Chicken Recipes

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've managed to pull off a few real hits this year from the garden. Tossed salad with dill, chives, and thyme chopped fine and sprinkled over top have been one of the most common and we've hit the point where we're sick of them, even though they're delish. So, last night, I twisted my usual.

Karrie's salad stuffed chicken breasts

apprx 3 cups of finely chopped swiss chard
4 sprigs fernleaf dill, chopped fine
apprx 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped fine
garlic chives (I used 4 large), chopped fine.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 capful of vinegar
a sprinkle of coarse salt
a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper
4 chicken breasts, pounded flat

Mix stuffing ingredients all together and place apprx 1/4 of mixture in each breast (however much will fit). Roll breasts over and seal as best you can. Place on barbeque, and cook at apprx 400 degrees, or 'low', until cooked through. Watch in amazement as your kids rave and devour it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
40 Clove Chicken

Rinse and season a roasting chicken the way you like it (I like to rub it in a bit of butter, sprinkle with thyme, a pinch of rosemary, and a bit of pepper). Place in open roaster, and surround it with roughly 40 whole cloves of peeled garlic. Roast at 400 for the length of time needed for the size of bird.

When done, carve chicken as you like, and pour pan juices over it. Put roasted garlic aside to be used as a condiment as each person sees fit. Personally, I can eat tons of the stuff, mashed and smothered onto the chicken.

Any left over garlic can be saved for a short while for soups, stews, and casseroles as well.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
No... got a recipe for it Durka?

There are many different ways to do it depending on how spicy you want it etc, but here is one from the food network. I personally would substitute habanero peppers for the jalapeños.

Ingredients: Jamaican Jerk Chicken

• 1 whole chicken, halved
  • 1 lime, halved
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 5 tbsp Jerk Rub Seasoning, (recipe follows)
  • 10 leaves of pimento, optional
Jamaican Jerk Rum Rub

• 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 tsp white pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion, top
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 5 small jalapeno
  • 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 splash flavourful rum
Directions:
Jamaican Jerk Chicken

1. Rub the chicken with lime and salt. Rub jerk seasoning over chicken halves. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight for the best results.
  2. Preheat a barbecue grill to medium high.
  3. If using, spread the pimento leaves on the grill. Barbecue should be on medium-low heat. Grill the chicken for about 45 minutes, turning often to optimize cooking and browning.
  4. Alternatively, you may use your home oven, heated to 375 degrees F., but do not use pimento leaves.
  5. Let chicken sit for 10 minutes before cutting into quarters.
Jamaican Jerk Rum Rub

1. Put all ingredients into food processor. Mix on high for 15 pulses.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Simple Roast Chicken - what could be easier...

Rinse the whole chicken(2 and a half pound fryer) under cold water and dry with paper towels. Cut off the tail, or pope's nose and the slabs of fat the butcher leaves just inside the back of the chicken. With a sharp knife, cut the chicken in half by slicing down through the breast and then down through the back so you have two halves, each with half a breast and a leg and a wing. The two halves can be salted and peppered and placed in a lightly oiled shallow pan, skin side up, and roast in a 350 F oven for fifty minutes to an hour. After roasting, the chicken pulls apart easily. This chicken can be served with rice, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, etc., and whateve veggies your heart desires. Gravy can be made by melting 2 tablespoonsof butter in a pan and adding an equal measure of flour. Mix the flour and butter well with a wooden spoon and add chicken stock or chicken broth. If I don't always have chicken stock around, I use Cambell's chicken broth out of the can. stir over medium heat until thickened. If it is too thick, add a bit of water. To finish off the gravy, add a touch of sage.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Roast Chickens are one of my favourite dishes, I like to insert little slivers of garlic into the skin to get it some extra kick.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Roast Chickens are one of my favourite dishes, I like to insert little slivers of garlic into the skin to get it some extra kick.

That is the good thing about roast chicken. You can adapt it to any taste and it can be made in an hour. The above recipe is pretty inoffensive.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One of my kids' faves is when I take bone in, skin on chicken breast, lift the skin, and rub in Patak's Biryani paste, putting the skin back down to baste the flavor of the paste into the meat. Bake at 350 until the skin is crispy and brown (40 minutes or so? I never pay attention to time... more to smell and appearance). I then peel the skin off and, for them, scrape what's left of the paste off, leaving it nicely flavored. For me, I leave some of the paste on. We serve with rice and salad. Delish.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
good thing it's only an hour until lunchtime here, I think I'm going to have to hunt down some chicken ;)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a garlic chicken recipe that is almost too garlicy.

Clean and split a three pound fryer.

Using a garlic press, crush a dozen peeled cloves of garlic into a small bowl. Add salt and pepper and two tablespoons of olive oil and mix into kind of a paste. Spread a bit of the garlic & oil on the skin side of the two chicken halves. Brown chicken under broiler, Spread most of the rest of the garlic paste over the underside of the chicken halves plus a bit more on the skin. Place skin side up in your pan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for an hour.. If you are a garlic lover you will love this chicken. Your significant other will also have to love garlic.....
Maybe the neighbors as well...:roll::smile:

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have a great chicken pot pie recipe (from Fine Cooking about 5 or 6 years ago), but it takes pretty much all day - you start by roasting the chicken....I usually make a bunch of pies and then freeze them...I'll have to find it at home.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a great chicken pot pie recipe (from Fine Cooking about 5 or 6 years ago), but it takes pretty much all day - you start by roasting the chicken....I usually make a bunch of pies and then freeze them...I'll have to find it at home.

If you eat an entire roast chicken when you have a roast chicken meal, try making two instead. Cooking potatoes and chicken just to then add it into pot pie would indeed be very time consuming for a one day event. Chicken pot pie is generally a way to use up leftover roast chicken dinner. It's an ideal meal transformation. On that idea, juan, you should start a thread for 'leftover' recipes too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If you eat an entire roast chicken when you have a roast chicken meal, try making two instead. Cooking potatoes and chicken just to then add it into pot pie would indeed be very time consuming for a one day event. Chicken pot pie is generally a way to use up leftover roast chicken dinner. It's an ideal meal transformation. On that idea, juan, you should start a thread for 'leftover' recipes too.

Good idea Karrie. On the subject of Chicken Pot Pie, I've always thought the old traditional recipes were a waste of time. One recipe I have calls for a six or seven pound boiler. In my experience boiling chicken are old roadrunners that wouldn't be tender if you boiled them for a week. What I have done is use two large fryers. Trim off the obvious fatty bits and barely cover with water in a pot that is just big enough to nestle the two chickens side by side. Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer the chicken for about three hours. Very carefully lift chickens out of broth with large slotted spoons. Let chicken cool and remove all bones, skin, and gristle from meat. Meanwhile boil the chicken broth long enough to reduce by at least half. Skim off fat. The broth should be quite tasty. If there is a lot of skin and bits and pieces in the broth you should strain it before you add chopped carrots, celery, onions. There are other veggies you can use but the carrot, onion, and celery trinity is the most common. For a bit more colour, a couple handfulls of frozen peas work nicely. Simmer for one hour. Thicken with a little flour and water. Add the boned chicken and again bring it to a simmer. Time to add dollops of your favourite dumpling recipe. Cover and simmer dumplings until nicely done. Serve......

BTW, this will serve 6 or 8 people.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've tried the above recipe with a pastry crust but I prefer the dumplings....Comfort food :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is my flocks last night, in the morning we will all get in the Millinium Falcon (my halfton) and go for a leetle drive, Tim will ride up front with me. It's very sad to betray my summer friends but I have to do it to the potatoes too and the pigs, someday soon I know we'll all be together again.:smile:

Hyack

rampant member
Sep 6, 2008
Sapperton BC
CHICKEN WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE (CHICKEN MOLE)

4 tb Olive oil
2 Cloves garlic, minced
Serving-pieces of chicken
-for 6 persons
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green pepper, chopped
3 Slices canned pimento,
-chopped
2 Large tomatoes, peeled,
-seeded, and chopped
2 tb Chili powder (or to taste)
2 1/2 c Chicken broth
1/4 c Slivered almonds
1/4 c Raisins
1/2 ts Cumin
1/4 ts Nutmeg
1/4 ts Ground cloves
1/4 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1 ts Sugar
Grated rind of 1 orange
2 Squares bitter chocolate,
-chopped
1/4 c Light rum

In casserole, heat oil and cook garlic for a few moments to flavour oil;
add chicken and brown. Remove chicken. In remaining fat, cook onion, green
pepper, pimento, and tomato over gentle heat for 10 minutes. To onion
mixture, add chili powder, blending well. Add broth, almonds, raisins,
seasonings, and rind; simmer, covered, 30 minutes longer. Add chocolate,
stirring until melted. Replace chicken, spooning sauce over. Bake,
covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender. Warm rum,
ignite it, and pour over contents of casserole; allow to stand for a few
minutes.

That's right chicken with a chocolate sauce.....it may sound strange, but give it a try covered with sour creme with refried beans and Spanish rice on the side.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This is my flocks last night, in the morning we will all get in the Millenium Falcon (my halfton) and go for a leetle drive, Tim will ride up front with me. It's very sad to betray my summer friends but I have to do it to the potatoes too and the pigs, someday soon I know we'll all be together again.:smile:

I'm welling up with grief here for your fated flock. I see that Tim is your favorite. I hope he digs down deep and takes it like a chicken.

Last edited by a moderator: