Shortribs, your favourite recipe.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Looking for a "tried and true" recipe for beef shortribs. I haven't cooked shortribs in twenty years or more.
The Superstore had them on at a great price last week. I have four shortribs weighing just over two pounds.
Should be enough to feed the two of us.
Thank you for your help...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is the best looking recipe I have found:

• 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 medium onion, cut into rings
  • 3 pounds beef short ribs

Directions

1. In a large pan over medium-high heat, stir in tomato sauce, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in parsley, thyme, bay leaves, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add onions and short ribs, and stir together until the mixture comes to a boil.
  2. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer; stirring occasionally and skimming fat from surface, until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Try doing this #juan.

Steam the rib racks in a roasting pan on low(ish) heat for an hour or so - the ribs will cook, but you don't want dry heat and you will also be finishing them off on a BBQ.

Make sure that the ribs aren't in the water (so they don't boil) and do your best to seal the top of the pan on (tin foil)... I generally use a roasting pan with lid and wrap some foil around the seal.

You'll have to use a cake-style rack (jerry-rig something) so they aren't in the water.

For the water component; add in lemon juice and crushed garlic.

Give that an hour or so to steam.

From there, throw on whatever concoction you like and finish them on the BBQ.

BTW - if you can, remove the membrane that it on the underside of the ribs - it'll make eating them a lot easier.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have a rack from another pan that will keep the ribs about an inch and a half from the bottom of the pan so
steaming the ribs shouldn't be a problem. I'll give it a shot using the sauce mixture I brought. The ribs are steaming right now.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have a rack from another pan that will keep the ribs about an inch and a half from the bottom of the pan so
steaming the ribs shouldn't be a problem. I'll give it a shot using the sauce mixture I brought. The ribs are steaming right now.
I steamed them for 2 hours and then used the sauce from the recipe I found yesterday. I gave them a hour simmering with the sauce.
They turned out marvelous, The bones pretty much fell out during the steaming. All in all the ribs were a success. Thanks guys.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This topic kind of got led away from short ribs to Spare ribs....two different things. Short ribs look like this: They can be browned and simmered for a great, meaty, stew. The rib bones will just fall right out. Short ribs are beef while spare ribs are pork

#2Re: Shortribs, your favourite recipe.

Jan 19th, 2012

This is the best looking recipe I have found:

• 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 medium onion, cut into rings
  • 3 pounds beef short ribs

Directions

1. In a large pan over medium-high heat, stir in tomato sauce, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in parsley, thyme, bay leaves, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add onions and short ribs, and stir together until the mixture comes to a boil.
  2. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer; stirring occasionally and skimming fat from surface, until meat is tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The mustard sounds like a great addition... Let me know how it works out

Mustard work great with ribs.

This is one I use.
¼ tsp salt and pepper
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp garlic –fresh is better or minced
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup applesauce
½ cup brown sugar –or honey- better but more expensive
¼ cup ketchup
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 lbs pork ribs
You can also add a variety of other spices as it all depends on your taste. Some spices that you can add are, sesame seed oil, dry or wet mustard, ginger, if you like it hot sprinkle with some cayenne pepper when cooking.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I steamed them for 2 hours and then used the sauce from the recipe I found yesterday. I gave them a hour simmering with the sauce.
They turned out marvelous, The bones pretty much fell out during the steaming. All in all the ribs were a success. Thanks guys.

Short ribs

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Short ribs
Add a good tasting red wine to any recipe for short ribs and you will be glad you did.

My Mother made them for me when ever I came over.

She is passed now and , damn if I can find her recipe .

She did it all by memory I guess and you brough back a million memories for me #juan. Thank you kindly. :)

But she always added a bit of Valapocella or Masi red wine to the pot.

Add a good tasting red wine to any recipe for short ribs and you will be glad you did.

My Mother made them for me when ever I came over.

She is passed now and , damn if I can find her recipe .

She did it all by memory I guess and you brough back a million memories for me #juan. Thank you kindly. :)

But she always added a bit of Valapocella or Masi red wine to the pot.

oooops almost forgot. Ketchup hienz ketchup ;)