Green Chili Burritos Enchilada Style.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
In Phoenix Arizona there was a mexican food restaurant that we all loved by the name of Valle Del Sol Restaurant. They have been closed for several years now but of all the mexican food restaurants in Phoenix and there are several, Valle Del Sol was the best in our opinion. One of thier specialties that I loved was the green chili 'burros' enchilada style. I would choose that off the menu every time. Since they closed, well over twenty years ago I have tried to duplicate the recipe. I've never been able to match it exact. Just some ingredients they had that I cannot pinpoint. But I've been able to develop a fairly close second or third. I'd go shopping at a Latino grocery store that I liked down at the ole Bario. I'd get a huge tamale roast from the meat section. All the fresh vegetables I'd need from produce. Some good cheddar cheese. I'd buy the extra large flour tortillas. The thinner the better. Then I'd finish off with the canned goods I'd need. Check out, head home and get started. I'd cut the huge tamale beef roast in large chunks, chop up a couple yellow onions, dice several garlic cloves and put it all in my crock pot to slow cook for 5 or 6 hours. I would then prep some of the ingredients and put them in sealable containers and put them in the frig . When the meat was cooked tender enough to shred, I would add some stewed tomatoes, plenty of diced green chilis, diced jalepeno chilis, old El Paso enchilada sauce and some beef gravy for thickening. I would then let the chili simmer for an hour, maybe two. When all the flavors had melted together I would spoon a quart or so of the sauce from the green chili and put it in a sauce pan. Then it was time to plate and serve. I would first make a large burrito and put it in the center of the plate. I would then put shredded iceberg lettace on both sides of the burrito. Then I would sprinkle a good amount of grated cheddar cheese on top of the burrito and shredded lettace. I would then take the hot chili sauce and cover the burrito and the lettace. Then finally, I'd put sliced black olives, chopped green onions and chopped red tomatoes on top. And that's about it.

Last edited: