Toast Canada with it's own cocktail

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maple Leaf

I came up with this a few years back. I'm sure it had been done before in some form.

Two ice cubes in an Old Fashioned glass.
Add: half an ounce of maple syrup
Top with 2 ounces of good Canadian rye whiskey
Stir gently so as not to bruise the whiskey......:smile:

Cheers

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think I have to refine this a bit:

The Maple Leaf

Two ice cubes in an Old Fashioned glass.
Add: half an ounce of maple syrup
Top with 2 ounces of Crown Royal Special Reserve, or Alberta Springs Black Label
Stir gently so as not to bruise the whiskey......;-):lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here's a family favorite, but I'll warn you a head of time that it'll sneak up on you.

We call it "Can's".

You'll need
: a metal coffee Can, with a lid.
: a tea towel
: clear booze (vodka, or white rum, or whatever)
: a can of frozen juice (you'll need a bunch eventually)
: icing sugar
: fresh mint leaves
: bags of ice cubes

Take a few of the mint leaves and twist 'em up to release the oil, and then rub them
all over inside the coffee Can (removes the aluminum and coffee taste), then just
throw the leaves in the bottom of the can and dump in a whole can of frozen fruit juice
(or pink ice tea, or whatever...), add an equal amount of booze (using the empty juice
can), fill the coffee Can with ice, and a heaping table spoon of icing sugar.

Now here comes the rules. I didn't make them up, but simply follow them. Put the lid
on the coffee can and wrap the tea towel around the can. Holding the ends of the can
wrapped in the towel, shake the can until frost forms on the can and the tea towel
sticks to it. Guys have to shake the can in from of them and women have to shake the
can above their heads. Open the lid and drink, and pass the "Can." The Can cannot be
set down by anyone and has to be passed to someone who drinks and passes the Can.
Whomever finishes the Can, makes the next one...and whomever finishes that one
makes the next one...and so on and so forth. The Can will frost up when shaken within
a minute or so whether it's -15c or +40c. Trust me, it happens. At big gatherings, there
might be two or three Cans floating around at the same time.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You skatcheners are WEIRD.

Redneck roots....you can't say you don't have them. This is actually a surprisingly pleasant
and refreshing drink, just don't get greedy and start cutting into the passing too often or you'll
wake up under a bush or someplace even weirder. We do this on the Farm. Nobody leaves.
Nobody drives. Gatherings with "Can's" are usually 15 -100 people. It adds to an already great
time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
lol.... had to get specific huh? I think that one looks worth trying.

What is wrong with them is that they go down way too easy. With a good whiskey, the sweet maple syrup sort of masks the taste and before you know it, you've had four of them. If the bartender is the least bit generous, you've knocked off the best part of a mickey of rye and you are slurring you r words and if you keep it up you'll be having a short evening.
I try to stick to beer these days.....:smile:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It sounds like a great drinking experiance and I like the green element of the recycled can, wholesome almost.

Almost.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Redneck roots....you can't say you don't have them. This is actually a surprisingly pleasant
and refreshing drink, just don't get greedy and start cutting into the passing too often or you'll
wake up under a bush or someplace even weirder. We do this on the Farm. Nobody leaves.
Nobody drives. Gatherings with "Can's" are usually 15 -100 people. It adds to an already great
time.

lol. it sounds downright hilarious Ron. And you're right, I do have redneck roots. So redneck, there's no way you'd catch our lot sharing their alcohol, let alone mixing it with anything 'fruity'. lol.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
"Can's" is a blast. The wrist bands are a way to tell who's chipped in a 10 spot and that
way we know who's in for breakfast in the morning. First ones up turns on the coffee urns.
People invite friends, gatherings can turn into big gatherings. This way we know who
belongs and who's crashed in. Crashers get vouched (& chip in) or bounced, and we just
carry on. Nobody leaves. Nobody drives. Everyone has to at least try a night of Can's
once in your life just so you can say, "Been there, done that."

I don't care who you are. There's a little Redneck inside all of us. Can's just brings it out.