Moose soup

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This recipe is the result of years of trying to cook something that tasted good.

1 large moosebone with marrow and a pound or so of flesh.
5 medium sized red potatoes (I don't think colour is important)
2 large onions (white)
1 clove of fresh garlic
2 handfulls of crushed spaggetti
dashes of salt/steak spice/and pepper
2 litres of water to begin

Boil the bone in the salted water for two to three hours or untill there's a good layer of fat on the water then remove the bone and strip the flesh and marrow from same adding all of it back to the pot, add everything else and simmer untill it thickens.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Here's one of my faves DB...

BEAVER STEW

2-3 lbs 1 inch cubes beaver
Bacon grease
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 medium onions
1/2 lb carrots
6 medium potatoes
2 stalks celery
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a closable bag or 2 quart closable plastic container and shake until mixed. Add beaver and shake until well coated.
Dice onions. Melt enough bacon grease in the bottom of a fry pan to saute onions and beaver. Saute onions and floured beaver in bacon grease, adding more grease as needed. Place sauted cubes and onions in a 4 quart pot with enough water to cover. Add water to fry pan to remove the remainder of the bacon grease and flour. Add this pan gravy to your stew. Slice carrots and dice celery. Add carrots and celery to your stew and simmer until beaver is somewhat tender (about 30 minutes). Taste broth and add salt or pepper to taste. Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes and add enough water to just cover the meat and vegetables. Simmer until potatoes are done (about 30 minutes).
---------

I love the sig DB, very cool.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
If you haven't cooked Beaver before, be sure to remove all the fat. As well you want to make sure that when the Beaver was skinned that the scent glands have been removed correctly.

The taste is much like Muskrat. heh heh heh.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This recipe is the result of years of trying to cook something that tasted good.

1 large moosebone with marrow and a pound or so of flesh.
5 medium sized red potatoes (I don't think colour is important)
2 large onions (white)
1 clove of fresh garlic
2 handfulls of crushed spaggetti
dashes of salt/steak spice/and pepper
2 litres of water to begin

Boil the bone in the salted water for two to three hours or untill there's a good layer of fat on the water then remove the bone and strip the flesh and marrow from same adding all of it back to the pot, add everything else and simmer untill it thickens.

One other thing I would do is brown the bone and meat well in the oven prior to boiling. This will enrich the flavour and add a bit of colour to the liquid......

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My uncles used to hunt beaver to sell the glands and the pelts. The meat was given away as bait for the chaps who bow hunted bear. No way could I eat it after catching the scent of even one castor gland that was carelessly harvested.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Beaver glands.... Hmm.... I know a black bear gall bladder will fetch a tidy sum on the Chinese market. Wonder how they'd take to knock-offs?...

Woof!

beaver glands are used in perfume. They fetch a tidy price, or at least they used to.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I can't believe no one made the obvious comment about eating beaver, yumm!

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Here's one of my faves DB...

BEAVER STEW

2-3 lbs 1 inch cubes beaver
Bacon grease
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 medium onions
1/2 lb carrots
6 medium potatoes
2 stalks celery
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a closable bag or 2 quart closable plastic container and shake until mixed. Add beaver and shake until well coated.
Dice onions. Melt enough bacon grease in the bottom of a fry pan to saute onions and beaver. Saute onions and floured beaver in bacon grease, adding more grease as needed. Place sauted cubes and onions in a 4 quart pot with enough water to cover. Add water to fry pan to remove the remainder of the bacon grease and flour. Add this pan gravy to your stew. Slice carrots and dice celery. Add carrots and celery to your stew and simmer until beaver is somewhat tender (about 30 minutes). Taste broth and add salt or pepper to taste. Cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes and add enough water to just cover the meat and vegetables. Simmer until potatoes are done (about 30 minutes).
---------

I love the sig DB, very cool.
would that be better with dark beaver meat?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My uncles used to hunt beaver to sell the glands and the pelts. The meat was given away as bait for the chaps who bow hunted bear. No way could I eat it after catching the scent of even one castor gland that was carelessly harvested.
Two beaver castors in a bottle of John de Kyper of Bols Gin wil cure any cold..Hee hee:lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If you haven't cooked Beaver before, be sure to remove all the fat. As well you want to make sure that when the Beaver was skinned that the scent glands have been removed correctly.

The taste is much like Muskrat. heh heh heh.

What happens if the scent glands have not been properly removed? Is the stench quite hideous?8O