Chipotle Sauce

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Chipotle Sauce | TABASCO® Products | TABASCO.com

Chipotles date back to region that is now northern Mexico City, prior to the Aztec civilization. It is conjectured that the Aztecs smoked the chilies because the thick, fleshy, jalapeno was difficult to dry and prone to rot. The Aztecs used the same "smoke drying" process for the chilies as they used for drying meats. This smoking allowed the chilies to be stored for a substantial period of time.

Today Chipotles are used widely throughout Mexico as well as in the United States. Quite popular in the South Western U.S. and California; Chipotles have found their way into the cuisine of many celebrity chefs from Hawaii to Manhattan.

This is a hot sauce that is not quite as hot as regular Tobasco and the taste is great. My wife tried it in San Diego and came back raving about it. Now I'm raving about it.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
For some nice heat (not dumb heat....but there, & tasty), try this stuff
(I'm feeling like a spammer here, but this stuff is awesome!!!)

"Roasted Garlic & Chili Aioli" by Culinary Treasures (found at Costo).

I've had this on Burgers, Fish, Pork, Chicken, mixed it with Sour Cream
for a Veggie Dip.....and some other experimentation & it's fantastic stuff!
I've added a healthy squirt to homemade soups, and into gravy's when
I'm making them, and spiced up salad dressings, etc....it's handy and
cheap too.

Aioli: Aioli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

cheap too.

That sounds good as well Ron. I'll definitely try it. The smoked Tobasco is a similar "nice heat" I hope it comes in a bigger bottle. We polished off the first bottle in a week and a half.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Chipotle Sauce | TABASCO® Products | TABASCO.com

Chipotles date back to region that is now northern Mexico City, prior to the Aztec civilization. It is conjectured that the Aztecs smoked the chilies because the thick, fleshy, jalapeno was difficult to dry and prone to rot. The Aztecs used the same "smoke drying" process for the chilies as they used for drying meats. This smoking allowed the chilies to be stored for a substantial period of time.

Today Chipotles are used widely throughout Mexico as well as in the United States. Quite popular in the South Western U.S. and California; Chipotles have found their way into the cuisine of many celebrity chefs from Hawaii to Manhattan.

This is a hot sauce that is not quite as hot as regular Tobasco and the taste is great. My wife tried it in San Diego and came back raving about it. Now I'm raving about it.
You're so right #Juan, chipotle has an amazing flavous. I'm not a huge fan of off the shelf products, so I've smoked Jalapeños, and Habañeros till they were dried.

I've then brined them, and made sauces. I learned quickly to use latex gloves when doing so, lol.

Although I can't replicate the exact flavour you get with authentic chipotle, likely because I'm not using the same woods. I do get a tasty end product.

I too like some heat, but nice heat....not the dumb beyond...beyond heat.
I used to eat ridiculously hot things, then my stomach got old, lol.

Now I'm all about the flavour.

Same thing with alcohol, lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You're so right #Juan, chipotle has an amazing flavous. I'm not a huge fan of off the shelf products, so I've smoked Jalapeños, and Habañeros till they were dried.

I've then brined them, and made sauces. I learned quickly to use latex gloves when doing so, lol.

Although I can't replicate the exact flavour you get with authentic chipotle, likely because I'm not using the same woods. I do get a tasty end product.
Ron;
I used to eat ridiculously hot things, then my stomach got old, lol.

Now I'm all about the flavour.

Same thing with alcohol, lol.
Hi bear
It's funny that this hot sauce has a scoville rating of 1500-2500. That sounds pretty high but there are things(I hesitate to say foods) out there with a rating of 30,000.....probably take the paint off your car....:roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hi bear
It's funny that this hot sauce has a scoville rating of 1500-2500. That sounds pretty high but there are things(I hesitate to say foods) out there with a rating of 30,000.....probably take the paint off your car....:roll:
Ya, I don't see the need for that kind of heat. I've found you can't taste what your eating when it's that hot.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Chipotle is delicious.

cheap too.

Aioli as well.

Ya, I don't see the need for that kind of heat. I've found you can't taste what your eating when it's that hot.

I agree. If you can't taste the rest of your meal what is the point. Spices are supposed to enhance flavours not prevent all detection of them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting CDNBear:

There is a point worth repeating. In my one and only attempt to make a hot sauce I finely chopped the peppers jalipinos and Hungarian hot peppers of some kind. I used my fingers and the edge of my knife to gather up the chopped peppers and put them in the pot. At some point I touched my lip, my eye, and the outside of my nose. All those places were red and sore for a couple days.....I learned the hard way.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is a point worth repeating. In my one and only attempt to make a hot sauce I finely chopped the peppers jalipinos and Hungarian hot peppers of some kind. I used my fingers and the edge of my knife to gather up the chopped peppers and put them in the pot. At some point I touched my lip, my eye, and the outside of my nose. All those places were red and sore for a couple days.....I learned the hard way.
I touched somewhere, a little more sensitive.

It really drove the point home, lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I touched somewhere, a little more sensitive.

It really drove the point home, lol.

Bear, I was unsure where to go on this topic. "driving home the point" suggests all
sorts of things that could get me in trouble. On the positive side, I took your advice
and was very careful what I touched with anything.....:roll::smile:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the small can (don't recall the brand) are freaking amazing on burger-type foods

30,000 is nothing on the scoville scale, this summer I hope to be growing several superhots I was lucky enough to get seeds fro, including the 'Butch T' Trinidad Scorpion, which is a shade beyond 30,00 if you care to look it up :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of my main complaints about Tobasco Chipotle sauce is the crappy little two ounce bottle for just under 5 dollars. Save on Foods' own brand, "Western Family"has a six ounce bottle for about 2 dollars and the flavour is so close I can't tell the difference.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I use chipotle in tons of dishes. I bought a small jar of chipotle from Epicure spices about five years ago and it's so strong and vibrant that I still haven't even used up the jar despite liberally spicing aolis, sauces, chilis, marinades, etc. Far cheaper and less frustrating than making your own. (sorry all you smoker aficionados)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I too like chipotle sauce.. I've never tried making it myself, but am interested in trying.... On that note, I'd imagine that the amount of time and effort would be tough to justify when the retail cost is so low.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I use chipotle in tons of dishes. I bought a small jar of chipotle from Epicure spices about five years ago and it's so strong and vibrant that I still haven't even used up the jar despite liberally spicing aolis, sauces, chilis, marinades, etc. Far cheaper and less frustrating than making your own. (sorry all you smoker aficionados)

Karrie....Do you ever use Tobasco sauce? Normally, with us, a small bottle of Tobasco might last a few years. We've gone through two bottles of Chipotle in about three weeks since my wife came back from her trip to San Diego.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie....Do you ever use Tobasco sauce? Normally, with us, a small bottle of Tobasco might last a few years. We've gone through two bottles of Chipotle in about three weeks since my wife came back from her trip to San Diego.

I keep tabasco in the house yes. I usually go through a bottle every six months or so. And that's not taking into account how much Franks we go through. :)