Canadian Meals / Recipes

floss

Jan 23, 2006
What is a true canadian recipe. Here in England I would say Stew, a roast dinner (sunday) oh and fish and chips on a friday night.

Obviously we like currys and chinese food but obviously they aren't from here.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Re: canadian meals

Everything you mention sounds exactly like what I enjoy eating--how about beans and back bacon for a truly Canadian meal?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
RE: canadian meals

So what have I eaten this week? mala tang, mala doufu, kaomantou, su chaomian, haidaisi, chaofan, among others.

And to drink? Baikai shui and huashenglu.

The usual local stuff.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

This is from my copy of The laura Secord Canadian Cook Book[1996]:Combine 1/2 pound hamburger,1 tablespoon chopped onion,1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4teaspoon baking powder. Stir in:3 egg yolks. Fold in:3 egg whites,stiffly beaten. Drop like pancakes onto hot griddle & turn once, Serve alone or with tomato or mushroom sauce.. The recipe is for Hamburger Pancakes & is from Saskatchewan.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

From the same source: Acadian Chicken: Wash and wipe dry one rabbit,skinned and drawn. fill with bread stuffing[skewer the opening]. place in roaster and cover rabbit with bacon strips or salt pork. bake in 350degree oven for about 1 hour.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are

Anyone remember The Northern Cookbook? It had recipes like "Jellied Moose Nose" and tips on cooking polar bear. Hehe!

Classic Canadian cookbook. I love the little drawings around the recipes. My mom had one when I was a kid and my mother in law still has hers. I would love to get one of my own, although we don't see much moose nose in the supermarket. :lol:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

I think Nanaimo Bars are truly Canadian. The ones you get in restaurants and grocers aren't very good, they are not nearly as good as my mother's recipe. Now if I could only find that recipe book of hers.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

My gf has a cookbook of classic Newfoundland recipies, as well as I think one for Nova Scotia.

In a statement to our diversity though, I must mention once seeing a recipie published in a canadian tabloid paper for "winter gamey cat". Yes, it was a recipie for felus domesitus (guess which major city the paper came from.... should not be hard since size is key to there being a big enough community for such a recipie)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: canadian meals

Knoss said:
Chicken wings basted in butter and maple syrup, with poutine ont he side, and red cap from a stubby bottle.MMMMMM..... MMMMMMMMMMM

Good god, that could almost sway me to eat chicken again. Almost, but not quite. :) Hmm, tofu basted in butter and maple syrup, maybe? Stick some feathers in it and who'd know the difference? (she stands back to await the angst and uproad soon to come down on this thread for such sacrilege)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Porqupine stuffed with baked brown beans, strips of bacon may be used but are not necessary as a good porky has lots of fat on it. Roast like chicken, baste with drippings
as often as required. This is tasty and they are easy to catch because they,re slow moving, any I,ve eaten are a cross between chicken and pork. Exercise caution when skinning.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I,ve never had badger myself, I,ve never seen one but when in a depression do what the depressed do. I,am writing a cook book of domestic pets and I,d like to get some favorites from the forum, you know budgy pie, puppy ka-bobs, gold fish soup and the like. You don,t have to wait for a special occasion like a depression to eat porkys, they are really very good to eat.

imaginarylion

May 6, 2006

darkbeaver said:
Porqupine stuffed with baked brown beans, strips of bacon may be used but are not necessary as a good porky has lots of fat on it. Roast like chicken, baste with drippings
as often as required. This is tasty and they are easy to catch because they,re slow moving, any I,ve eaten are a cross between chicken and pork. Exercise caution when skinning.

I remember reading in a book once about these gypsies in England, who cooked a hedgehog by plastering it in clay and baking it, and then peeling off the skin, along with all the spines, because it was all attached to the clay.. I imagine with a porcupine the principle is the same? I don't know if aborigines here eat echidna..

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

imaginarylion said:
darkbeaver said:

I remember reading in a book once about these gypsies in England, who cooked a hedgehog by plastering it in clay and baking it, and then peeling off the skin, along with all the spines, because it was all attached to the clay.. I imagine with a porcupine the principle is the same? I don't know if aborigines here eat echidna..

Welcome to CanadianContent, imaginarylion.

I went on a work retreat one time where we dug out a pit, inserted red hot charcoals, wrapped a pig in burlap, placed it in the pit, buried it for about 6 hours, dug it up and feasted on the most tender and juicy pork.