Ice-Cream Anyone???

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
I thought I would start an Ice-Cream thread. It happens to be a favourite special treat of mine, since normally, I refrain from eating sweets, and usually don't have dessert. One sugar in my quad-shot Short macchiato (only to ease the bitterness) is about as sweet as I get. And I wasn't referring to my charm...(or lack thereof).

The idea is, to contribute Ice-cream recipes, tell your favourite Ice-cream related story (please try and keep it G-rated though) debate favourite flavours etc.

So to kick-off, In Oz, we prefer to buy ice-cream, rather than make it. Boutique Ice-creams like Baskin Robbins, Homer Hudson, Cold Rock and New Zealand Natural, Wendy's etc. are very popular, and serve an amazing variety of tantalizing treats.. BUT!

Making Ice-cream yourself is cheaper, tastes as good, if not better and you know exactly whats in it. so I thought I would start with this recipe, which goes perfectly with belgian waffles and loads of maple syrup.

Cinnamon Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar
and half-and-half. When the mixture begins to simmer, remove
from heat, and whisk half of the mixture into the eggs.
Whisk quickly so that the eggs do not scramble. Pour the egg
mixture back into the saucepan, and stir in the heavy cream.
Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly,
until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal
spoon. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla and cinnamon.
Set aside to cool. Pour cooled mixture into an ice cream maker,
and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

I hope you like it :)

krayzy-kutie

Nominee Member
May 10, 2005
Alberta
I personally like to buy ice cream rather than make it. I find it eaiser to just walk to the store and get me some ice cream....i dont know why...could it be cause I lack an ice cream maker? :roll: I think so..

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I thought I would start an Ice-Cream thread. It happens to be a favourite special treat of mine, since normally, I refrain from eating sweets, and usually don't have dessert. One sugar in my quad-shot Short macchiato (only to ease the bitterness) is about as sweet as I get. And I wasn't referring to my charm...(or lack thereof).

The idea is, to contribute Ice-cream recipes, tell your favourite Ice-cream related story (please try and keep it G-rated though) debate favourite flavours etc.

So to kick-off, In Oz, we prefer to buy ice-cream, rather than make it. Boutique Ice-creams like Baskin Robbins, Homer Hudson, Cold Rock and New Zealand Natural, Wendy's etc. are very popular, and serve an amazing variety of tantalizing treats.. BUT!

Making Ice-cream yourself is cheaper, tastes as good, if not better and you know exactly whats in it. so I thought I would start with this recipe, which goes perfectly with belgian waffles and loads of maple syrup.

Cinnamon Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar
and half-and-half. When the mixture begins to simmer, remove
from heat, and whisk half of the mixture into the eggs.
Whisk quickly so that the eggs do not scramble. Pour the egg
mixture back into the saucepan, and stir in the heavy cream.
Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly,
until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal
spoon. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla and cinnamon.
Set aside to cool. Pour cooled mixture into an ice cream maker,
and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

I hope you like it :)

Oh thank you. I've always wanted to try and make my own ice-cream!

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I like chocolate and vanilla and butterscotch ripple and strawberry and butternut pecan and strawberry ripple. Ice cream is an important part of a well balanced diet.What kind of ice-cream would Jesus eat?:wave:

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I don't really have any icecream related stories... but my fav is Tiger Tiger ^.^
What is Tiger Tiger?

I like to buy mine also, vanilla and then I let my imagination run rampid with what I put on it. Imagination is a wonderful thing and can really make it sinful (opps Sanctus better not read this HAHA). My favorite add ons are fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries and blackberries then all I have to do is enjoy.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I like chocolate and vanilla and butterscotch ripple and strawberry and butternut pecan and strawberry ripple. Ice cream is an important part of a well balanced diet.What kind of ice-cream would Jesus eat?:wave:
All kinds:) We're ice-cream feaks too. Husband can't stand chocolate though, which means it's all mine! My favourite is Neopolitan....but I'd not turn any away....

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
What is Tiger Tiger?

I like to buy mine also, vanilla and then I let my imagination run rampid with what I put on it. Imagination is a wonderful thing and can really make it sinful (opps Sanctus better not read this HAHA). My favorite add ons are fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries and blackberries then all I have to do is enjoy.

Tiger Tiger is orange and licorice put together.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Jesus would definitely eat Klondike Bars.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
All kinds:) We're ice-cream feaks too. Husband can't stand chocolate though, which means it's all mine! My favourite is Neopolitan....but I'd not turn any away....

I forgot neopolitan, which we in NS call threeflavour, oh MaryGaspe there won't be any ice-cream in that hot place I'm going to will there?:wave:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I always add a bit of milk or cream to my ice cream and let it sit for a minute in a stainless steel bowl. I love the icy crust. Too bad I don't have any ice cream. *sniff* :|

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't eat ice-cream products very much, but when I do I buy "Frozen Yogurt", and I think it tastes
just as good as any ice cream, and I don't feel guilty after, so that works for me, now, if I could
only find something to replace the chocolate cake that goes with it.:|

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Chocolate ice-cream, with chocolate chips and a loooot of chocolate sauce.... it's a dream come true....