Your favourite cookbook....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Any cook will use a recipe at some point. We got the Pillsbury cookbook as a wedding present forty odd years ago. About ten years later
I bought the St. Louis cookbook on the recommendation of a friend. These two are the only cookbooks I ever use and they are almost worn out.
Does anyone have a favourite cookbook?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was married in l958, and my mother passed on 'woman's home companion cook book', which I used religiously,
(hmmm, oh well,) for many many years, and I still have it. copyright l946.

since then, about 20 years ago I bought 'the natural gourmet' cookbook, amd also 'laurel's kitchen', both
natural methods, which have wonderful recipes, very down home cooking, but with a very healthy style,
and I love both of them, and have since discontinued using my original one.

I recently bought 'lidia's italy', as I have watched her cook on TV many times,
in italy, and her recipes are wonderful, so I take ideas out of that book, as
many of the recipes are too 'deep', and contain ingredients I don't use, so I
upgrade my own recipes from many things she does.
If you get a chance to see her cook on TV, don't pass it up, great food, and she
is so 'real italian', reminds me of many of my husbands relatives, who are also
great 'italian' cooks.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Is that the one that reccomends using Bebop-A-Rebop Frozen Rhubarb Pie Filling?

nope,bebop-a-rebop came much later, lol. lol

lets see, when that book was purchased, it would have been 'the andrew sisters', 'frank sinatra', etc.,
and I was a little girl.

The book was passed down to me, not new when it was given to me.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like the JELL-O Cookbook.

I like the cappuccino cups.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was married in l958, and my mother passed on 'woman's home companion cook book', which I used religiously,
(hmmm, oh well,) for many many years, and I still have it. copyright l946.

since then, about 20 years ago I bought 'the natural gourmet' cookbook, amd also 'laurel's kitchen', both
natural methods, which have wonderful recipes, very down home cooking, but with a very healthy style,
and I love both of them, and have since discontinued using my original one.

I recently bought 'lidia's italy', as I have watched her cook on TV many times,
in italy, and her recipes are wonderful, so I take ideas out of that book, as
many of the recipes are too 'deep', and contain ingredients I don't use, so I
upgrade my own recipes from many things she does.
If you get a chance to see her cook on TV, don't pass it up, great food, and she
is so 'real italian', reminds me of many of my husbands relatives, who are also
great 'italian' cooks.

You must have been fairly young when you were married. I got married in 1966 and I think you and I are about the same age.

Anyway, I ran a consulting business out of my house for a few years and it seemed only reasonable that I should start dinner since I was home and that led to me doing a lot of the cooking.........later..... most of the cooking.
While I was working at home I used to turn on Julia Child's program most days as well as Emeral Lagassi..(sp)

Seems to me my mom had the "Women's Home Companion" cookbook. I know she got the magazine. My mom was a natural cook.
who rarely used a cookbook.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You must have been fairly young when you were married. I got married in 1966 and I think you and I are about the same age.

Anyway, I ran a consulting business out of my house for a few years and it seemed only reasonable that I should start dinner since I was home and that led to me doing a lot of the cooking.........later..... most of the cooking.
While I was working at home I used to turn on Julia Child's program most days as well as Emeral Lagassi..(sp)

Seems to me my mom had the "Women's Home Companion" cookbook. I know she got the magazine. My mom was a natural cook.
who rarely used a cookbook.

I was married september 27th l958, 19 years old.

I mostly use cookbooks for reference concerning how much of something to use, or what ingredients to use
for whatever I am making, just for help, not usually for total recipe.

For a long time I would follow a recipe right down to the 1/8th of a tsp of anything, and did
everything exactly how they explained, and wouldn't adventure out into my own 'thinking' at all, took
me a long time to realize I had some good ideas as well.
Now it is mostly my own ideas, and the cook book is just reference.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I rarely, if ever, follow an actual recipe. My kitchen is full of cookbooks, most of them handed down, but the most I'll ever do is look up something on the web to get a general idea of ingredients and measurements, then I wing it. You rarely get the exact same meal twice at my house, but I figure I have more hits than misses since everyone seems to come back over and over again.

This is my favourite link, all contributions from users. Some very interesting stuff and it's quite a huge archive.

RecipeSource: Your Source for Recipes on the Internet

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The one I got from my mother who had it ever since I can remember in the 50's...

The five rose "A guide to good cooking" and while it was still in good condition, in '98 I scanned it all page by page in PDF format, and now will transform it in Epub format to put in my wife's ereader, which will make it easier than printing a pdf page on the PC when she wants a recipe.

It will be passed on to my daughter.....

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
My favorites are the cook books that are put together for fund raisers, used by church groups or schools. You usually have all the ingredients in the cupboard. Tried and true.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My favorites are the cook books that are put together for fund raisers, used by church groups or schools. You usually have all the ingredients in the cupboard. Tried and true.

Yeah, any cookbook that is a collection of people's favourite recipes is going to be a winner. The St. Louis cookbook mentioned earlier
is exactly that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, any cookbook that is a collection of people's favourite recipes is going to be a winner. The St. Louis cookbook mentioned earlier
is exactly that.

Cook books are becoming obsolete, I can find any recipe I'm capable of concocting on line. :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have some of my mothers' recipes, some from my mother in law, some that i've collected from magazines, some from on-line, and a large collection of cookbooks.

I definitely don't have a single favorite, but our go-to for general day-day stuff is Fannie Farmer.