Yorkshire Pudding

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yorkshire pudding is to roast beef and gravy, as bacon is to eggs. Over the years I've made Yorkshire pudding that turned out like little, floury hockey pucks. On the rare occasion the Yorkshire pudding turned out right, I didn't know why it did. The following recipe is guaranteed to give you golden brown yorkies that rise beautifully out of the pan five or six inches.

Three quarters of a cup of milk
half cup of water
four eggs
teaspoon of salt
dash of black pepper
two to three cups of all purpose flour

half cup of lard melted, bacon fat, or the clear fat drippings from your beef roast.

Place milk, water eggs, salt, pepper, in blender
Blend at high speed
while blending, add flour till the hole in the batter closes
Let rest for half an hour

In 425 degree oven, heat clean muffin pan for five or six minutes. Remove hot
pan and put three teaspoons of melted lard or beef drippings or bacon fat in each
muffin cup, Return pan to oven for six minutes. Remove pan from oven and divide batter into the twelve muffin cups.
Bake at 425 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes. They will be gorgeous. Bring these Yorkshires to the table just as people are sitting down. They will probably applaud...

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Juan,
I gave up trying to make good YP years ago. If I ever make it which is maybe once every 5 years or so, I use the package stuff and even then it looks about like how you described yours. My husband loves YP so, I copied and pasted and sent it to his computer. Now he can try. :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
...put three teaspoons of melted lard or beef drippings or bacon fat in each
muffin cup..

I have to ask... does the full tablespoon of fat get absorbed by the pudding? Or is there some left when it's done cooking?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have to ask... does the full tablespoon of fat get absorbed by the pudding? Or is there some left when it's done cooking?

I have it on good authority that angels come and take the fat away.....;-):lol:

Karrie, if you have a new muffin pan that hasn't been used for anything but Yorkshire Pudding and you brush a bit of the fat up the sides of the muffin cups you can get away with one and a half teaspoons. If you get the yorkshires out of the pan immediately after taking them out of the oven, there will be a bit of the fat left in the pan.
My first experience with Yorkshire Pudding was in GB and that Y.P. was absolutely swimming in fat. We probably have Yorkshire pudding maybe 6 or 7 times a year so I won't lose any sleep over it.
When I think about Home made bread and how everyone slathers copious quantities of butter on slices of hot bread that I make at least once a week, I can't worry too much about Yorkshire pudding.
Cheers

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Yorkshire pudding is to roast beef and gravy, as bacon is to eggs. Over the years I've made Yorkshire pudding that turned out like little, floury hockey pucks. On the rare occasion the Yorkshire pudding turned out right, I didn't know why it did. The following recipe is guaranteed to give you golden brown yorkies that rise beautifully out of the pan five or six inches.

Three quarters of a cup of milk
half cup of water
four eggs
teaspoon of salt
dash of black pepper
two to three cups of all purpose flour

half cup of lard melted, bacon fat, or the clear fat drippings from your beef roast.

Place milk, water eggs, salt, pepper, in blender
Blend at high speed
while blending, add flour till the hole in the batter closes
Let rest for half an hour

In 425 degree oven, heat clean muffin pan for five or six minutes. Remove hot
pan and put three teaspoons of melted lard or beef drippings or bacon fat in each
muffin cup, Return pan to oven for six minutes. Remove pan from oven and divide batter into the twelve muffin cups.
Bake at 425 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes. They will be gorgeous. Bring these Yorkshires to the table just as people are sitting down. They will probably applaud...

oh this sounds so good! I love Yorkshire Pudding! My mom made amazing YP - and she made it often - like there was nothing to it. Couple of times when she served it to guests, they had no idea what to do with it and ripped them open and spread butter on 'em. I'm sure that was good too. :p

I've only attempted it a few times - some batches were good, others... not so much. :cool:

oh gawd, I'm sooo craving a l'il YP and roast beef now!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I think about Home made bread and how everyone slathers copious quantities of butter on slices of hot bread that I make at least once a week, I can't worry too much about Yorkshire pudding.
Cheers

