Barbeque brushes can be dangerous

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've had it happen too. I've also had ceramic grill coating break away into my steak, disguising itself nicely as searing.

I still haven't found a better alternative though. My one friend makes a point to scrub it with the bristle brush, then brush it clean with the 'scour pad' on the other side.

Life holds dangers.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've had it happen too. I've also had ceramic grill coating break away into my steak, disguising itself nicely as searing.

I still haven't found a better alternative though. My one friend makes a point to scrub it with the bristle brush, then brush it clean with the 'scour pad' on the other side.

Life holds dangers.

We bought a new brush. Surprised to learn that barbeque brushes can be had for as low as $2.00 and as high as $20.00. On the cheaper ones the bristles are set in plastic. If you are brushing a hot grille, I can see how the bristles could loosen up in the plastic.
Might be an idea to spend a bit more than two dollars....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We bought a new brush. Surprised to learn that barbeque brushes can be had for as low as $2.00 and as high as $20.00. On the cheaper ones the bristles are set in plastic. If you are brushing a hot grille, I can see how the bristles could loosen up in the plastic.
Might be an idea to spend a bit more than two dollars....

I wouldn't spend more than the 2 bucks or so. No matter what you buy, it will wear out and need replacing. Wood wears down and splits/cracks and the bristles drop. Plastic melts whether you pay 2.00 or 20.00 for it.

You can buy ones that are all steel, with the bristles wrapped around a central wire. They're not going to come apart or melt, but, people have a bad habit of leaving them out in the elements, so I'm sure they'd eventually break down to.

I'd just as soon pay the 2 bucks, and chuck it when it's time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wouldn't spend more than the 2 bucks or so. No matter what you buy, it will wear out and need replacing. Wood wears down and splits/cracks and the bristles drop. Plastic melts whether you pay 2.00 or 20.00 for it.

You can buy ones that are all steel, with the bristles wrapped around a central wire. They're not going to come apart or melt, but, people have a bad habit of leaving them out in the elements, so I'm sure they'd eventually break down to.

I'd just as soon pay the 2 bucks, and chuck it when it's time.

I think it is my responsibility to make sure there are no loose wires. Just cleaning the grille after you use the brush will remove most of the problems.