Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Grill and serve. :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh that's tough juan. I'm bad enough when it comes to chicken, but with beef I really do wing it.

Steaks are rubbed in olive oil and montreal steak spice. Roasts are put in the slow cooker, frozen, in the morning, some onions, pepper, and garlic added, and left to roast on low for the day.

No real recipes to follow.

The only time I get picky with beef is when I make stew, but, again there's no real recipe to follow, so, I'll just explain my basics of making a good stew.

I take any cheap stewing meat, and trim it up into quarters from what the store cuts, since most stores here cut the cubes well over an inch square. I set that aside next to a bowl of flour to dredge it in later. Then, a splash of olive oil into the pan, along with all the savories that I plan to season with (onion, bay leaf, pepper, savory, thyme... whatever strikes my fancy). I fry those up, and dredge the beef in the flour while it sizzles. Add the beef and brown. Once browned, remove the meat and spice mixture to a bowl. Using broth or wine, depending on how I want my stew, I deglaze the pan. Add more broth, and put the meat and spices back in. From there I have my foundation, and proceed to build my stew. Potatoes, carrots, celery, turnips... whatever I have on hand, whatever strikes my fancy. The key is to use a proper pan (not nonstick) that allows you to really brown up the flour and beef. The amount of flavor that imparts into a stew is phenomenal.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Crock pot beef stew

Cut most of the fat off a two and a half pound chuck steak. Cut into 2 inch by 2 inch cubes. Dredge in flour and brown in hot oil and place in crock pot. Add 2 medium onions quartered, 3 large carrots cut into 2 inch pieces, 2 large bay leaves, 3 large cloves of garlic. Add a can of Cambell's beef broth and half a can of water. Cover and turn crock pot to low setting and come back in 8 or 9 hours. If required, the gravy can be thickened with a bit of flour and water. One way to serve it is over buttered egg noodles, along with a nice tossed salad

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Beef Short Ribs

Beef Short Ribs

Ingredients

At least four, large, meaty, beef short ribs

Sauce
a cup of catsup
a cup of water
three tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
three tablespoons Djon mustard
at least four or five good shakes Tobasco sauce
one large onion coarsely chopped

Combine all sauce ingredients and mix well. Place short ribs in a suitable Dutch oven with a lid. Ideally, the Dutch oven should be just large enough to hold all the ribs and the sauce should cover the ribs. Pour sauce over ribs, stir everything around to coat with sauce. Refrigerate overnight.

Give the ribs another stir and place Dutch oven in 350 degree oven for one hour. Turn oven down to 250 and cook for another three hours.

Carefully skim off fat and they are ready to serve.

I like to serve short ribs with hot, buttered, broad egg noodles and maybe some asparagus and baby carrots. This is one of my favourite beef recipes.

Enjoy...

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I guess we all have our own way of making stew. Personally - I think stew beef is too expensive and too fat. I buy cheap steak and cut it up myself (usually round steak). I brown the meat very well in olive oil and I salt & pepper the meat (has to be browned well or you don't get nice gravey). When it's well browned I add in a med. diced onion and brown that with the meat for a couple of minutes stiring so the onions don't burn. Then I add water - enough to be able to add in the veggies (carrots, potatoes, turnip) and I let that simmer for at least 3 hours. I like the meat to be very tender. When it is near serving time, I add my veggies - allowing just enough time for them to cook in the liquid that is already with the meat and I add more salt then (same amount I would add if I was just cooking a pot of potatoes). When the vegetables are done to my liking, I add a mixture of flour and water to change the water to gravy and that's it. We just like the natural flavour of the meat and vegetables together without other spices.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Later today I'm going to barbecue two rib steaks, cap removed, boneless.
Will mix olive oil, grape seed oil and 'bulls eye old west hickory' sauce together,
and 'generously' rub all over steaks just before putting them onto grill.
Cook to your taste and enjoy.
Optional: top with mushroom and/or onions.
Green salad with lots of misc. ingredients and 'good' bread or buns'.
Nice glass of red wine and good company, 'what's better', I say.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Later today I'm going to barbecue two rib steaks, cap removed, boneless.
Will mix olive oil, grape seed oil and 'bulls eye old west hickory' sauce together,
and 'generously' rub all over steaks just before putting them onto grill.
Cook to your taste and enjoy.
Optional: top with mushroom and/or onions.
Green salad with lots of misc. ingredients and 'good' bread or buns'.
Nice glass of red wine and good company, 'what's better', I say.

