Thousands march in Mexico to end the war on drugs that has recently killed 40,000

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Mexico's failed war against the drug gangs

Mexicans are calling for an end to the battle against organised crime that has cost 40,000 lives

On Sunday thousands of Mexicans marched in the capital, Mexico City, to demand an end to the "war on drug trafficking" launched by President Felipe Calderón. They view it is an absurd war that has cost 40,000 lives. Similar protests were held across the country.

The massive mobilisation was called by the poet Javier Sicilia. In March, his son was brutally murdered along with five others in Cuernavaca. Apart from being a great writer who has received a number of literary prizes, Sicilia is a Christian with a commitment to popular causes and a follower of Ivan Illich, the controversial Austrian thinker who lived in Mexico for many years. Sicilia has no links to political parties, and has gathered around him a great many people who are unhappy with the government and with its failed war against organised crime.

Calderón took office as president in December 2006, after a controversial election beset by allegations of fraud. Seeking a legitimacy that the polls did not give him, he took the military out of the barracks and into politics.

The outcome has been disastrous. Tens of thousands of people have been murdered. Many of them were unarmed, and had not picked a fight. They were not killed as part of the all-out war between rival drug cartels or during clashes between the military and/or the police and organised crime gangs. Their deaths were crimes committed in a country where vast areas are under a non-declared state of siege, patrolled day and night by thousands of police and military.

Human rights have never been respected in Mexico – but since the war on drug trafficking began, rights violations have dramatically increased. Scores of civilians have been shot dead in their cars at military checkpoints. In many parts of the country there are severe restrictions on press freedom.

The March for Peace With Justice and Dignity that culminated in the capital made demands on the authorities and on the criminal gangs to put an end to the violence. The protesters think that organised crime has infiltrated the government and that there is now a "co‑opted state" – a "rotten state". The war on drug trafficking "is not supported" by the people, according to the Catholic bishop Raúl Vera. The protests are supported by the Catholic church. "We Mexicans must shout a categorical 'stop!'," said the Mexican Episcopate Council.

Calderón's government has reacted negatively to the protests. The public security minister, Genaro García Luna, said it was "unthinkable" that the fight against the cartels might be wrong. Calderón boasted that he had "the law, reason and force" on his side.

Sicilia's initiative converges with other movements: the Walks Against Death in Ciudad Juárez – protests staged by parents of the children who died in a fire at the ABC nursery, which was caused by the authorities' negligence; the No More Blood campaign, promoted by several cartoonists; the actions by the followers of Benjamín LeBaron – a charismatic figure of the Mormon community who was kidnapped and killed in Chihuahua; and the works undertaken by the priest Alejandro Solalinde in favour of undocumented migrants.

A sorrowful Sicilia summed up in one phrase the feeling of many Mexicans: "Estamos hasta la madre!" (We are all fed up). To express this sense of weariness, the sound of the marches was the furious silence of the participants. "He who keeps silent is ungovernable," Ivan Illich said. Therein rests the force of the demonstration.

Mexico's failed war against the drug gangs | Luis Hernández Navarro | Comment is free | The Guardian

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Brilliant. Who are you calling stooges?
The stooges are people who claim to want a deal with narcos-unwittingly or not they are stooges of criminal vermin.

Since you know SFA about Mexico/it's politics/don't speak the language I've given you the Coles Notes version of events-anymore detail and your tiny head would burst.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The stooges are people who claim to want a deal with narcos-unwittingly or not they are stooges of criminal vermin.

Since you know SFA about Mexico/it's politics/don't speak the language I've given you the Coles Notes version of events-anymore detail and your tiny head would burst.
Aren't you just a friendly little guy. You have no idea about where I've been, the languages I speak or what I know about Mexico, but that's OK, it is your right to be a jerk.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

So the stooges are the cops and Americans who provide the guns to the narcos.

