Kate Middleton joins Queen for Royal family pre-Christmas lunch

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Kate Middleton yesterday joined the Queen for the Royal family's pre-Christmas dinner.

The invitation to the dinner is a further sign of how she is now well and truly a member of the Royal establishment.

Kate will become a princess, and the newest member of the Royal family, when she marries Prince William on Friday 29th April at Westminster Abbey in London with great British pomp and ceremony which will be beamed live across the world. She will also one day become Queen Catherine when her husband becomes King William V.

Kate, who will now start being called by her real name of Catherine, went to the dinner with her fiance, Prince William, and her soon-to-be brother-in-law Prince Harry.

Prince Harry later flew over 500 miles to attend an event in Berlin in which he laid a wreath to honour the 136 people who were killed trying to cross the Berlin Wall from East to West Germany between 1961 and 1989.

Harry told German newspaper Bild that he is "enormously pleased" at the upcoming wedding and praised Catherine as the "sister I always wished for."

Harry is to be presented with a Golden Heart on live television during Ein Herz fur Kinder (A Heart for Children), Germany's largest television fundraising gala, for his services to charity. In April 2006, Prince Harry set up the charity Sentebale (meaning "forget me not") in the tiny southern African kingdom of Lesotho to help the country's disadvantaged and impoverished children and young people.

Also, on Saturday night Prince William and his bride-to-be made their first public appearance since the announcement of their engagement on 16th November. The couple went to a cancer charity fundraising event in Fakenham, Norfolk.

They received some applause as they walked past well-wishers into the Thursford Christmas Spectacular, where William was the guest of honour.

"She looked absolutely beautiful," said Sophie Pinsent, who was dressed as an elf. "She was really lovely and they looked so happy together, so it was really nice. I thought it was so exciting."

The Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, today travelled by passenger train from London to King's Lynn, Norfolk. The Queen was spotted at King's Lynn station getting off the train wrapped up in a headscarf to protect her from the bitter cold.

The Queen and her husband traditionally spend Christmas at their Sandringham estate in Norfolk. Today they attended a church service at St Mary Magdalene church at Sandringham. More than a dozen police officers kept an eye on the many well-wishers who had gathered to watch the Queen and Prince Philip arrive at the church.

It's also the Royal family's tradition to attend that church on Christmas Day itself, meaning that every Christmas Day the news channels show live pictures of the Royals strolling to the church and being greeted by well-wishers.

Kate Middleton joins Queen for Royal family pre-Christmas lunch

By Daily Mail Reporter
19th December 2010
Daily Mail

Kate Middleton joined the Queen for a pre-Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace yesterday.

The 28-year-old, who will marry Prince William next April, mingled confidently with around 50 members of the extended family.

Her invitation to the traditional event is a further sign that now she is well and truly part of the Royal establishment.

Family knees-up: Kate Middleton, William and Harry on their way to Buckingham Palace yesterday

Kate was accompanied by her fiance and his brother Harry, who yesterday praised her as the 'sister I always wished for'.

She appeared unfazed at the prospect of the gathering, beaming broadly on the way into the Palace in a car with the two Princes.

Harry, 26, said yesterday that he was 'enormously pleased' about William's engagement to Kate, adding that she was a welcome addition to the Royal Family.

The couple announced their engagement last month after an eight-year courtship, and will marry in Westminster Abbey on April 29 next year.

Sisterly love: Prince Harry, left with Kate Middleton and Prince William, watching an England rugby match together in 2007. Harry has praised the royal bride-to-be and said he is 'enormously pleased' with the engagement

Prince Harry made his comments during an interview with the German newspaper Bild, ahead of his visit to Berlin tomorrow to receive an award recognising his charity work.

The royal will be presented with a Golden Heart on live television during Ein Herz fur Kinder (A Heart for Children), Germany's largest television fundraising gala.

He said: 'I have known Kate for years and it's great that she is now becoming part of the family. I am enormously pleased. I always wished for a sister and now I have one.'

The prince also spoke about the influence his mother Diana, Princess of Wales and father, the Prince of Wales, have had on his charity work.

Harry told the newspaper: 'I hope that my mother would be proud of me.'

Royal couple: William and Kate in their formal engagement portrait. They will marry in Westminster Abbey on April 29 next year

Wrapped up: The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrive at King's Lynn train station in Norfolk today for the start of their Christmas holiday at Sandringham

The Queen and her husband traditionally spend the Christmas period at their Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

He added: 'I always think of my mother in everything I do. It is correct that my brother and I often ask ourselves what our mother would have done in this situation. That helps us again and again.

'But I also learned enormously from my father, who has been engaged with numerous charities for decades.

'My mother was to me, like my brother, a role model. And also to many people worldwide. I believe that people took to her so warmly because she possessed the ability to take away their embarrassment in whatever situation she met them in. She was immediately sympathetic.

'Exactly like her, I know that I enjoy a privileged position as a member of the royal family and I must use what was given to me to try to make a difference in important topics.'

Prince William and Kate Middleton attending a cancer charity fundraising event in Fakenham, Norfolk, on Saturday night, their first public appearance since the announcement of their engagement on 16th November.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: