The best beef roast and how to cook it

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We've just had a topic about Yorkshire Pudding. What about the beef roast to go with it. My favorite roast is the standing rib roast, or prime rib. My butcher now asks $11.99 per pound for a prime rib. If we have the whole family to dinner, we are looking at a five ribber. About seven pounds, or about eighty bucks to buy the roast. Another roast we use fairly often is the rump roast....Some call it an outside round. If you can find a rump roast that is well marbled it can be just as good as a prime rib and you will get better gravy. Just be sure you slice it across the grain.
Does anybody have a favorite cut of beef for roasting, and how do you cook it?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The standing rib I would cook at 325 degrees for twenty minutes per pound to make it just a little rare in the middle.
A rump roast is a whole other kettle of fish. Give it twenty five minutes per pound and if it is still too rare zap it in the microwave for ten minutes.

Ideas?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We make little cuts in the meat, insert slices of garlic, and then super hot sear the roast all around for seconds each side. We cook pretty much any cut till it's about 130 degrees on the inside at about 350º F. Makes a nice medium rare roast.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We've just had a topic about Yorkshire Pudding. What about the beef roast to go with it. My favorite roast is the standing rib roast, or prime rib. My butcher now asks $11.99 per pound for a prime rib. If we have the whole family to dinner, we are looking at a five ribber. About seven pounds, or about eighty bucks to buy the roast. Another roast we use fairly often is the rump roast....Some call it an outside round. If you can find a rump roast that is well marbled it can be just as good as a prime rib and you will get better gravy. Just be sure you slice it across the grain.
Does anybody have a favorite cut of beef for roasting, and how do you cook it?
S.O.M. sells the outside round for a good price. We usually only buy it when it's on sale. The packaging looks awful because it is quite filled with blood. I know - sounds gross. Everytime those went through my till I used to wonder why anyone would buy one. They seem to have reduced the amt. of fluid in the bags now. Anyway, hubby was in the store buying meat and the butcher told him that he guaranteed the roast would be tender. I believe it says that on the package. Anyway, he was very right. The roast was very well priced and easily fed all 11 of us with enough left for sandwiches the next day.
For nice brown gravy, I sear a roast before it goes in the oven. I seer it completely and seal in all that juice. If I have enough time, I cook it slowly but if I don't, I cook at 350 (325 if I use my convection). We always get a nice tender roast. Before cooking I always liberally season it with garlic powder, Lawry's seasoning salt and pepper.

Last edited by a moderator:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
L. Gilbert

The 7 ounce jar or the beef base is about $4.50 at Save On. So far we've tried the beef and the chicken....They all seem to be about the same price.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't cook a roast very often, but if I do, it's usually a small 'sirloin tip'.
I don't do much to it at all, put it in an open small roaster, a little salt and pepper,
no msg, won't eat it. A little garlic, cook till medium done.
Makes nice gravy, (but we don't eat gravy much at all anymore, so just a little,
mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding (sometimes), and lots of veggies.
I don't use any sauces or other meat flavourings, we eat it very plain, and very tasty.
The standing rib roasts would be my choice for a big family meal, delicious,
just as the rib steaks are for barbequeing.

Brings back the memories when I was a little girl, sitting around the table on
a sunday, and my 'english' mom serving the roast beef and all the trimmings.
And, probably 'trifle' for dessert.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I've found a new product...At least new to me. The product is called "Better than Bouilion". Oxo and Bovril have been taken over by Knorr and the big ingredient in all of them is MSG. This new product is actually made from beef.

Better than Bouillon, photo - Google Image Search
We still sell lots of oxo and Bovril. We also sell the "Better than Bouillon". It is a little pricey - around $7.00 for a very small bottle of it. I was putting some spices out when a mother/daughter team came by one day. The daughter was extremely upset because we didn't have vegetarian oxo. I noticed that we had vegetarian "Better than Bouillon" and showed her so while she too said it was a bit pricey, she did buy it. If Knorr has taken over - we still sell a lot of oxo and our shelves are well stocked. It was actually new stock I was putting out. Little things one gets to do when your hands won't handle working on cash.:smile: You won't run into me if you go there. I'm off for at least a couple of months right now.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
L. Gilbert

The 7 ounce jar or the beef base is about $4.50 at Save On. So far we've tried the beef and the chicken....They all seem to be about the same price.
When did you buy it last? I just noticed the price you've quoted. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm reasonably sure that the jar you describe (and I know it's the same product) was over $7.00 or very near that price. If I go to the store today I'll have to check that out. Prices of everything have gone up. I notice on this week's flyer there isn't even any rewards points being offered. First time I've ever seen that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When did you buy it last? I just noticed the price you've quoted. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm reasonably sure that the jar you describe (and I know it's the same product) was over $7.00 or very near that price. If I go to the store today I'll have to check that out. Prices of everything have gone up. I notice on this week's flyer there isn't even any rewards points being offered. First time I've ever seen that.

