Why would you have 'leftover' steak?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I didn't read the link, but I just cut thin strips from leftover steak (hardly ever left over though),

and make a sandwitch next day.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not a term I use often. When we have steak, everyone gets a steak. For company I usually use ribeyes or
porterhouse steaks. There is rarely any meat left over.........If there was left over steak in the fridge, the first
person up would likely get steak and eggs for breakfast.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I use leftover steak in any number of ways... steak and eggs, sandwiches, pasta, fried rice, put it in gravy with mushrooms and pour it over boiled potatoes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There was a time when we had six couples over for a steak dinner. My butcher gave me a good deal on some nice New York strip loins. As it turned out, two couples couldn't make it so we had four steaks too many. The steaks had already been thawed from frozen and I didn't want to freeze them again. I could have just put the "leftover" steaks on the grill over the next few days as we needed them. What I did was slice a medium onion into a shallow baking dish with a lid.
I browned the steaks lightly and put them into the baking dish on top of the onion. I had a couple
cups of nice dark gravy that was left over from a roast. I poured the gravy over the steaks and I covered the dish and put it in a 300 degree oven for about five hours. The result was a kind of deluxe "stew" that absolutely melted in your mouth. I don't suggest that we go out and buy good
steak to make stew but this was a kind of a "happening" that I would do again under similar circumstances.

Last edited:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
"Leftover" steaks? I don't even understand the concept.

You should have never taught that one to turn on the BBQ.

We have rib eyes almost exclusively, my butcher calls them 'Delminicos'. I always scarf mine down but my wife often has a chunk left over. Steak and eggs is the preferred option.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
The family packs go on sale often enough that I routinely have leftover meat. Six steaks for six euro? I'm all over that. Still, more meat than the wife and I will sensibly eat.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I find that a typical rib steak (my favorite cut) is about double the amount of meat that I want for a meal, so we often have leftovers. However, it's easy to have for lunch the next day, so it's no waste.

A few years ago, I started cutting back the amount of food I eat, and I find that most restaurant meals are double what I want now, and a good meat portion is 4 to 6 ounces.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I like using left over steak in a salad the next day. Thinly cut strips are a real treat and add the protein for a nice meal. I've also used it as a treat - cut thinly in small pieces on a plate with a side of horseradish and a crunchy roll.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I find that a typical rib steak (my favorite cut) is about double the amount of meat that I want for a meal, so we often have leftovers. However, it's easy to have for lunch the next day, so it's no waste.

A few years ago, I started cutting back the amount of food I eat, and I find that most restaurant meals are double what I want now, and a good meat portion is 4 to 6 ounces.

Tapas restaurants are good for that. You can just order as much as you want. I recall sushi restaurants being similar.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Oh sure, just be sensible and healthful. lol.
I have been doing the same especially after hitting the big 50 but my steak is my treat and I won't give it up. Steak and garlic mashed potatoes.
Last week we ate vegetarian all week (by accident almost) until yesterday, you guessed it, steak week this week. Every payday.

And people have not listed Beer- My Lord - Sharpen up people-

Do you have the audacity to suggest there would be leftover beer. ;)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Oh sure, just be sensible and healthful. lol.
I have been doing the same especially after hitting the big 50 but my steak is my treat and I won't give it up. Steak and garlic mashed potatoes.
Last week we ate vegetarian all week (by accident almost) until yesterday, you guessed it, steak week this week. Every payday.

Do you have the audacity to suggest there would be leftover beer. ;)

Yes- I have enough home made beer that you cannot drink it all in one sitting - excepting pee breaks. I mean do you really ever run out of beer. If so my heart goes out to you.