German Fried Potatoes, recipe

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I fell in love with these potatoes when I was in Germany in the late fifties and early sixties. While I was over there I somehow missed getting a recipe for them. Anyone who has ordered a schnitzel mit Bratkartoffeln und salad knows what I'm talking about. I stumbled on this recipe a few weeks ago and this comes very close to those wonderful potatoes I remember in Germany. Here is the recipe:

Peel a half dozen white potatoes and cut into one eighth to one quarter inch slices. Rince slices with cold water and dry. In large skillet, add one quarter inch of olive oil. Heat to medium high temperature. Lightly brown potato slices on both sides. Remove potatoes from pan and drain on paper towels. Pour off most of oil in skillet. Add four rashers of bacon cut into one inch slices. Saute' bacon until just starting to be crisp. Add one medium onion finely sliced. Stir onion and bacon for a minute or two..............Add potato slices to onions and bacon. Stir well, but gently. Add two tablespoons of water and one teaspoons of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and one half teaspoon of sugar. Stirr gently and
turn off heat, cover and let stand for ten minutes
Enjoy..

Last edited:
Reactions: gopher

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a recipe for Schweineschnitzel to go withe those German fried potatoes

Yield: 4 servings 4 (6 ounce) pork cutlets
Salt and ground pepper to taste
Flour for dredging
1 Egg
1/2 cup. Water 1 cup Fresh bread crumbs
4 Tbsp. Butter or margarine
1 Tbsp. Capers
Lemon wedges

Using a meat hammer, pound the cutlets to about 3/8 inch thickness.(I suggest covering the meat with Saran wrap before pounding unless you want meat on the kitchen walls) Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge them lightly but thoroughly in flour. Beat the egg lightly with the water and dip the floured cutlets in the egg mixture and coat with crumbs. . Transfer them to a wire rack. Refrigerate for one or two hours. This will help the breading to adhere to the cutlets when they are being cooked.
Heat the butter in a large skillet and, when it is hot but not brown or smoking, sauté the cutlets in it until they are golden brown on both sides.
Arrange the cutlets on a heated serving platter and garnish with the capers and lemon wedges. Serve immediately. Serves four.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I had the potatos last night and they came out excellent!

So did I.(for the third time in a little over a week :lol:) I think that recipe is a winner. Last night we had the Schnitzels as well.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
The recipe sounds soooo delicious! I will certainly try it the moment I am off my kefir diet. I hate kefir!!!! :smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A visual presentation:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
My German aunt (Dad's sis-in-law) made those tater thingies. I forgot all about them. I guess because I could never find any after I moved away and she died. But they certainly are a delectable dietary delight. I'll be testing my culinary abilities with this recipe. :) Danke schön, Juan. :)
Oh BTW, we eat der schweineschnitzel fairly regularly, too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My German aunt (Dad's sis-in-law) made those tater thingies. I forgot all about them. I guess because I could never find any after I moved away and she died. But they certainly are a delectable dietary delight. I'll be testing my culinary abilities with this recipe. :) Danke schön, Juan. :)
Oh BTW, we eat der schweineschnitzel fairly regularly, too.

Good luck L Gilbert. You shouldn't have a problem. During the three and a half years I was in Germany I put on about twenty pounds. I'm sure some of that was from fried potatoes. The good German beer likely helped as well.....:smile::smile: