How to Get the Best Value in Budget Wines

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Wine sales have grown rapidly in the last 20 years and vintages from many different countries are available in Canadian stores. Few of us are connoisseurs, so how do we decide which bottle to select from the crowded shelves?

[SIZE=-2]Did you know? To calculate how much wine to buy for a celebration, consider that a normal 750 ml bottle will give six glasses of still wine and eight to ten glasses of champagne or sparkling wine.
[/SIZE]

Knowledge is buying power

Don’t assume that a high price necessarily indicates high quality. Although this can be true, some wines command higher prices because of a small harvest, and as a result, fewer bottles produced. If you learn about wine, you’ll be in a better position to spot the best-value vintages.
Start a club

Start a wine-tasting club with your friends or colleagues. You can arrange regular tastings where everyone brings a bottle of a particular type of wine. If you’re already a member of a book club or investment club, why not combine these gatherings with wine tasting, and kill two birds with one stone?

Attend an event

There are many wine-tasting events held throughout the country, though regions that grow grapes seem to have the most. Watch out for charity events that combine wine-tasting with auctions or other fundraising activities.
Take a course

There are lots of courses available to learn about wine, both in your local community and online.

From: How to Pay Less for Just About Anything, Reader's Digest Canada

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Just stay away from Canadian swill...i hate the whole emperor's new clothes deal when it comes to Canadian wine...It's swill get over it...
Name me one that comes close to a nice pisse drue...or a bottle of masi...
chilean wines are grossly under priced...the austrailian wolf blass thing is great if you like the real oaky taste covering up your food.....

a nice bottle of french except that advertiseing nightmare piat d'or.....remember that whole without the edge.....they actually figured a way to bottle exactly just that "edge in a bottle"

wanna treat with yer next steak....there's this long french bottle called a brulle (SP) try it you'll like it...
Fat bastard is fun little wine as well...the red is drinkable with anything....

had the Le freak last weekend ...very nice with turkey...yeah red wine and turkey...went well with the shoe leather the daughter in law served up...

Inniskilin is killin me...that over priced swill is the biggest Canuk Con on the market.....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I'm not much of a wine drinker but I understand that Canadian wines are some of the best in the world. granted what's happened to the wine industry over the last decade has turned much of it into the McDonald's of vintage but both the The Okanagan and the Golden Horseshoe have turned out a few great wines.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Jost vineyards in Nova Scotia has won international awards for it's wine. It's very good, as good as anything coming out of Australia, California or South Africa.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Jost vineyards in Nova Scotia has won international awards for it's wine. It's very good, as good as anything coming out of Australia, California or South Africa.

I've never heard of that vineyard but I've inherited stock in a BC vineyard that has done very well since my Dad bought the stock back in the sixties or so.

For my part I like a semi dry white with the bird at Christmas and of course Thanksgiving because we all know that you better serve turkey on Thanksgiving if you know what's good for you. ;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm not much of a wine drinker but I understand that Canadian wines are some of the best in the world. granted what's happened to the wine industry over the last decade has turned much of it into the McDonald's of vintage but both the The Okanagan and the Golden Horseshoe have turned out a few great wines.

Canadian whites are spectacular IMHO.

Canadian reds tend to be flat and flavorless, and over oak to try to make up for it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Some of my fave reds are Chilean. Like Doc said, they're ridiculously underpriced for what you get. Cassilero del Diablo out of Chile is one of my fave vineyards.

Out of BC I really enjoy Mission Hill's whites, Jackson Triggs makes a respectable Cab Sauv, and Grey Monk makes a delicious Rotberger (sp?).

I tend to not buy a lot of French or Italian wines, so I'd have no idea there.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Some of my fave reds are Chilean. Like Doc said, they're ridiculously underpriced for what you get. Cassilero del Diablo out of Chile is one of my fave vineyards.

Out of BC I really enjoy Mission Hill's whites, Jackson Triggs makes a respectable Cab Sauv, and Grey Monk makes a delicious Rotberger (sp?).

I tend to not buy a lot of French or Italian wines, so I'd have no idea there.

Good choice karrie. :cool:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I drink mainly Canadian wines. One would be hard-pressed to find a better Chardonnay than what Sawmill Creek, or Jackson Triggs, produce for the price. Both of these companies make a very passable Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. There are many others. Calling Canadian wines swill is just pure ignorance. Doc should know better....or maybe he shouldn't.

Toro

Senate Member
Just stay away from Canadian swill...i hate the whole emperor's new clothes deal when it comes to Canadian wine...It's swill get over it...
Name me one that comes close to a nice pisse drue...or a bottle of masi...
chilean wines are grossly under priced...the austrailian wolf blass thing is great if you like the real oaky taste covering up your food.....

a nice bottle of french except that advertiseing nightmare piat d'or.....remember that whole without the edge.....they actually figured a way to bottle exactly just that "edge in a bottle"

wanna treat with yer next steak....there's this long french bottle called a brulle (SP) try it you'll like it...
Fat bastard is fun little wine as well...the red is drinkable with anything....

had the Le freak last weekend ...very nice with turkey...yeah red wine and turkey...went well with the shoe leather the daughter in law served up...

Inniskilin is killin me...that over priced swill is the biggest Canuk Con on the market.....

Yeah, Canadian wines aren't very good.

But soon, Canada will make some great wines because of the blessing that is Global Warming.

Toro

Senate Member
I'm not much of a wine drinker but I understand that Canadian wines are some of the best in the world.

You understand wrong. You'll get one or two vintages or vineyards that will put out a pretty good product, but otherwise, I find most Canadian wines pretty mediocre.

They're better than they were 15 years ago though.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, Canadian wines aren't very good.

But soon, Canada will make some great wines because of the blessing that is Global Warming.

More ignorance!

Canadian wines have won many international awards. Canadian white wines compare well with anything out there. In spite of our weather, Canada produces respectable red wines that are very drinkable.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You understand wrong. You'll get one or two vintages or vineyards that will put out a pretty good product, but otherwise, I find most Canadian wines pretty mediocre.

They're better than they were 15 years ago though.

Perhaps not to your peculiar tastes but by those in the know, we have some great wines and great potential to create some world class wine as the industry here matures.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My current favourite wines are from Chile.
Santa Rita from their Reserva series: Sauvignon Blanc very smooth, very fruity with no after taste. And their red is a Cabernet Sauvignon.... lovely, velvety with a nice colour.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Anybody get drunk on Baby Duck when they were young? Speaking of rot gut. I still can not drink a sparkling wine. Even Dom Perignon would make me hurl.