That sounds really good Talloola. A rib steak in my opinion, is the best steak on the steer/cow/whatever. I prefer a rib steak over a Porterhouse, or even a tenderloin.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I guess we all have our own way of making stew. Personally - I think stew beef is too expensive and too fat. I buy cheap steak and cut it up myself (usually round steak).

I generally use a blade or chuck steak for stew. Everyone makes stew differently, probably the way Mom made it....I know I do.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I use round because it comes without bone in and the fat is already trimmed. My Mom used stew beef but it used to be in-expensive to buy. We have two customers who buy large packages of stew beef just to feed their dogs! Some just buy large rolls of ground beef and feed that to their dogs. We just buy dog food (at the vets) :)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yes I stole this recipe and added a few ingredients. If you like this recipe please share it.

¼ tsp salt and pepper
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp garlic –fresh is better or minced
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup applesauce
½ cup brown sugar –or honey- better but more expensive
¼ cup ketchup
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 lbs pork ribs
You can also add a variety of other spices as it all depends on your taste. Some spices that you can add are, sesame seed oil, dry or wet mustard, ginger, if you like it hot sprinkle with some cayenne pepper when cooking.

The best BBQ spices I have found are under the brand name Cajun, carried by Safeway – Blackened Seasoning, Salt/ Pepper and 1 other - and are quite tasty.

1 – Mix all ingredients and cook on stove at low temperature and stir until well mixed.
2 – Boil ribs and let cool
3 – Marinate ribs in sauce overnight –in fridge
4 – In oven at 350 for 1 ½ hrs but is better on BBQ
Have extra sauce for BBQ or oven. Never reuse marinade.
This sauce is great for chicken.

A good site for BBQ tips etc
http://www.barbecuebible.com/newsletter/

As you relax and enjoy this meal consider that others are not as fortunate to eat this well. Do what you think is right

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That sounds really good Talloola. A rib steak in my opinion, is the best steak on the steer/cow/whatever. I prefer a rib steak over a Porterhouse, or even a tenderloin.

Me too Juan, I always look for them, and we have had that dinner now, are
filled up and very satisfied, it was delicious.
I also warmed up leftover rice, added a little chicken broth to it for warming,
made green salad, spinach and red lettuce,(snow peas, celery, italian parsley, and I sliced up a granny
smith apple, sliced it into a small bowl added some maple syrup and cooked it
for a few minutes in micro wave, and added it to salad, yummy.
A nice glass of red wine,proprietor's reserve, merlot, kelowna, b.c.

what a life, but it's so cold out today, feels like snow.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's 4 here right now Talloola. Warming up tomorrow (raining of course) and getting up to 9 for Wed. & Thurs. so things should improve and feel a tad warmer. Looks like the little groundhog is going to be our best bud tomorrow :)
The rain makes it feel colder then it really is.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Juan,

Ketchup?

Yeah, I'll take a little but Jamaican Pickapeppa:

Or Iron Chef Sesame Garlic sauce:

... in combo with ketchup and other flavorings would add real kick to your beef dish.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Chances are those are products you can buy but we can't. I have never noticed either of them but putting items through a till becomes pretty routine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan,

Ketchup?

Yeah, I'll take a little but Jamaican Pickapeppa:

Or Iron Chef Sesame Garlic sauce:

... in combo with ketchup and other flavorings would add real kick to your beef dish.

Hi Gopher. I haven't seen those products yet but I will have a look. Specialty food stores here might sell them. I like Tobasco sauce and it generally provides all the heat I need except in chilli. For chilli I use good, fresh, chilli powder and red pepper flakes if more heat is required...:lol: