Ingredients

1 four pound flat of fresh strawberries
1 plain white/yellow cake...no icing
2 tablespoons strawbery jam
250 grams fresh whipping cream
about half a cup white sugar

Directions
Whip cream with three teaspoons of sugar and put it in the fridge
Clean and separate strawberries...put ripest berries, about half of them in bowl and set aside.
Put rest of strawberries in food processor with the rest of the sugar and srawberry jam
pulse berries into a lumpy liquid.
Save a large, ripe, whole strawberry for each serving. Slice the rest into quarters.
Cut cake into three inch by three inch pieces
Cut each piece into two layers
Put down bottom layer. Put on a few strawberry quarters and pour on the lumpy liquidized
strawberries. Put on a dollup of whipped cream. Put on the top layer and repeat,
Add a good, big, dollup of whipped cream and decorate each piece with strawberry quarters
and the whole berry.

PS...California strawberries looked particularly good today and that is where the idea came from.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ingredients

1 four pound flat of fresh strawberries
1 plain white/yellow cake...no icing
2 tablespoons strawbery jam
250 grams fresh whipping cream
about half a cup white sugar

Directions
Whip cream with three teaspoons of sugar and put it in the fridge
Clean and separate strawberries...put ripest berries, about half of them in bowl and set aside.
Put rest of strawberries in food processor with the rest of the sugar and srawberry jam
pulse berries into a lumpy liquid.
Save a large, ripe, whole strawberry for each serving. Slice the rest into quarters.
Cut cake into three inch by three inch pieces
Cut each piece into two layers
Put down bottom layer. Put on a few strawberry quarters and pour on the lumpy liquidized
strawberries. Put on a dollup of whipped cream. Put on the top layer and repeat,
Add a good, big, dollup of whipped cream and decorate each piece with strawberry quarters
and the whole berry.

PS...California strawberries looked particularly good today and that is where the idea came from.

Mmmmm, strawberry shortcake. One of my absolute favourites. :D

When I was a little girl my mother would make me, on my birthday, a sponge cake in a bundt pan. She would carefully slice the top off, about an inch or so, then cut or scoop out the interior of the ring. Then she'd take fresh strawberries, mix it with real whipped cream and fill it in, then replace the top. For frosting it was strawberry pieces mixed with really stiff whipped cream that she slathered all over the cake. It was like strawberry heaven.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Mmmmm, strawberry shortcake. One of my absolute favourites. :D

When I was a little girl my mother would make me, on my birthday, a sponge cake in a bundt pan. She would carefully slice the top off, about an inch or so, then cut or scoop out the interior of the ring. Then she'd take fresh strawberries, mix it with real whipped cream and fill it in, then replace the top. For frosting it was strawberry pieces mixed with really stiff whipped cream that she slathered all over the cake. It was like strawberry heaven.

That does sound good. You used to be able to buy little angelfood cups that would hold
a good helping of strawberries and cream. Often the best way to some dishes is the path of
least resistance....
.:lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That does sound good. You used to be able to buy little angelfood cups that would hold
a good helping of strawberries and cream. Often the best way to some dishes is the path of
least resistance....
.:lol:

It was good, believe me! I would try to replicate it but, alas, I am not a baker and everytime I look for a bundt cake (sponge, angelfood, whatever) they seem a lot smaller than the ones Mom used to make.

But I do buy those little angelfood mini cakes all the time and serve those with cream and strawberries. It is a really nice and light dessert for spring and summertime.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The distance is half an hour between my kitchen and those ingredients, round trip. Sometimes you have this power over me. I don't know if I can resist this time.

Go for it db. I understand that if you clap your hands three times over the whipped cream,
all the calories go away.....I read this in a book.......somewhere..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It was good, believe me! I would try to replicate it but, alas, I am not a baker and everytime I look for a bundt cake (sponge, angelfood, whatever) they seem a lot smaller than the ones Mom used to make.

But I do buy those little angelfood mini cakes all the time and serve those with cream and strawberries. It is a really nice and light dessert for spring and summertime.

Well, if you don't mind calories, try making it with Kentucky butter cake (lots of recipes online). It's a lot richer, firmer too so it would be easier to work with I think. And you don't need to make the sauce (if you don't want to, but who wouldn't want to? What are you, crazy?)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well, if you don't mind calories, try making it with Kentucky butter cake (lots of recipes online). It's a lot richer, firmer too so it would be easier to work with I think. And you don't need to make the sauce (if you don't want to, but who wouldn't want to? What are you, crazy?)

I may be nuts but I'm not crazy! Butter sauce it is. lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't remember the exact day but I first had strawberry shortcake about sixty years ago.
The cake was a sponge cake my mother made. The Strawberries were from our backyard.
The cream came from the grocery store. At that point I had never heard of Bundt cake. According
to my mom, tradition had it that it must be sponge cake. Anyway, that is what I think of as strawberry
shortcake.

Last edited: