Beer: Health food

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Civilization depended on the development of beer

By GEORGE WILL

Washington Post Writers Group

WASHINGTON | Perhaps like many sensible citizens, you read Investor’s Business Daily for its sturdy common sense in defending free markets and other rational arrangements.
If so, you too may have been startled recently by an astonishing statement on that newspaper’s front page.
It was in a report on the intention of the world’s second-largest brewer, Belgium’s InBev, to buy control of the third-largest, Anheuser-Busch, for $46.3 billion.
The story asserted: “The (alcoholic beverage) industry’s continued growth, however slight, has been a surprise to those who figured that when the economy turned south, consumers would cut back on nonessential items like beer. …”
“Non what”? Do not try to peddle that proposition in the bleachers or at the beaches in July. It is closer to the truth to say: No beer, no civilization.
The development of civilization depended on urbanization, which depended on beer. To understand why, consult Steven Johnson’s marvelous 2006 book The Ghost Map: The Story of London’s Most Terrifying Epidemic — and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World.”
It is a great scientific detective story about how a horrific cholera outbreak was traced to a particular neighborhood pump for drinking water. And Johnson begins a mind-opening excursion into a related topic this way:
“The search for unpolluted drinking water is as old as civilization itself. As soon as there were mass human settlements, waterborne diseases like dysentery became a crucial population bottleneck. For much of human history, the solution to this chronic public-health issue was not purifying the water supply. The solution was to drink alcohol.”
Often the most pure fluid available was alcohol — in beer and, later, wine — which has antibacterial properties. Sure, alcohol has its hazards, but as Johnson breezily observes, “Dying of cirrhosis of the liver in your forties was better than dying of dysentery in your twenties.”
The gene pools of human settlements became progressively dominated by the survivors — by those genetically disposed to, well, drink beer. “Most of the world’s population today,” Johnson writes, “is made up of descendants of those early beer drinkers, and we have largely inherited their genetic tolerance for alcohol.”
Johnson suggests, not unreasonably, that this explains why certain of the world’s population groups, such as Native Americans and Australian Aborigines, have had disproportionately high levels of alcoholism: These groups never endured the cruel culling of the genetically unfortunate that town dwellers endured.
If so, the high alcoholism rates among Native Americans are not, or at least not entirely, ascribable to the humiliations and deprivations of the reservation system. Rather, the explanation is that not enough of their ancestors lived in towns.
But that is a potential stew of racial or ethnic sensitivities that we need not stir in this correction of Investor’s Business Daily.
Suffice it to say that the good news is really good: Beer is a health food.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Unless it is all of your daily intake! on SpikeTV last night ,it was stated that ,living on a diet of beer only,you'd be dead in 7 to 8 weeks. The good thing about this is you'd be too drunk to know it:-?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Unless it is all of your daily intake! on SpikeTV last night ,it was stated that ,living on a diet of beer only,you'd be dead in 7 to 8 weeks. The good thing about this is you'd be too drunk to know it:-?

Not a seasoned drinker of the brew are you?

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
I'm not a fan of drinking ,it has too many social downfalls such as ,hooliganism binge drinking, drink driving and family abuse ties ,for my liking, like all things i suppose a little is beneficial ,and Ive heard beer is good for the hair , but me personally i drink very rarely, i would rather have a smoke ,but that's illegal here, so i have to be careful ,i don't smoke dope often, but enjoy it when i occasionally do do,the deaths related to drinking are a concern ,especially when were talking of young people and deaths caused by there behaviour ,when drunk ,in Briton we have had many many knife crimes lately caused by the young,and this and binge drinking are too factors i think,that exacerbate the issue of crime...:?:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I'm not a fan of drinking ,it has too many social downfalls such as ,hooliganism binge drinking, drink driving and family abuse ties ,for my liking, like all things i suppose a little is beneficial ,and Ive heard beer is good for the hair , but me personally i drink very rarely, i would rather have a smoke ,but that's illegal here, so i have to be careful ,i don't smoke dope often, but enjoy it when i occasionally do do,the deaths related to drinking are a concern ,especially when were talking of young people and deaths caused by there behaviour ,when drunk ,in Briton we have had many many knife crimes lately caused by the young,and this and binge drinking are too factors i think,that exacerbate the issue of crime...:?:

There is something called 'a responsible drinker', so give me a break.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
There is something called 'a responsible drinker', so give me a break.

look there have been more deaths from the use of alcohol related crime, because people are irresponsible when there drunk, don't try to tell me that just because you are careful that makes it safe, as statistics show that it is not,people drink to get drunk ,and binge drinking is rife ,so don't get all smart at me over my comment, just because you fail to see my point ,your just biased against me what ever opinion i put, so stop with the jibe OK ,your stupidity is clouding your judgment over facts pal .....:roll:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
look there have been more deaths from the use of alcohol related crime, because people are irresponsible when there drunk, don't try to tell me that just because you are careful that makes it safe, as statistics show that it is not,people drink to get drunk ,and binge drinking is rife ,so don't get all smart at me over my comment, just because you fail to see my point ,your just biased against me what ever opinion i put, so stop with the jibe OK ,your stupidity is clouding your judgment over facts pal .....:roll:
I think your toking and joint smoking have impared your judgement and thought process. And the majority of drinkers DO NOT drink to get drunk so smarten up. Well maybe Great Britain is full of drunks, so don't judge other countries by your own.

quandary121

Time Out
Apr 20, 2008
lincolnshire
uk.youtube.com
I think your toking and joint smoking have impared your judgement and thought process. And the majority of drinkers DO NOT drink to get drunk so smarten up. Well maybe Great Britain is full of drunks, so don't judge other countries by your own.

