Sugar free/Low Carb

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
All your recipes sound delicious and I will try some of them, but being Diabetic I was hoping someone would have a few tried and true recipes for sugar free/low sugar desserts or low carb meals.

I have checked the Diabetic sites and belong to a few forums but I would rather use a recipe someone has already tried and enjoyed.

I also would like to know about slow cooker recipes anyone could recommend since we just bought a slow cooker.

I used to be a short order cook a long time ago but I wouldn't be able to make anything now that I made then because of what is in it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Personally, I like some short order food. Like Japanese stir fry, for instance. Here's one we use when we aren't near Edo's fast food restaurant:

meat (chicken seafood, etc) or tofu is optional
1 small or medium onion sliced
1 or 2 very small sweet red peppers ( Or about 1/2 the North American size) chunked
1 small head broccoli, sliced
1 -2 Tb tamari sauce, to taste (or soy sauce, oyster sauce, etc if you prefer)
3 cloves garlic sliced thinly
a nice salad oil for frying
sesame seeds, a Tb or two
ginger, about 4-5 cm finger ( 2-3 inches, or to taste ) match-sticked
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Cut up all the vegetables and then put the oil in a wok or large heavy frying pan and when heated, slide in the ginger, garlic and sesame seeds and toast a little, but not too much; light brown should do it. Add the onions and stir fry a bit, as well as the red pepper. Add the broccoli and stir fry a bit, then the meat or tofu. Toss and fry a minute or two, then add the tamari, and a bit of water and cover the pan briefly to steam the vegetables. Have a look after barely a minute and only cook them until they are tender-crisp. Taste the stir-fry and add salt and pepper to your liking. Serve hot and juicy over brown, or other, rice.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
All your recipes sound delicious and I will try some of them, but being Diabetic I was hoping someone would have a few tried and true recipes for sugar free/low sugar desserts or low carb meals.

I have checked the Diabetic sites and belong to a few forums but I would rather use a recipe someone has already tried and enjoyed.

I also would like to know about slow cooker recipes anyone could recommend since we just bought a slow cooker.

I used to be a short order cook a long time ago but I wouldn't be able to make anything now that I made then because of what is in it.
Splenda is a sugar replacement that tastes just like sugar.
It is designed to replace sugar in cooking and baking recipes.
Low carb/glycemic index cookbooks for type 2 diabetics
can be found at the library.

Trex

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Splenda is a sugar replacement that tastes just like sugar.
It is designed to replace sugar in cooking and baking recipes.
Low carb/glycemic index cookbooks for type 2 diabetics
can be found at the library.

Trex

I do use Sugar-Twin instead of sugar in some of the cookie recipes that I make. They taste okay but are just not the same as using real sugar. I printed a few cheesecake recipes from Sugar-Twins web site but haven't tried them yet.

I bought 2 recipe books for low carb cooking but I found that the recipes in them were tasteless and very boring.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
I posted one recipe.
As for slow cooker recipes, the ones we use are basically those from the cookbook that came with the cooker: chilis, stews, etc.

The slow cooker that we bought didn't come with a recipe book. Do you know of a web site specifically for slow cooker recipes?

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you for the site. I don't know my way around the web that well having only bought my first computer 9 or 10 months ago.

I bookmarked several to check out later.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I do use Sugar-Twin instead of sugar in some of the cookie recipes that I make. They taste okay but are just not the same as using real sugar. I printed a few cheesecake recipes from Sugar-Twins web site but haven't tried them yet.

I bought 2 recipe books for low carb cooking but I found that the recipes in them were tasteless and very boring.

Rufus,
Use Splenda.
I repeat, Splenda for cooking.
It comes in small packages and in bulk for cooking.
It also comes in brown for baking.
Trust me, I cook a lot.

I have been type 2 for 10 years.
Watch the carbs and the glycemic index.
There are good recipes out there.

Best of luck.

Trex

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Are you controlling your diabetes with insulin or just diet? What sorts of food do you like. There are a whole lot of different meats that can be cooked in a slow cooker or croc pot. I would guess that you try to limit starchy foods and fatty foods that eventually end up as sugar.

Lean cuts of meats such as beef, chicken, pork, lamb can all be done in your slow cooker. If you are limiting starch, replace the starch with green and yellow vegetables. My mother was diabetic so I remember some of the problems she had. I'll see if I can find some of her recipes.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thank you Trex
Trex is quite right about the Splenda. It sounds expensive when you go to buy it and to a certain degree, it is expensive. It comes in quite a large size package so that you can use it for baking and as he says, it comes it both white and brown. As Petros has pointed out, you can also use Stevia which is really really expensive but it's more for adding a little sweetness to something already prepared. Splenda is supposed to be an equal measure to sugar. One cup Splenda instead of one cup sugar. I used it oneday in baking muffins. No one noticed any difference in taste and I didn't tell that I used Splenda instead of sugar.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Diet Baby Back Ribs.

1) Sprinkle the ribs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Or, if you have a special rub you like that doesn't have sugar, by all means use that. I've used cajun and Old Bay and they are also good. Pat the spices in, and put ribs in the refrigerator for at least an hour......Overnight is best
Pour half a can of diet cola into crock pot.
Put the ribs in the croc pot. Cook for 8 hours or so on low. Every 45-60 minutes, add liquid if necessary (it probably won't be, but the amount of juice in the ribs does vary), and turn the ribs over.). (If you don't like any sweetness in your ribs, or if you just prefer not to use soda, white wine works well, or even white wine with a few drops of sweetener.)

You can make a diet barbeque sauce with a can of tomato paste and diet coke to thin it down a bit and finely chopped onions, garlic and chilli powder. Paint ribs generously with the barbeque sauce for the last hour of cooking.

This recipe works very well. Use a bit of sweetener if you must but I don't think it needs it.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Are you controlling your diabetes with insulin or just diet? What sorts of food do you like. There are a whole lot of different meats that can be cooked in a slow cooker or croc pot. I would guess that you try to limit starchy foods and fatty foods that eventually end up as sugar.

Lean cuts of meats such as beef, chicken, pork, lamb can all be done in your slow cooker. If you are limiting starch, replace the starch with green and yellow vegetables. My mother was diabetic so I remember some of the problems she had. I'll see if I can find some of her recipes.

I am on oral medication. I have lost over 70lbs since I was diagnosed by cutting out sweets, bread and watching carbs.

I always have liked lean meats and any type of vegetable. What I really miss are the deserts that I used to bake. I do make sugar free jello and pudding.
I did make a Lime cheesecake from a recipe I got on the Sugar-Twin web site and it turned out really well.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Diet Baby Back Ribs.

1) Sprinkle the ribs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Or, if you have a special rub you like that doesn't have sugar, by all means use that. I've used cajun and Old Bay and they are also good. Pat the spices in, and put ribs in the refrigerator for at least an hour......Overnight is best
Pour half a can of diet cola into crock pot.
Put the ribs in the croc pot. Cook for 8 hours or so on low. Every 45-60 minutes, add liquid if necessary (it probably won't be, but the amount of juice in the ribs does vary), and turn the ribs over.). (If you don't like any sweetness in your ribs, or if you just prefer not to use soda, white wine works well, or even white wine with a few drops of sweetener.)

You can make a diet barbeque sauce with a can of tomato paste and diet coke to thin it down a bit and finely chopped onions, garlic and chilli powder. Paint ribs generously with the barbeque sauce for the last hour of cooking.

This recipe works very well. Use a bit of sweetener if you must but I don't think it needs it.

Thank you for the recipe I will be sure to try it next time I make ribs. It sounds really delicious.

The problem that I have using a slow cooker is that I thought all the food had to be covered in liquid in order to cook properly over long periods of time. Is this not the case?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thank you for the recipe I will be sure to try it next time I make ribs. It sounds really delicious.

The problem that I have using a slow cooker is that I thought all the food had to be covered in liquid in order to cook properly over long periods of time. Is this not the case?

No that is not a problem. The ribs and a lot of other meats tend to give up a fair amount of water while cooking. When I do a lot of ribs I use our big canning kettle. I stand 5 or 6 racks of ribs on the metal widget that you stand the jars in. I use only a cup or two of liquid to steam the ribs for the initial cooking. Works great.