That's what I thought as well.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
So the stooges are the cops and Americans who provide the guns to the narcos.That's what I thought as well.
The stooges are people who have bribery and corruption as a way of life and then complain when the country is a mess/badly needs cleaning up.

This is to be expected in a place where education isn't mandatory-people honestly know no better.

Any of you ever been to Monterey-that shining commercial capitol in northern Mexico?

I though not.

Anyway it's quite Americansed-the Sam's Clubs, the Costcos, the Walmarts, $15 to park your car just like Canada.

However even there the rot has surfaced and are residents have found themselves cowering in their cars as gun battles rage on city freeways and byways-you'd think the police and the military would have handle on the problems in a place so well appointed.

Ask a Mexican and he'll join his thumb and index finger to make a circle-he means a coin-city and state institutions are rotten to the core literally everyone is on the take always has been and now that the Federal Govt has started to move against the revenue stream from drug trafficking all bets are off.

Also-40,000 payasos (clowns) marching amounts to SFA in a country of 140 million.

Seriously, has Bill ever gotten anything right on this board?
Seriously-I have travelled/lived and worked in Mexico on and off for over 25 years-I also have a working knowledge of the Spanish language.

This first hand knowledge makes me unpopular with the weak minded keyboard pounding minions of mediocrity that infest cyberspace-the nattering nabobs of nada prefer each other's bathwater to real world experience.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So what you're saying is that this drug war is a waste of time then.

I can see that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Anybody who looks down their nose at anybody else is covering up an inferiority complex. Ask any shrink. My condolences Bill. Just know that with the right medication, you too can learn to like yourself.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Anybody who looks down their nose at anybody else is covering up an inferiority complex. Ask any shrink. My condolences Bill. Just know that with the right medication, you too can learn to like yourself.

Cliffy, does your theory apply to atheists, who look down their noses at people of faith, consider them mouth-breathers, troglodytes and rednecks?

Just asking.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, does your theory apply to atheists, who look down their noses at people of faith, consider them mouth-breathers, troglodytes and rednecks?

Just asking.
It applies to everybody. And I am aware that you think I am an atheist but you are wrong.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
It applies to everybody. And I am aware that you think I am an atheist but you are wrong.

Let's not get hung up on semantics, Cliffy. You may not be an atheist (your innumerable post, otherwise could fool everybody), but you are definitely, virulently and almost hatefully anti-religion. I must admit, though, that either for political correctness, or fear of a fatwah or just for the numbers that you can offend and aggravate, you choose to be more anti-Christian than - Allah/God forbid - anti-Muslim.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
And like all good Christians, YJ, I'm sure you can forgive Cliffy and let this one go... whatever it was that he did wrong in this thread.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
And like all good Christians, YJ, I'm sure you can forgive Cliffy and let this one go... whatever it was that he did wrong in this thread.

Hard to say who is more amused by you butting your nose where it does not belong, Cliffy or me.

As for me, I forgive both you and Cliffy, albeit for different reasons.

Nabobs of nada? Sheesh no reason to get personal fu ck face. lol

Please don't be so hard on mentalfloss!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Hard to say who is more amused by you butting your nose where it does not belong, Cliffy or me.

As for me, I forgive both you and Cliffy, albeit for different reasons.

Good.

And I would hope you can uphold your values such that a non-christian does not have to remind you again.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
So what you're saying is that this drug war is a waste of time then.I can see that.
I'm saying a lot more innocents and thousands more drug trade minions will die before things settle down-in terms of Mexico they need a new revolucion even bigger than the last one and there's some doubt that can happen to date the will is lack-see 40,000 stooges for details.

Tell us about how the drug trade has warped society in the Kookenays Cliffy boy!

Maybe your blazing insight and staggering erudition could actually add something to this thread.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm saying a lot more innocents and thousands more drug trade minions will die before things settle down-in terms of Mexico they need a new revolucion even bigger than the last one and there's some doubt that can happen to date the will is lack-see 40,000 stooges for details.

Of course more will die.

But what's the solution?