I think your toking and joint smoking
you obviously have no clue about this, so why keep mentioning it in derogatory terms, you are as misguided in you thoughts about marijuana ,as you think i am about drinkers ,being only intersted in being drunk...!!!!

And the majority of drinkers DO NOT drink to get drunk

who many units of alcohol are you said to be allowed to drink in the law in your country,and how many do you actually drink ,...??? i bet you drink more then the recommended daily dose, when you drink and dont give me the, "don't judge other countries by your own". As i bet your country's as bad as mine in drink driving deaths per year, so give it up with the holier then tho attitude.alcohol is bad for you it poisons the brain ,where as marijuana does have medical benifits
Marijuana is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known. No one has ever died from an overdose, and it has a wide variety of therapeutic applications:
  • Relief from nausea and increase of appetite;
  • Reduction of intarlobular ("within the eye") pressure;
  • Reduction of muscle spasms;
  • Relief from chronic pain.
Marijuana is frequently beneficial in the treatment of the following conditions:

WAMM caregiver volunteering
in the garden

Marijuana is frequently beneficial in the treatment of the following conditions:
  • AIDS. Marijuana can reduce the nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite caused by the ailment itself and by various AIDS medications.
  • Glaucoma. Marijuana can reduce interlobular pressure, thereby alleviating the pain and slowing -- and sometimes stopping -- the progress of the condition. (Glaucoma is the leading cause of blindness in the United States. It damages vision by increasing eye pressure over time.)
  • Cancer. Marijuana can stimulate the appetite and alleviate nausea and vomiting, which are common side effects of chemotherapy treatment.
  • Multiple Sclerosis. Marijuana can limit the muscle pain and spasticity caused by the disease, as well as relieving tremor and unsteadiness of gait. (Multiple sclerosis is the leading cause of neurological disability among young and middle-aged adults in the United States.)
  • Epilepsy. Marijuana can prevent epileptic seizures in some patients.
  • Chronic Pain. Marijuana can alleviate the chronic, often debilitating pain caused by myriad disorders and injuries.
Each of these applications has been deemed legitimate by at least one court, legislature, and/or government agency in the United States.
Many patients also report that marijuana is useful for treating arthritis, migraine, menstrual cramps, alcohol and opiate addiction, and depression and other debilitating mood disorders.
Marijuana could be helpful for millions of patients in the United States. Nevertheless, other than for the seven people with special permission from the federal government, medical marijuana remains illegal!
People currently suffering from any of the conditions mentioned above, for whom the legal medical options have proven unsafe or ineffective, have two options:
  1. Continue to suffer from the ailment itself; or
  2. Illegally obtain marijuana -- and risk suffering consequences such as:
    • an insufficient supply due to the prohibition-inflated price or scarcity;
    • impure, contaminated, or chemically adulterated marijuana;
    • arrests, fines, court costs, property forfeiture, incarceration, probation, and criminal records.
Background
Prior to 1937, at least 27 medicines containing marijuana were legally available in the United States. Many were made by well-known pharmaceutical firms that still exist today, such as Squibb (now Bristol-Myers Squibb) and Eli Lilly. The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 federally prohibited marijuana. Dr. William C. Woodward of the American Medical Association opposed the Act, testifying that prohibition would ultimately prevent the medicinal uses of marijuana.
The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 placed all illicit and prescription drugs into five "schedules" (categories). Marijuana was placed in Schedule I, defining it as having a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medicinal use in treatment in the United States, and a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision.
This definition simply does not apply to marijuana. Of course, at the time of the Controlled Substances Act, marijuana had been prohibited for more than three decades. Its medicinal uses forgotten, marijuana was considered a dangerous and addictive narcotic.
A substantial increase in the number of recreational users in the 1970s contributed to the rediscovery of marijuana's medicinal uses:
  1. Many scientists studied the health effects of marijuana and inadvertently discovered marijuana's astonishing medicinal history in the process.
  2. Many who used marijuana recreationally also suffered from diseases for which marijuana is beneficial. By fluke, they discovered its therapeutic usefulness.
As the word spread, more and more patients started self-medicating with marijuana. However, marijuana's Schedule I status bars doctors from prescribing it and severely curtails research.
This information is courtesy of 2003 The Medical Marijuana Briefing Paper

http://www.wamm.org/medicinalbenefits.htm

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"you read Investor’s Business Daily for its sturdy common sense in defending free markets and other rational arrangements."

What a bleeping horsesh*t statement. IBD writes right wing bullsh*t and is a big defender of Bush.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
i saw on tv today a very interesting documentary about beer and breweries.
beer was made back in ancient times, and for the Egyptians, it was so popular that they used it as payment.
beer also has in it honey, yeast, and barely. all stuff good for u in moderation of course. Too bad i'm in america, cuz its the only place where i am illegal to buy alcohol, otherwise i'd be enjoying a cold 1 rite now

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
i saw on tv today a very interesting documentary about beer and breweries.
beer was made back in ancient times, and for the Egyptians, it was so popular that they used it as payment.
beer also has in it honey, yeast, and barely. all stuff good for u in moderation of course. Too bad i'm in america, cuz its the only place where i am illegal to buy alcohol, otherwise i'd be enjoying a cold 1 rite now

Nineteen is not of legal age, too bad. I am sure though that you have quaffed a few. Now.....do not lie...I will know.