Name your favourite restaurant

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Which is your favourite restaurant? The best food, the best service, etc.??

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The restaurant I would take special friends to in Vancouver would be the William Tell. It is very expensive but the food and the service is excellent.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Chiani's Cafe is one of my fave Italian restaurants in Edmonton - delicious food, good service, and reasonably priced.

Another favourite of mine is Doan's for Vietnamese food. I haven't tried a lot of Vietnamese restaurants tho, so there may be better ones in Edmonton...Took the kidlets there a couple days ago, food was still good - huge portions. Service can be sketchy at times - depending how busy it is.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good morning Zan & thanks

It's good see the menu and prices of a restaurant before going there.. It gives you an idea what the evening is going to cost. I think also that it helps to know the range and variety of what is available. Price is not always the object and if the food and service is good it can be well worth it. I've turned into a bit of a snob in that I do so much cooking that I tend to pick apart restaurant offerings. Upsets my wife no end. Here is the William Tell info:

http://www.thewilliamtellrestaurant.com/index.html

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not exactly the best food but it is quality. I like the new Driftwood Restaurant in south Campbell River. It's a chinese smorg. You can literally pile your plate high with just seafood. I think they have three or four different shrimp dishes alone. They have mussels in the shells and coated with some fancy sauce. Chop Suey that is loaded with almonds. There are literally three bays of food to choose from. Four counting the dessert bar. At it's reasonably priced. Very busy place so reservations are required at any peak time of any day.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not exactly the best food but it is quality. I like the new Driftwood Restaurant in south Campbell River. It's a chinese smorg. You can literally pile your plate high with just seafood. I think they have three or four different shrimp dishes alone. They have mussels in the shells and coated with some fancy sauce. Chop Suey that is loaded with almonds. There are literally three bays of food to choose from. Four counting the dessert bar. At it's reasonably priced. Very busy place so reservations are required at any peak time of any day.

Is it a single price for the smorg or do you pay for what you get? If the place is that busy, people must like it

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Is it a single price for the smorg or do you pay for what you get? If the place is that busy, people must like it
It's a single smorg price. Something like $15.95 but you could try eating a bit of everything and not get through all of it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's a single smorg price. Something like $15.95 but you could try eating a bit of everything and not get through all of it.

That's not bad. We are still hoping to get to Cambell River this Summer. Maybe we can try it. For the last three years we are the only family members left on the west coast so we get visited a lot.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
In Chatham there is a wonderful restaurant called The Cajun Pepper. The food is excellent, the servers are friendly and prompt, and it has a nice atmosphere. The prices are fair, and the food is filling.

If anyone ever visits Chatham I highly recommend they try it.:cool:

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
the "Macaroni Grill" absolutely love it. traditional and delicious Italian food great service, good prices, and we can draw with crayons on the paper table cover while we wait!

its either that or the "Gyu Kaku" Japanese restaurant where there is a fire pit in the middle of ever table and you cook the food u order urself. very fun, very good, good prices, and the servers and cooks always have high spirits

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
the "Macaroni Grill" absolutely love it. traditional and delicious Italian food great service, good prices, and we can draw with crayons on the paper table cover while we wait!

its either that or the "Gyu Kaku" Japanese restaurant where there is a fire pit in the middle of ever table and you cook the food u order urself. very fun, very good, good prices, and the servers and cooks always have high spirits

That sounds like a riot. I like restaurants who try something very different. Your example reminds me of the old Medieval Inn (or named something like that) in Vancouver where people were encouraged to eat as if they were in the Roman Empire. OK to throw the food, eat with hands only etc. Generally, throw all dinner table etiquette out the window and eat like pigs.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I love the Macaroni Grill, have been there 5 or 6 times now, each time we go to
Victoria. I am married to an Italian (canadian born), and have had many authemtic
italian meals over the years, and the macaroni grill comes closer to that, than any
I have been to before.
And, there is a wonderful 'vegetarian' restaurant in Market Square in Victoria, ate there once,
buffet style, lots of choices, delicious and great dessets as well.

It depends what you are eating that constitutes a favourite restaurant. For fish and chips go to the
shady rest in qualicum, if you want great sea food, go to the King Fisher south of Courtenay, if you want
a good steak, eat it at my house, fresh off the barbecue, if you want healthy and tasty and original go to
the Atlas in Courtenay, if you want a great breakfast go Gary's in qualicum and Crown Isle Golf Course in Courtenay,
quality foods makes the best 'made
while you wait' sandwitches, big and full of 'whatever you want', if you want a large natchos and a beer go to the
Edge, by the marina in Comox, best we've ever had, the best hamburgers is McSwiggins in courtenay.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I guess I've led a protected life. I had never heard of "The Macaroni Grille" I googled it and there are quite a few of them, They souund good..........One more place to try....:smile:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
The absolutely best place on the entire planet for good fish n'chips is Barb's on Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria.

A bit pricey considering the informal atmosphere - but that's part of the charm for us landlocked lubbers. :p They have harbour seals that seem to live there off the scraps from the fresh fish shops - very tame and entertaining. Kids just love watching them pop their heads up along the dock looking for treats.

It has changed hands and been modernized in the last couple years, but we were there this summer and they don't seem to have compromised on any of the quality or portion sizes or original recipes. It used to be a bit of a local secret I think - a small little shack that was always busy - the food would come in the traditional newspaper wrappings and you'd usually have to find piece of dock somewhere to sit on and eat as they only had a couple picnic tables back then. We were there this summer and even with all the extra tables, the line ups were crazy to get a meal and a table there - it's not a secret anymore I guess.

They're only open during the tourist season tho (at least they used to be).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm. Well, Dadeo's is a great little diner on Whyte ave, if you like Cajun. Informal atmosphere, great service, delish food.

The Blue Chair Cafe is a neat little restaurant as well. Their menu is always changing, always something adventurous on it.

I'll echo Zan's endorsement of Doan's. They are a good Vietnamese restaurant.

For pizza, Tony's.

That's the beginning. lol. One thing to note though is that this is Edmonton... truly good service is almost always hard to come by. In the midst of a drastic shortage of workers, serving staff are hard to come by, and even harder to let go. But, these restaurants do a reasonable job considering.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've seen Barb's place Zan but I've never eaten there. Fish and chips is obviously one of my favourite meals. Comes from having had real English fish and chips in London. You haven't lived until you've had good fish and chips served in a newspaper.....Once in a while you would get something from the newspaper printed backwards on one of your pieces of fish...;-):smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
PS Zan

There used to be a place sort of like Barb's in Nanaimo.....Right down in the marina, but it changed hands and now the fish is mostly batter.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
The Blue Chair Cafe is a neat little restaurant as well. Their menu is always changing, always something adventurous on it.

I've only been to the Blue Chair once, but the food was amazing. Fairly small menu - we were in a group so between us I think we'd ordered most of what was on the menu and everyone raved about their meal. Great ambiance too.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I've seen Barb's place Zan but I've never eaten there. Fish and chips is obviously one of my favourite meals. Comes from having had real English fish and chips in London. You haven't lived until you've had good fish and chips served in a newspaper.....Once in a while you would get something from the newspaper printed backwards on one of your pieces of fish...;-):smile:

Juan! You are less than 2 hours drive away from the best fish and chips ever! If you leave now, you could beat the supper rush! :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan! You are less than 2 hours drive away from the best fish and chips ever! If you leave now, you could beat the supper rush! :lol:

I will definitely try that place Zan. We are due....or overdue for a trip to Victoria. I miss just walking around the place.......Pub lunches.........A few dinners out that I didn't cook. We'll try it.......Soon...:smile: