Spaghetti sauce

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Spaghetti sauce
I have 2 large Paderno pots that I use. If you have one large pot. Just as good

As much fresh as possible. In the fall I purchase in bulk, and make a large batch of sauce. I add the meat later.

Roma tomatoes
Fresh mushrooms – I look for larger mushrooms, wash them, cut into long thick slices, if needed, cut again in half. Washing large qtys- clean and rinse sink – Place strainer in drain, leave partially open, place mushrooms in, add water, turn & rotate mushrooms, as they rub against each other they clean up fairly well. Remove, set to dry. When dry, saute lightly
Yellow, red and orange peppers in equal amounts- green are to tart. Hull, and cut into large chunks . 1/4 – 1/4 or so
Onions- sauteed

Spices- Oregano, basil- I cannot use bay leaves as I have a reaction.
Garlic- fresh or minced- I use the minced as this is quicker.
Tomatoes in first to simmer. Then add as you slice & saute.

I suggest adding the hot peppers as this helps even out the flavor.

Cutting quantities of hot peppers- use plastic gloves. Hull and dice.

As I use 2 large pots, I put in amounts that are as equal as possible.

That is day one, let sauce cool and store in the garage as I do. I wait for low temps. Cover till next day.

Day 2, start warming sauce slowly.

If you still have a sauce that is to hot for your taste, repeat day 2 on day 3. The hot peppers taste has usually evened out and you should not have any little hot spots that bite back at you.

Some suggestions for peppers to try.
Hot peppers
Jalapeno or Serrano
Anaheim Chile;
Habanero Pepper
Hot Banana
Shi****o
Giant Goliath sweet peppers
Aruba sweet peppers

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_img/chile_peppers.jpg

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/pepper-ratings.png

Sweet Chili Peppers - Types of Sweet Peppers

Sweet Peppers, Bell Peppers, Sweet Bell Peppers, Gourmet Peppers, Seeds, Sweet Pepper Seeds, Pepper Seeds, Vegetable Seeds, Capsicum annuum, Seed Catalog - Reimer Seeds

No meat in the sauce, no tomato paste till later. I then freeze in containers. I later take it out, add the burger,tomato paste & make a slew of lasagna's, use 2 to 3 different cheeses, freeze what is not cooked.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Spaghetti sauce
I have 2 large Paderno pots that I use. If you have one large pot. Just as good

As much fresh as possible. In the fall I purchase in bulk, and make a large batch of sauce. I add the meat later.

Roma tomatoes
Fresh mushrooms – I look for larger mushrooms, wash them, cut into long thick slices, if needed, cut again in half. Washing large qtys- clean and rinse sink – Place strainer in drain, leave partially open, place mushrooms in, add water, turn & rotate mushrooms, as they rub against each other they clean up fairly well. Remove, set to dry. When dry, saute lightly
Yellow, red and orange peppers in equal amounts- green are to tart. Hull, and cut into large chunks . 1/4 – 1/4 or so
Onions- sauteed

Spices- Oregano, basil- I cannot use bay leaves as I have a reaction.
Garlic- fresh or minced- I use the minced as this is quicker.
Tomatoes in first to simmer. Then add as you slice & saute.

I suggest adding the hot peppers as this helps even out the flavor.

Cutting quantities of hot peppers- use plastic gloves. Hull and dice.

As I use 2 large pots, I put in amounts that are as equal as possible.

That is day one, let sauce cool and store in the garage as I do. I wait for low temps. Cover till next day.

Day 2, start warming sauce slowly.

If you still have a sauce that is to hot for your taste, repeat day 2 on day 3. The hot peppers taste has usually evened out and you should not have any little hot spots that bite back at you.

Some suggestions for peppers to try.
Hot peppers
Jalapeno or Serrano
Anaheim Chile;
Habanero Pepper
Hot Banana
Shi****o
Giant Goliath sweet peppers
Aruba sweet peppers

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_img/chile_peppers.jpg

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/pepper-ratings.png

Sweet Chili Peppers - Types of Sweet Peppers

Sweet Peppers, Bell Peppers, Sweet Bell Peppers, Gourmet Peppers, Seeds, Sweet Pepper Seeds, Pepper Seeds, Vegetable Seeds, Capsicum annuum, Seed Catalog - Reimer Seeds

No meat in the sauce, no tomato paste till later. I then freeze in containers. I later take it out, add the burger,tomato paste & make a slew of lasagna's, use 2 to 3 different cheeses, freeze what is not cooked.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That sounds good Goober. The following is a sauce recipe that I used when I was going to school. The emphasis is on simplicity.

Sauce Ingredients

Two cans stewed tomatoes
two cans tomato sauce
three cans tomato paste
two medium onions diced
one tablespoon crushed garlic
two generoius tablespoons each dried basil and dried oregano
one cup chopped spinach
one red bell pepper chopped
one teaspoon red pepper flakes
about two cups water
one and a half pounds of lean ground beef, broken up and browned
Throw all of the above into a deep skillet and stir. If it is too thick add a bit more water.
Simmer for one and a half hours, stirring occasionally.

If you want a vegetarian sauce leave out the ground bee
f.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That sounds good Goober. The following is a sauce recipe that I used when I was going to school. The emphasis is on simplicity.

Sauce Ingredients

Two cans stewed tomatoes
two cans tomato sauce
three cans tomato paste
two medium onions diced
one tablespoon crushed garlic
two generoius tablespoons each dried basil and dried oregano
one cup chopped spinach
one red bell pepper chopped
one teaspoon red pepper flakes
about two cups water
one and a half pounds of lean ground beef, broken up and browned
Throw all of the above into a deep skillet and stir. If it is too thick add a bit more water.
Simmer for one and a half hours, stirring occasionally.

If you want a vegetarian sauce leave out the ground bee
f.

What I like about it is I make enough comfort food for the winter and spring. If I run low I bite the bullet and pay the high prices. And it is a fresh as you can get.
I also BBQ in the winter, nothing like BBQ chicken, small potatoes, on the grill to give you that taste of summer. I use a bit of mesquite on the potatoes, cut them in half, a tad of butter, wrapped in tinfoil, one layer per packet, lots of sour cream and pepper when ready.

Thank you for the compliment.