Man Blames Burrito For Paralysis

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec

TAMPA, Fla. -- A man who can no longer feed himself said an uncooked chicken burrito put him in a wheelchair.
Roger Anderson said he ate the burrito at a Moe's Southwest Grill in Land O' Lakes in September and became sick with stomach cramps, diarrhea and joint pains. Anderson's attorney said the burrito caused a bacterial infection, which led to a disease that affects the body's nerves. Anderson and his wife filed a lawsuit against Tampa-based GCF Ventures LLC, which operates the restaurant. The company said all of its employees are trained in safe food handling and preparation practices, and the restaurant is regularly checked by health inspectors.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
TAMPA, Fla. -- A man who can no longer feed himself said an uncooked chicken burrito put him in a wheelchair.
Roger Anderson said he ate the burrito at a Moe's Southwest Grill in Land O' Lakes in September and became sick with stomach cramps, diarrhea and joint pains. Anderson's attorney said the burrito caused a bacterial infection, which led to a disease that affects the body's nerves. Anderson and his wife filed a lawsuit against Tampa-based GCF Ventures LLC, which operates the restaurant. The company said all of its employees are trained in safe food handling and preparation practices, and the restaurant is regularly checked by health inspectors.

Dang! I was just about to drive into town for a KFC... scrap that! lol

Seriously though; Chicken, in general, is safe to eat, so long as it is thoroughly cooked; But so often one finds that takeaways can be a hit and miss affair when it comes to hygiene, preparation etc... No matter how much one complains about ill prepared food, these companies always trot out the same old spiel regarding the training that their staff are put through. That may well be the case, but invariably, these stories abound, and everone at some time has bought a takeaway that has been illcooked! I have to drive 12 miles for a drive thru takeaway; fortunately, out of a choice of two, both takeaways have fairly good reputations... so far!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's all about cooking time. I once was told at a KFC/Taco Bell that it would be a 10 minute wait while the meat finished cooking for my taco combo. My friend ordered first, he got the last of the cooked meat, so I waited what seemed like 10 minutes. They gave me my meal, I ate it. Went for my obligatory washroom trip after any meal in a restaurant. By the time I sat in the car to go home, I knew something was up, I was feeling flushed. I told my buddy to get me home quick, about a two minute drive to my house. I jumped out of the car, puked all over my lawn, thought I was finished went inside and rushed to the washroom again. It was a good solid weak before my bowel moverments returned to solid form (very disgusting I know). Haven't ate there since.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
It's all about cooking time. I once was told at a KFC/Taco Bell that it would be a 10 minute wait while the meat finished cooking for my taco combo. My friend ordered first, he got the last of the cooked meat, so I waited what seemed like 10 minutes. They gave me my meal, I ate it. Went for my obligatory washroom trip after any meal in a restaurant. By the time I sat in the car to go home, I knew something was up, I was feeling flushed. I told my buddy to get me home quick, about a two minute drive to my house. I jumped out of the car, puked all over my lawn, thought I was finished went inside and rushed to the washroom again. It was a good solid weak before my bowel moverments returned to solid form (very disgusting I know). Haven't ate there since.

You are so right, it is all about cooking time! Chicken bought from takeaways are generally coated with some concoction, which may well appear to be thoroughly cooked on the outside, but chicken, especially, needs far more time than is generally given... Customers should complain more, even if they are given the standard spiel. But, the customer needs to follow up any complaint to the company, with one to the Food Standard Agency, whatever it is in that particular area.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thats one time I should have said something but didn't. I also had to roll over the corner of a Tim Horton's delivery van, at the crosswalk right next to a Tim Hortons no less. I swore and the driver was actually cursing me out, I didn't want to be late for my test and left, though I wish I hadn't....