One Hour Baked Bean Medley

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
From Jonny's Kitchen :smile:

This is one of my favourites. I would be surprised if anyone who tried this didn't find it good... it's not "traditional" but it sure is tasty... and quick to prepare.

You can play around with it a bit, but I would suggest starting with the basic recipe.

One Hour Baked Bean Medley

1 lb lean hamburger
1 large onion – diced
½ c diced green or red pepper
1 tbsp oil
1 can kidney beans - drained
1 can “bean medley” (mixed beans) - drained
1 can pork and beans in tomato sauce (Clark’s preferred)
½ c Bullseye "Bold Original" BBQ sauce (Walmart “Original Bold” is just as good)
2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
¼ c brown sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

In a large cooking pot, heat oil, then scramble fry hamburger and onion until onion is soft and hamburger is no longer pink.

Take off the heat and add all beans.

Mix mustard, brown sugar, bbq sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper in a measuring cup, then stir into bean mixture.

Turn the entire mixture into a casserole with cover or a small covered roast pan.

Bake in a 350* oven for 1 hour.

Serve with buttered toast or broiled garlic bread.

---

You can stretch this recipe a bit by adding 2 cans of pork and beans instead of 1. Still just as good.

You can use 1 tbsp chili powder (optional for a more chili-type flavour). Also, in this case, you can throw in 1/2 can of diced tomatoes (lightly drained) if you like. Works well as a variation.

I would suggest not omitting or substituting the bold BBQ sauce. It works really well in this recipe.