Oh absolutely, I've been known to deep fry from time to time... don't even want to calculate the amount of fat we get when I fry up a batch of bread dough... lol. But, I was curious as to how rich they are in the end, or if it was mainly a deep fry effect with fat left over at the end.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I thought the muffin types were called popovers and the cake type thingy was actually the YP.
Anyway, wifey found that making pancake batter works like a charm for them. I think she even cheated and used pancake mix a couple times. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
oh this sounds so good! I love Yorkshire Pudding! My mom made amazing YP - and she made it often - like there was nothing to it. Couple of times when she served it to guests, they had no idea what to do with it and ripped them open and spread butter on 'em. I'm sure that was good too. :p

I've only attempted it a few times - some batches were good, others... not so much. :cool:

oh gawd, I'm sooo craving a l'il YP and roast beef now!

I found this recipe on the web almost a year ago and it hasn't let me down once. Btw, the Yorkshire I had in GB was made in a cake pan that must have had an inch of fat in it when the batter was poured in. When you cut a piece of it you had to hold it over the pan to catch the drips of fat. The secret in this recipe is the eggs....two more eggs than the usual recipe calls for.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh absolutely, I've been known to deep fry from time to time... don't even want to calculate the amount of fat we get when I fry up a batch of bread dough... lol. But, I was curious as to how rich they are in the end, or if it was mainly a deep fry effect with fat left over at the end.
A lot of the fat is absorbed.
"Dough Dodgers" is what we called fried bread dough. God Karrie, I haven't done that in years. With butter and gobs of strawberry jam...Loved it...;-):lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I haven't had Yorkshire Pudding in a looooong time. I am seriously craving it now.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Mix this up in your blender. refridgerate for at least 4 hours. Whirl up for just 15 seconds, then pour in muffin tins. No kidding the refridgeration is the most important part! Must be the super absorbtion of the flour particles. They are twice as fluffy with the extra time in the "fridge".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We mostly think about Yorkshire Pudding as going with roast beef. It also goes great with a beef pot roast, or a nice pork roast....Especially good if there is nice dark gravy with the pork roast.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have Yorkshire puddings every Sunday with my Sunday lunch. You can't beat them doused in gravy with maybe a dollop of stuffing in the middle.

Or if you make it with two big juicy sausages baked into the middle of it, you'll have Toad in the Hole.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have Yorkshire puddings every Sunday with my Sunday lunch. You can't beat them doused in gravy with maybe a dollop of stuffing in the middle.

Or if you make it with two big juicy sausages baked into the middle of it, you'll have Toad in the Hole.

Absolutely right Blackleaf.
I pour the batter over a dozen breakfast sausages and bake it in the oven. We call it "pigs in blankets"

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A lot of the fat is absorbed.
"Dough Dodgers" is what we called fried bread dough. God Karrie, I haven't done that in years. With butter and gobs of strawberry jam...Loved it...;-):lol:

I sprinkle them with icing sugar straight out of the fryer.... :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Juan, have you ever tried to do your YP the TRULY original way? Where it would be on a rack beneath a racked joint of meat to catch the drippings?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, have you ever tried to do your YP the TRULY original way? Where it would be on a rack beneath a racked joint of meat to catch the drippings?

When I was a kid, many years ago, we had a stove that could have been used for exactly that. It had a spit for the joint of meat and a place underneath for the dripping pan. We never had Yorkshire Pudding. My mom was an American lady from Fargo North Dakota. I never had YP till well after I was married in 1966.

I found this but I'm sure you've already read it: A Brief History of Yorkshire Puddings:
'Yorkshires' have a humble origin back in the middle ages when they were known as 'dripping pudding'. The batter was cooked in a pan under the meat that was being roasted so that the fat and flavours from the meat were incorporated into the pudding. It was used as a 'filler' in hard times when there wasn't enough meat to go around, and even used as a main course on its own with onion gravy. Hannah Glasse, a housewife is credited with upgrading the original Dripping Pudding recipe to its status of Yorkshire Pudding. Her cookbook, The Art of Cookery was published in 1747 and was the best of its kind for decades.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My mom used to make 'pigs in a blanket', loved it, I'll have make it, you
jogged my memory.

There is another recipe called "pigs in blankets" where you roll up cooked sausage in pie crust dough and bake the in the oven till tho dough is brown and done. This is the one my mom did.