Walmart Must Tell Us Why Their Ice Cream Sandwiches Don't Melt

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
For at least one week, the World Wide Web has been in an uproar about Walmart's Great Value ice cream sandwiches that won't melt after 12 hours in 80-degree heat. The issue was raised in this WPCO report when a Cincinnati mother, Christie Watson, saw that her child's ice cream sandwich simply wouldn't melt.

Then, Dan Collins of KIKN 100.5 in Sioux Falls also put the sandwiches to the test:

Activist Post: Walmart Must Tell Us Why Their Ice Cream Sandwiches Don't Melt

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Take a close look at the creamers (the ones in the little individual cups) that you get at a fast food place of the coffee area of 7-11 or gas station. Says right on it that they are petroleum products.

Same deal with this 'ice cream' and I'm sure if you read the fine print, it will say something like 'ice cream style'.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Take a close look at the creamers (the ones in the little individual cups) that you get at a fast food place of the coffee area of 7-11 or gas station. Says right on it that they are petroleum products.

Same deal with this 'ice cream' and I'm sure if you read the fine print, it will say something like 'ice cream style'.

Lol, yes. Milk like product.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
WCPO thankfully followed up with their original fear-mongering story with a little real research by interviewing nutritional scientist Grace Yek who helped the world make sense again. According to Yek, Walmart uses the plant-based stabilizers guar gum and cellulose gum to prevent the ice cream from becoming gross and crunchy. Yek explained, “they do serve a purpose in that they give even high-quality ice cream that mouth feel, that creamy texture, and the minimization of ice crystals,”
If the FDA approval of guar gum and cellulose gum doesn’t assuage your anxiety, consider this:
Guar gum is made from a legume called a guar bean, ground into a powder.
Cellulose gum is made from tree pulp and cotton linters, also no big deal. Gums like these are used in lots of foods that you eat every day. Geek.com delved into this subject a bit deeper. Brian Whitwam describes how a third ingredient, calcium sulfate traps moisture and works with the guar gum to create the perfect ice cream texture for the ice cream sandwich. Science: It works, bitches. And it is also delicious.

Just Chill: It doesn’t matter that your ice cream sandwich won’t melt | The Skeptics Guide to the Universe

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all I am not into GMO products however there would be no need for
Walmart to explain anything if people only read the damn label. All the fuss
because people don't read and therefore can't make an informed decision
as to whether or not to buy something. Today society is always ready to
go off madly in all directions without first knowing the facts, or at least
attempting to understand the facts

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
First of all I am not into GMO products however there would be no need for
Walmart to explain anything if people only read the damn label. All the fuss
because people don't read and therefore can't make an informed decision
as to whether or not to buy something. Today society is always ready to
go off madly in all directions without first knowing the facts, or at least
attempting to understand the facts

It's NOT GMO!!!!!!! God you people are idiots. Sometimes it is beyond me how some of you manage to walk and breathe at the same time.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If it don't melt it ain't ice-cream, FDA approval, whoopie it must be safe, they wouldn't lie, even if the #2 at the FDA is freshly hired from Monsatano.

Show what is not "safe" in an ice cream sandwich. If you can't, then shut the fu ck up. I'm sick and tired of you brainless twats spouting the "sky is falling" bullishyte without backing up any of your rhetoric.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Show what is not "safe" in an ice cream sandwich. If you can't, then shut the fu ck up. I'm sick and tired of you brainless twats spouting the "sky is falling" bullishyte without backing up any of your rhetoric.

When did the Ice Cream Sandwich Man get to you Gerryh!

WHEN DID YOU OUT!!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
When did the Ice Cream Sandwich Man get to you Gerryh!

WHEN DID YOU OUT!!!

Like I said, tired of the sky is falling bullshyte from the same brainless twats over and over again with out proving or backing up their bullshyte. They can start putting up or shut up.

AND.... The moron damngrumpy, supposedly some high mucky muck in the Okanogan who is CONSTANTLY going on and on about GMO. The vast majority of the fu cking fruit he sells came about through some kind of genetic modification. Fu cking hypocrite, OR to damn stupid to realize it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Like I said, tired of the sky is falling bullshyte from the same brainless twats over and over again with out proving or backing up their bullshyte. They can start putting up or shut up.

Sell out!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Have you eaten this synthetic product today?

Ice cream sandwhiches melt, this is the first thing the forensic guys look for, if it don't melt it 's just some white stuff.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Have you eaten this synthetic product today?

Ice cream sandwhiches melt, this is the first thing the forensic guys look for, if it don't melt it 's just some white stuff.

Your implication was that it wasn't safe to eat. Prove it. What ingredients does it have in it that makes it unsafe.