Plumb tasteless!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
'Plumb tasteless!'
Broadcast Date: July 16, 1957
Canadian food has no outstanding characteristic, none whatsoever, says Colonel Harland Sanders, the founder of the Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise. The colonel tells CBC's Joe Taylor that there wasn't one dish he particularly enjoyed on his trips across Canada, describing Canadian fare as "plumb tasteless!"

CBC commentator James Bannerman shares the colonel's opinions. Bannerman goes further saying the food is bland all across Canada and the only distinguishing character is that there isn't one at all.

At the end, some doofus goes on to defend the tastelessness of Canadian food by saying 'we like it'. :lol:

Listen to interview here:
'Plumb tasteless!' - CBC Archives

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

At the end, some doofus goes on to defend the tastelessness of Canadian food by saying 'we like it'. :lol:

Listen to interview here:
'Plumb tasteless!' - CBC Archives

ah yes, but the Colonel's recipe is SOOO secret that

On September 9, 2008, the one complete copy was temporarily moved to an undisclosed location under extremely tight security while KFC revamped the security at its corporate headquarters. Before the temporary move, KFC disclosed the following details about the recipe and its security arrangements:
  • The recipe, which includes exact amounts of each component, is written in pencil on a single sheet of notebook paper and signed by Sanders.
  • The recipe was locked in a filing cabinet with two separate combination locks. The cabinet also included vials of each of the 11 herbs and spices used.
  • Only two executives had access to the recipe at any one time. KFC refuses to disclose the names and titles of either executive.
  • One of the two executives said that no one had come close to guessing the contents of the secret recipe, and added that the actual recipe would include some surprises.......
A popular tale is that the chicken products came from highly genetically modified animals without feathers, beaks, or feet, which were easier to harvest; the corollary to the myth is that the chain was forced to change its name from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC since it otherwise would be falsely advertising their products as being made from actual chickens
oh ya. The Colonel ended up moving to Mississauga and living off "poutine" smothered in Maple syrup

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I don't think there is Canadian food? All we have is American fast food, British food, and a host of ethnic foods.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What is Canadian food? We are such a bunch of mutts representing just about every culture in the world. When I left Montreal to come out west I was astounded to find a sign in every restaurant window announcing they served Western Cuisine. I entered many an establishment trying to figure out just what that meant and finally figured out it meant hamburgers and Open Denvers. What an insult to the word cuisine. And most restaurants in the west challenge the concept of food (unless they are really good ethnic restaurants).

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What is Canadian food? We are such a bunch of mutts representing just about every culture in the world. When I left Montreal to come out west I was astounded to find a sign in every restaurant window announcing they served Western Cuisine. I entered many an establishment trying to figure out just what that meant and finally figured out it meant hamburgers and Open Denvers. What an insult to the word cuisine. And most restaurants in the west challenge the concept of food (unless they are really good ethnic restaurants).

Exactly. I wonder if he meant just the food he ate here was bland? I hope he ain't at something other then fast food...cause that would be sad.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
American fast food is a perversion of traditional dishes, not necessarily native to the US - although they claim they invented the hamburger. Then there's poutine. I don't know if anyone else eats that. :D

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

The only "real" Western Canadian food is at Earls. It's unique to Western an Pacific Canada. They don't have it east of Winnipeg

Actually BC has unique seafood and great ethnic food

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
ah yes, but the Colonel's recipe is SOOO secret that

On September 9, 2008, the one complete copy was temporarily moved to an undisclosed location under extremely tight security while KFC revamped the security at its corporate headquarters. Before the temporary move, KFC disclosed the following details about the recipe and its security arrangements:
  • The recipe, which includes exact amounts of each component, is written in pencil on a single sheet of notebook paper and signed by Sanders.
  • The recipe was locked in a filing cabinet with two separate combination locks. The cabinet also included vials of each of the 11 herbs and spices used.
  • Only two executives had access to the recipe at any one time. KFC refuses to disclose the names and titles of either executive.
  • One of the two executives said that no one had come close to guessing the contents of the secret recipe, and added that the actual recipe would include some surprises.......
A popular tale is that the chicken products came from highly genetically modified animals without feathers, beaks, or feet, which were easier to harvest; the corollary to the myth is that the chain was forced to change its name from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC since it otherwise would be falsely advertising their products as being made from actual chickens
oh ya. The Colonel ended up moving to Mississauga and living off "poutine" smothered in Maple syrup

KFC is SO GROSS.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There is no "British" food. That's actually wallboard paste molded into little shapes of real food
Ahem! Roast Beef and YORKSHIRE puddings. There simply is NOTHING better!

Christmas pudding and white sauce...yummi!

Raisen Scones.

Sheppards pie (what we call whohash at our house)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There is no "British" food. That's actually wallboard paste molded into little shapes of real food
Now that is funny. True but funny! The only exception would be "french" fries and I don't know if they are british or french. :smile:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Actually BC has unique seafood

Smoked sockeye...yum! not that lox stuff from Nova Scotia either...but real hot smoked jerky style..

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Ahem! Roast Beef and YORKSHIRE puddings. There simply is NOTHING better!

Christmas pudding and white sauce...yummi!

Raisen Scones.

Sheppards pie (what we call whohash at our house)

True enough. Everything else is banged, mashed and fried.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can think of many many flavorful dishes that are local. Smoked salmon comes readily to mind. VERY flavorful, but I doubt the Colonel bothered with it. Moose steak. Can't deny that's got loads of flavor. Perch fresh caught.... MMMmmmm.... very tasty. And I challenge ANYone to eat a slice of my tourtiere and tell me it's bland, boring, flavorless, or not Canadian.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Wallboard...all of the above... I rest my case

My roast beef would change your mind about that...as would my whohash. You'd be a believer then, I tells ya.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anybody ever go to a Ukranian wedding in Edmonton? As far as I'm concerned cabbage rolls are Canadian food. So are Perogies, and so are those little garlic meatballs. My mother was a great Canadian cook. How about ethnic food in the North end of Winnipeg? How about Chinatown in Vancouver? These places have been there for fifty or sixty years. How long does it take to be Canadian? Ordinary restaurant food menus are targeted at American tourist so don't worry about them. Who's Col. Sanders? Who cares?