Restaurant Rant

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My wife and I had a $100 gift certificate to the April Point Resort Restaurant. It's owned by the same group that own Painters Lodge in Campbell River. The restaurant is on Quadra Island. To get to it we took a water taxi from Painters Lodge. This is not a cheap place. It's a good thing we had a gift certificate. The certificate covers appetizers and a few drinks.

I don't normally drink but this is the kind of occasion where I'll have a few. We had a drink at Painters then an other at the April Point lounge before being seated in the restaurant. A boy came up and asked if we'd like to order something. "Order for drinks or food" I asked. He confirmed drinks. I asked him if he had a martini list besides the 'premium' list that was dropped off. He looked around then asked what I wanted. I asked if they have regular martinis. He replied "I don't know I'm only 15 you know..how old did you think I was?" He then fetched a real drink order person and I ordered one.

As we looked through the menu we noticed there was no mention of sushi (they had a sushi bar).

Next, someone arrived to take our food order. We asked why the menu didn't mention sushi. "Oh, you want a sushi menu?" I bit my lip, although I nearly said 'no we'd prefer to simply guess what might be available'.

A while later we placed our orders. I was having sushi appetizers and steak for the main course. I waited a bloody half hour for my two pieces of sushi while my wife ate and completed her prawn cocktail. I'm sitting there with empty drink, no food..and all I can hear is the pompous loudmouthed life insurance salesman and his buddies behind me. The guy not only thought he was Donald Trump he wanted everyone in the restaurant to know he thought he was.

I finally got some miniscule sushi and then my dinner (btw, they had run out of Salmon so I said to bring me what the chef liked, make it a surprise...when it was dropped off she didn't stick around long enough to explain what it was). Meanwhile the idiot behind me can't stfu. I was starting to get pissed. So I started talking to my wife about him at a fairly boisterous volume. "Doesn't that guy ever shut his effin mouth...can you imagine living with that friggin doorknob..etc". My wife was going ssh ssh. I didn't care, I was ready to punch him in the mouth. It didn't matter anyway, the guy never stopped talking long enough to make his ears work.

When it was time to leave my wife said "I'll pay for it, you go outside and look around". In other words, she knew I was going to reply to "how were things tonight?" at the checkout with "it sucked, and the moron behind me didn't help".

Anyway, April Point Restaurant - good food, overpriced, service is questionable, and appears to be full of obnoxious idiots.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
- good food, overpriced, service is questionable, and appears to be full of obnoxious idiots.

There are several places like that around.......I think it's a franchise......;-):p

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
You made a basic mistake my friend.

You actually believed that this "high-end" restaruaunt was about service and good food?

Think again....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Restaurants are only as good as the last time you were there: The Dingy Dock Pub is a winner every time we've been there: Best seafood, and fish and chips around..

DINGHY DOCK PUB
Canada’s only floating pub. Located on Protection Island at 8 Pirate’s Lane. Ferry leaves at 10 minutes past every hour from southeast end of dock in Commercial Boat Basin at end of Seawall Walk. Last ferry leaves pub at 12:00 midnight in the summer and at 11 pm in the winter. A must do in Nanaimo! Now open all year. Guests of The Buccaneer Inn get a special gift for the Pub, ask when you check-in. Call 753-2373 for the pub and 753-8244 for the Protection Island Ferry.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
Oak Bay Marine Group...

I live in Campbell River, & while I was golfing, I ran into a couple of guys who were staying at Painter's Lodge with their wives and kids...they had nothing nice to say about it...they said they screwed up on their order that took forever, then it was all cooked to rat poop. I used to work at the OLD Painter's and, I certainly do not remember getting any complaints like the OP....I was hired by the NEW Painter's and, I put in their gift shop, and helped organize their "Grand Opening" Bash...but, I could no longer work with the worst management in history, so I went and helped ole' Skip open the NEW Beehive...I had trying April Point on my list...perhaps now, I'll just cross it off...my favorite place...KOTO's! Has been since the early 80's!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Restaurant Rant #2

Canada Day is not a good day to go to a restaurant.

We went to the White Spot with friends. The issues in chronological order:

* Washrooms filthy
* Had to ask for table to be cleaned
* Drink orders mixed up
* Forgot to cook one of the meals
* Two orders missing some items (they were out)
* An order of shrimp had gone bad
* Forgot to bring drink refills
* Waitress disappeared

We went to watch the fireworks then stopped at a Tim Hortons on the way home. Since they were so short staffed they decided to lock the doors. An impromptu closing. We were inside so needed someone to let us out. The person who locked the doors accidentally locked her keys in a back office. Now everyone was trying to figure out how to leave. We were making plans to head out the drive thru window when someone managed to get into the office and retrieve the front door keys.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

8O LOL How on earth do you manage that? Shouldn't the blood pouring out of the meat be a clue??

We did an Outback date night last night. We don't go there often (the price is usually around $60 and their kids menu sucks). We had a great meal. We should have requested the no kids section though. There was a group of 2 grandparents, 3 adult males and 1 adult female along with 4 kids (3 girls, 1 boy). Not particularly well behaved but not really bad either (sort of in the same ballpark as our 6 year old). We had fun trying to figure out who was with whom, how they were related and who owned the kids. We couldn't flag down Jerry Springer to unraval the mystery for us.

The restaurant was very quiet. I only figure most places figure Canada Day is a no eat out day and staff accordingly. Some restaurants manage it better than others obviously.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It wasn't brought uncooked, she forgot to place the order with the kitchen. When she arrived with the meals she realized one was missing.

It looks to me that BC is starting to experience some of the Alberta labour issues in the restaurant business. If a person is not in a coma they should have no problem getting a job at a food joint.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I have never been to an Outback. I don't think I've even seen one. Are they regional?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Restaurant Rant #2

Canada Day is not a good day to go to a restaurant.

We went to the White Spot with friends. The issues in chronological order:

* Washrooms filthy
* Had to ask for table to be cleaned
* Drink orders mixed up
* Two orders missing some items (they were out)
* An order of shrimp had gone bad
* Forgot to bring drink refills
* Waitress disappeared

We went to watch the fireworks then stopped at a Tim Hortons on the way home. Since they were so short staffed they decided to lock the doors. An impromptu closing. We were inside so needed someone to let us out. The person who locked the doors accidentally locked her keys in a back office. Now everyone was trying to figure out how to leave. We were making plans to head out the drive thru window when someone managed to get into the office and retrieve the front door keys.

They gave out bad shrimp? I have not heard anything good about this White Spot restaurant(not sure if it is the same one mentioned in the other thread), but it certainly does not make me want to ever try something there.8O

However, if anyone ever visits Chatham, Ontario they should check out a restaurant called 'Cajun Pepper'. The food is excellent, fair-priced, and the service is polite and effecient. I would highly recommend it.:cool:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have never been to an Outback. I don't think I've even seen one. Are they regional?

They are quite prevalent in the states. They have moved into Alberta and Ontario in Canada. They are franchised to the mega corp which runs Swiss Chalet and Harveys, etc.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The waitress disappeared? Has anyone notified "Without a Trace?"

Maybe she saw how they made the "white spots" on the hamburgers and ran out the back door?