Seafood chowder - That extra special ingredient???

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
At one base we had a civilian whose mother made Chowder to die for. Year in year out people begged for the recipe.
He told no one.
She made it in one of those army cooking pots- the large type used in the field.
Lobster, scallops, I believe crab as well.
It was made for our curling, golf and other events.
But one ingredient set it apart.
No one could figure it out.
As the base was closing he gave me a copy, I think I still have it.
So I figured I will share this with those that make a chowder.
Chez Whiz- was the extra ingredient.
Who would have thought that.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Cheez Whiz?!? That almost makes me never want to eat chowder again. 8O
you could probably substitute Velveeta if you want it more rubbery than spreadable. you might even be fooled it's calamari heh

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That's awesome! funny how we can tell there is that extra dimension to the taste but can't put our finger on what it exactly is.

I will use cheez whiz in my cheese sauce to make it more orange.

I will use soya sauce in my gravy to make it darker and it helps bulk up the density of the flavour. But usually only if it's a poor cut.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That's awesome! funny how we can tell there is that extra dimension to the taste but can't put our finger on what it exactly is.

I will use cheez whiz in my cheese sauce to make it more orange.

I will use soya sauce in my gravy to make it darker and it helps bulk up the density of the flavour. But usually only if it's a poor cut.

Problem with soya, and I love it is the high salt content.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
As I have posted before, the best secret ingredient is grated parsnips. Adds an immense amount of flavor!

What sort of flavour? I've never had parsnips that I know of. What would be the best way for a newb to try parsnips?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
What sort of flavour? I've never had parsnips that I know of. What would be the best way for a newb to try parsnips?

grated, especially if you make into a very fine or powdery form, adds a spicy flavor

Put it into a blender or food processor and it'll come out real good.