We bought the stuff maybe three months ago. I bought a jar of beef base and a jar of chicken base. The bill was under ten dollars. Maybe things have gone up....I know a lot of things have gone up. And then there is the possibility I'm wrong...It happened once in 1947...:lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We bought the stuff maybe three months ago. I bought a jar of beef base and a jar of chicken base. The bill was under ten dollars. Maybe things have gone up....I know a lot of things have gone up. And then there is the possibility I'm wrong...It happened once in 1947...:lol:
Hi Juan,
I did go to the store today. I was kind of right and kind of wrong. The jar is 8 oz size. The price is (oh - I hate to tell you this) -it's $8.29 so it's even gone up since I looked at it such a brief time ago. On the brighter side, they do have the 16 pack size of Bovril on sale for 2 boxes for $6.00 and you don't have to buy two to get the price at SOM. Everything has gone up. A case of pop that used to cost me $3.29 is now 3.99 for one flavour and 4.99 for another. Don't go shopping. It's a real downer.8O;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Juan,
I did go to the store today. I was kind of right and kind of wrong. The jar is 8 oz size. The price is (oh - I hate to tell you this) -it's $8.29 so it's even gone up since I looked at it such a brief time ago. On the brighter side, they do have the 16 pack size of Bovril on sale for 2 boxes for $6.00 and you don't have to buy two to get the price at SOM. Everything has gone up. A case of pop that used to cost me $3.29 is now 3.99 for one flavour and 4.99 for another. Don't go shopping. It's a real downer.8O;-)

This is a late post to this topic. We did a big grocery shopping yesterday. I checked the prices on Better than Boullion and you are right. It is over eight dollars. I would still buy it because it doesn't have MSG in it and you seem to only use about half as much Better than Boullion as you do Bovril or the others.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The prices have gone up so much it is scary. I'm not buying roasts any more, they
are too expensive. I will buy a cheaper cut, and pot roast it, I know it isn't quite
the same, but the tenderness can't be beat. I looked at the price of a standing rib
roast the other day, and it was $65.00, and not that big, as far as I'm concerned
they are the best, but they won't be on my table again.
I have been buying econo pckgs. of strip loin steaks, (not thin cut), we tried those
but don't like them as much. I cook one at a time and we share it, a good portion,
and the overall price isn't bad. I finally, over the years have convinced my husband
to eat steaks cooked 'medium', and quite pink inside, barbequed, they are so
tender and tasty, and he loves them.
We are carnivorians, (and as the commercial states), it's not for everyone, it is
a personal choice, don't have anything against vegetarians.:lol:
My doctor said that a steak shouldn't be any bigger than the size of a deck of cards. Took me a long time to come down to that size, but now I do, almost,and it is
a nice meal. (I don't buy the jumbo cards in the childrens dept. either ;-))
A nice pile of mushrooms over the steak adds great flavour and creates a bigger
look.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The prices have gone up so much it is scary. I'm not buying roasts any more, they
are too expensive. I will buy a cheaper cut, and pot roast it, I know it isn't quite
the same, but the tenderness can't be beat. I looked at the price of a standing rib
roast the other day, and it was $65.00, and not that big, as far as I'm concerned
they are the best, but they won't be on my table again.
I have been buying econo pckgs. of strip loin steaks, (not thin cut), we tried those
but don't like them as much. I cook one at a time and we share it, a good portion,
and the overall price isn't bad. I finally, over the years have convinced my husband
to eat steaks cooked 'medium', and quite pink inside, barbequed, they are so
tender and tasty, and he loves them.
We are carnivorians, (and as the commercial states), it's not for everyone, it is
a personal choice, don't have anything against vegetarians.:lol:
My doctor said that a steak shouldn't be any bigger than the size of a deck of cards. Took me a long time to come down to that size, but now I do, almost,and it is
a nice meal. (I don't buy the jumbo cards in the childrens dept. either ;-))
A nice pile of mushrooms over the steak adds great flavour and creates a bigger
look.

A week or so ago the Superstore had a deal on ribeye steaks. They had enough steaks out so you could pick and choose a bit. I picked out a half dozen steaks that were close to an inch thick. Cut in half for jan and I, they made steaks that were around six ounces each. Just about right in my estimation. As you say, a couple cups of sliced fresh mushrooms cooked in the steak pan juices makes it very nice.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
A week or so ago the Superstore had a deal on ribeye steaks. They had enough steaks out so you could pick and choose a bit. I picked out a half dozen steaks that were close to an inch thick. Cut in half for jan and I, they made steaks that were around six ounces each. Just about right in my estimation. As you say, a couple cups of sliced fresh mushrooms cooked in the steak pan juices makes it very nice.

Yeah, that's just a nice size.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
On Saturday we had a pot roast. It was a cross rib. The roast wouldn't fit in the crock pot so I browned the roast on all sides and put it in a roasting pan that fit the roast very tightly. There was room enough for an onion(quartered) and a few peeled but not crushed cloves of garlic, and a couple bay leaves. I pour in a can of beef broth and half a can of water, put the lid on and put it in the oven at 260 degrees. When I checked after 6 hours the roast was a shriveled little lump of tough meat floating in the juice that I wouldn't serve to anyone.

Any suggestions? I don't mean about that roast. I've already thrown it out. I mean about pot roasts in general.