Easy Meat Loaf

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ingredients:

11/2 pounds lean ground beef
11/2 pound mild Italian sausage(skins removed)
1 medium onion finely chopped
4 slices white bread cut into half inch cubes
salt and pepper to taste

Remove casings from sausage and place in medium mixing bowl
Using a fork mix sausages with the rest of the ingredients really well

Press mixture into greased 4 inch by 9 inch baking pan

Cook in 375 gegree oven for one hour and fifteen minutes. Pour off extra fat and let
sit for ten minutes before serving. Goes good with mashed potatoes and gravy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds good Juan Thanks! No egg binder?

The binder is the pork sausage and the cooked meatloaf can be sliced into firm, slices that don't fall apart.

Good gravy can be had by mixing a cup of water with a rounded teaspoon of cornstarch disolved in it. For the taste, use a tspn of "Better than boullion"(beef version) and stir it in.....good luck.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The binder is the pork sausage and the cooked meatloaf can be sliced into firm, slices that don't fall apart.

Good gravy can be had by mixing a cup of water with a rounded teaspoon of cornstarch disolved in it. For the taste, use a tspn or so of "Better than boullion"(beef version) and stir it in.....good luck.

Interesting. I'll try the sausage next time.

I usually use the cubed bread like in your recipe but I soak it in milk first. I find this helps to bind and also keeps the meatloaf moist too.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ingredients:

11/2 pounds lean ground beef
11/2 pound mild Italian sausage(skins removed)
1 medium onion finely chopped
4 slices white bread cut into half inch cubes
salt and pepper to taste

Remove casings from sausage and place in medium mixing bowl
Using a fork mix sausages with the rest of the ingredients really well

Press mixture into greased 4 inch by 9 inch baking pan

Cook in 375 gegree oven for one hour and fifteen minutes. Pour off extra fat and let
sit for ten minutes before serving. Goes good with mashed potatoes and gravy.

If a guy used whole wheat bread would it screw it up? :smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If a guy used whole wheat bread would it screw it up? :smile:

Shouldn't be a problem. I use whatever is on hand; whole wheat bread, white bread, cubed hamburger buns. Years ago,
my Mom made meat loaf using rolled oats. I can't remember how much she used.:roll::smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
thanks Juan, its interesting with the italian sausage added, I haven't done it that way before, but
I will try it now.

My mother made meatloaf using sausage years ago. When most of the family was home she made quite a large meatloaf and there was enough left over to make meatloaf sandwiches which have become one of my favorites. Four or five years ago I started using mild Italian sausage and I stuck with it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My mother made meatloaf using sausage years ago. When most of the family was home she made quite a large meatloaf and there was enough left over to make meatloaf sandwiches which have become one of my favorites. Four or five years ago I started using mild Italian sausage and I stuck with it.

meatloaf sandwitches are awsome.