Fears grow over "frail" Margaret Thatcher

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fears are growing over the concern of Margaret Thatcher's health after she has made no public appearances for nearly two months.

Baroness Thatcher, 85, who was Prime Minister between 1979 and 1990, as well as being Britain's first woman PM, was invited to the Royal Wedding but had to turn down the invitation over her health.

The next event in her diary is the unveiling of a statue to her ally and close friend, former US President Ronald Reagan, in London on July 4, but there are fears that she could also miss that.

Thatcher spent two weeks in hospital in November, said to be suffering from a ‘flu bug’. In fact, she had polymyalgia rheumatica, a syndrome which causes muscle inflammation in the neck and shoulders and was in severe pain for several months.

It's also been revealed that Thatcher, who many believe to be Britain's best peacetime Prime Minister of the 20th Century, is to get a State Funeral upon her death. Despite the fact that the Queen disliked Thatcher immensely when Thatcher was in power, Elizabeth II has given her blessing to the funeral arrangements in recognition of Thatcher's reversal of Britain's decline after the War took its toll.

It will take place at St Paul's Cathedral in London and she will be the first British PM to have a State Funeral since Churchill in 1965.

State funerals in Britain are usually reserved for monarchs, but the reigning monarch can, if he or she wishes, order that a state funeral be awarded to national heroes, such as Nelson and Churchill.

Four great Britons were given State funerals in the 19th Century: Nelson, Wellington, Gladstone and Palmerston.

Fears grow over 'frail' Baroness Thatcher after no public appearance for nearly two months

By Simon Walters
8th May 2011
Daily Mail

Troubled time: Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher is in severe pain, according to close friends

Friends of Margaret Thatcher last night voiced their concern over the ex-Prime Minister’s growing frailty.

Baroness Thatcher turned down an invitation to the Royal Wedding because of her health and has made no public appearances for nearly two months.

The next event in her diary is the unveiling of a statue to her ally and close friend, former US President Ronald Reagan, in London on July 4.

But there are fears that she could also miss that. She suffers increasingly from memory loss after a number of strokes in recent years.

Lady Thatcher, 85, spent two weeks in hospital in November, said to be suffering from a ‘flu bug’. In fact, The Mail on Sunday can disclose that she had polymyalgia rheumatica, a syndrome which causes muscle inflammation in the neck and shoulders.

Friends say she was in severe pain for months and has only just fully recovered from it.

The Mail on Sunday has also learned that the Government will meet the full cost of a State funeral for Baroness Thatcher.

It will take place at St Paul’s Cathedral, at Lady Thatcher’s request, though it has not yet been decided if she will lie in state in Westminster Hall.

She will be the first British Prime Minister since Sir Winston Churchill in 1965 to be afforded such an honour. He was the only former Premier to have a State funeral in the last century.

There were four non-Royal State funerals in the 19th Century – Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington and two former Prime Ministers, Lord Palmerston and William Gladstone.

Arrangements for the funeral are being led by Sir Malcolm Ross, the Queen’s former Master of the Royal Household, who has managed every Royal funeral since 1997.

The Queen has given her blessing to the funeral arrangements in recognition of the way Lady Thatcher reversed the UK’s post-Second World War decline, being Britain’s first woman Prime Minister, winning three Elections from 1979 to 1990 – and the Falklands War.

State funerals are reserved for monarchs but may, by order of the reigning monarch, be granted to other national heroes, such as Lord Nelson.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I will have a hard time finding a tear to shed when she is gone, I think I detested her the
most of any politician with the exception of Ronald Reagan. These two were worse
than even Gilligan(W).

peterowan

May 8, 2011
'who many believe to be Britain's best peacetime Prime Minister of the 20th Century' what utter garbage! 'Thatcher's reversal of Britain's decline' what?!!!! she presided over the total destruction of public housing, the dismantling of working peoples' right to organise, the beginning of the privatisation of the best public health system in the world (shall I go on?)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I couldn't agree more she set Britain back fifty years. There are very few people
I cannot find a good word for at the end, but she is one of them. Not only did she
set the future of working people back in Britain, she lowered herself even further
by befriending that murdering dictator, Augusto Pinochet from Chile. This guy was
every bit as bad as Franco in Spain.
I have no respect for her as a leader nor as a human being. Everyone is entitled to
their opinion that is true, but I make no apologies for having no sympathy or even
empathy for this woman she had none for working people.
As for Ronald Reagan I mentioned earlier, he was a menace to America as he is
the largest contributor to the demise of the that country. Yes Clinton is partly to
blame and that nit whit Bush finished them off, but Reagan sold out the country.
He was a second rate actor with a big smile and an empty head that people blindly
followed. Reagan and Thatcher are the two biggest reasons we are in the trouble
we are in, in the western world. I do have some empathy though for Reagan, he
was at the beginning of Alzheimer's, while Thatcher suffered from the meanest heart
God ever created.