onion, garlic and fresh, from my garden, basil and it turned out really well. As far as time is concerned since I am retired all I have is time to try new recipes.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just made 12 pints of tomato sauce with onion, garlic and fresh, from my garden, basil and it turned out really well. As far as time is concerned since I am retired all I have is time to try new recipes.

allrecipes.com will likely have some good recipes that you can apply to the pizza sauce you want to make.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
I have a hand crank machine that separates the seeds and skin from the tomatoes without having to blanch them first. It saves me tons of time this way.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
that's handy to have. We end up eating all our tomatoes fresh (and then we're off tomatoes for the first month or two of winter... lol), so I haven't had to start canning yet, but, if I ever have a larger tomatoe garden I'm sure I'll need to start.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
that's handy to have. We end up eating all our tomatoes fresh (and then we're off tomatoes for the first month or two of winter... lol), so I haven't had to start canning yet, but, if I ever have a larger tomatoe garden I'm sure I'll need to start.

We planted 192 tomato plants this year because we thought a flat only had 24 plants each so we bought 4 flats thinking that would give us 96 plants. Much to our surprise each flat contained 48 plants which made 192 plants. We have given away bags and bags of tomatoes to everyone and anyone who wanted them. But we still have lots left.

I have already canned enough stewed and whole tomatoes, sauces, salsa and any other recipe that I could find for tomatoes.

Now I would like to make our own pizza sauce so that we don't have to buy it ths winter.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Using your ingredients and spices, I would suggest you need at least two cups of water and a can or two of tomato paste.* I assume you are using canned tomatoes. Leave the tomato paste until the end and add as much as you need to get it to the thickness you require.

*I see you are probably using fresh tomatoes. You will still need to achieve the thickness you want and the easiest way is using tomato paste. Btw, tomato paste is less than a dollar a can and you can't make it for that....

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just a couple more things. For Pizza sauce you will have to chop the tomatoes a bit. It's good to have bits of whole tomato in the sauce but you probably don't want tomato halves. I would say that a teaspoon of red pepper flakes might be a little too much but if you like the spice mix...Go for it...;-):smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Start with a small batch - say 4 cups of tomatoes. Chop them finely, and I'd say for a batch that size you'd want approx 1 tbsp of the spice mix. After cooking, you might use a hand-held blender to puree the sauce more.

Test it, then you can adjust the spices. That's why I'd suggest about a 4 cup batch, until you get the proportions just right.