Sodium

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I buy this packaged parmesan risotto. Tasty and low in fat. 1/4 of box is a portion and contains 2% of fat for the day. Pretty good. I can even eat 1/2 the box and not cheat on my diet. I try to stay at 5% or lower per porton. Was really hungry the other night and ate whole box. So that put me to 8%, plus 8% from portion of salmon fillet. That's a whole meal and am only at 16% of total fat allowed for day. My fattiest meal of whole day. Tops I might hit 30% of suggested fat content for day in 3 meals plus snacks.

Now the kicker. 1/4 of box is 20% of salt for day. That is a large spoonful. I would bloody starve eating that little. Eating the whole box was 80% of salt intake for day. I can scratch make risotto with zero salt.

I started reading labels for low fat and am starting to clue in that process foods are just plain bad for you. Convenient as hell but death in a box.

Cars and processed food will be the death of us all. Unless the cigarettes get me/you/us first.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
DH has to watch the Salt too. Scarey as hell when you start checking labels. Canned soups are very high, processed meats or the sausage types (bratwurst, Italian) Barbeque sauses and seasonings-don't go there!
We have bought "No Salt" to try-tastes like salt-infact you use less as it seems more "salty" to the pallet. It is potassium which is hard to get otherwise-bananas are high but very little otherwise so may be a good thing to use.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's difficult to go wrong with fresh ingredients prepared by your own hand. I would point out that salt is a flavour enhancer and used correctly, will be a very small fraction of required daily intake. The use of other spices and herbs in combination with salt can make food very tasty without all the sodium and fat.

Of course I know the theory but have a difficult time putting it into practice. ;)

Portions portions portions.