Non-violent protestor gets Israeli style justice

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Our news doesn't cover non-violent resistance in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. This story by a small independent Egyptian news service is important and its not being covered by the Western MSM....

>>>>>>>

Abdallah Abu Rahmah was scheduled to be released from prison last Thursday, after having served the one-year prison term he was sentenced to. He remains in jail after the Military Court of Appeals ordered today to keep him behind bars regardless, pending a decision in the Military Prosecution’s appeal of the sentence.

Judge Lt Colonel Aharon Mishnayot, the head of the Military Court of Appeals, accepted the military prosecution’s petition today to extend the detention of Abdallah Abu Rahmah past the term he was sentenced to, which ended last Thursday. The decision comes after a dramatic hearing last Thursday, on the Military Prosecution’s last minute petition to extend Abu Rahmah’s remand, which took place on the date of his scheduled release. The decision contradicts the jurisprudence of the Israeli Supreme Court on the issue, instructing that a prisoner should only be kept under arrest after his term was over in the most extraordinary of cases.

Adv. Gaby Lasky, Abu Rahmah’s layer said: “The decision to keep Abdallah Abu Rahmah detained even after his sentence has ended is a mockery of the very concept of justice, but comes as no surprise. The military prosecution and courts are a well oiled machine of politically motivated unfair legal process.”

Last month, on October 11th, Abu Rahmah was sentenced to twelve months imprisonment for his prominent role in his village’s successful campaign against the construction of Israel’s Separation Barrier on its lands. Abu Rahmah was convicted freedom of speech charges, incitement and organizing illegal demonstrations, but was cleared of all charges connecting him with violence.

Abu Rahmah was declared a human rights defender by the European Union, and his conviction and sentence generated international outrage, and was denounced by human rights organizations and the international community alike, including EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton.

In the similar case of Adeeb Abu Rahmah – another Bil’in activist – the Military Court of Appeals has recently ordered the Bil’in organizer under remand despite the fact that he served his sentence in full. The Court of appeals eventually dramatically harshened the one-year sentence originally imposed on Adeeb Abu Rahmah by the first instance, increasing it by half to 18 months imprisonment.

Abu Rahmah, the coordinator of the Bil’in Popular Committee Against the Wall and Settlements, was arrested last year by soldiers who raided his home at the middle of the night and was subsequently indicted before an Israeli military court on unsubstantiated charges that included stone-throwing and arms possession. Abu Rahmah was cleared of both the stone-throwing and arms possession charges, but convicted of organizing illegal demonstrations and incitement.

An exemplary case of mal-use of the Israeli military legal system in the West Bank for the purpose of silencing legitimate political dissent, Abu Rahmah’s conviction was subject to harsh international criticism. The EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, expressed her deep concern “that the possible imprisonment of Mr Abu Rahma is intended to prevent him and other Palestinians from exercising their legitimate right to protest[...]“, after EU diplomats attended all hearings in Abu Rahmah’s case. Ashton’s statement was followed by one from the Spanish Parliament.

Renowned South African human right activist, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, called on Israel to overturn Abu Rahmah’s conviction on behalf of the Elders, a group of international public figures noted as elder statesmen, peace activists, and human rights advocates, brought together by Nelson Mandela. Members of the Elders, including Tutu, have met with Abu Rahmah on their visit to Bil’in prior to his arrest.
International human rights organization Amnesty International condemned Abu Rahmah’s conviction as an assault on the right to freedom of expression. Human Rights Watch denounced the conviction, pronouncing the whole process “an unfair trial.”

Israeli military court keeps activist jailed - Bikya Masr

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can can find out more about this non-violent protest which involves Palestinians, Jews, Israelis, Europeans, Americans, Canadians.... the world... here:

Friends of Freedom and Justice Bilin Official Website

and here:

bilin-village.org | Discover Bil'in

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Could you tell me what happens to Christians that Demonstrate against Hamas - Or Fatah member that Demonstrate against Hamas.

Please provide some impartial sources so they can be reviewed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Could you tell me what happens to Christians that Demonstrate against Hamas - Or Fatah member that Demonstrate against Hamas.

Sorry Goobs, but that is deflection. The subject is Israel, not Hamas. Just because someone somewhere in the world has a more violent policy does not excuse Israel, which is supposed to be a democratic country ruled by law. If they break their own laws or apply them willy nilly, then they are no better than any other dictatorship.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sorry Goobs, but that is deflection. The subject is Israel, not Hamas. Just because someone somewhere in the world has a more violent policy does not excuse Israel, which is supposed to be a democratic country ruled by law. If they break their own laws or apply them willy nilly, then they are no better than any other dictatorship.
No Cliffy - The subject is one poster always bringing Isreal up - Then we have see balance - It is not rejection but completely reasonable.

Try having a Gay Pride Parade in Gaza - You can count the dead after the parade is quickly put to a murderous halt.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No Cliffy - The subject is one poster always bringing Isreal up - Then we have see balance - It is not rejection but completely reasonable.

Try having a Gay Pride Parade in Gaza - You can count the dead after the parade is quickly put to a murderous halt.
We get hate propaganda about Muslim and Palistinians on a daily basis on the airwaves. I have been hearing this propaganda since the sixties. But mention Israel in a less than glowing light and suddenly you are a bigot and racist Joooo hater. Sorry Goobs, but I am sick of this unbalanced and prejudiced reporting. I think EAO is providing a service by bringing balance to the table.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Its also about non-violent protests.

IMO, these protests deserve consideration for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Consider their international component.... The protesters are Jews, Israelis, Americans, Europeans, Canadians, Australians... pretty much the world... as well as Palestinians.

This village could have resisted violently but instead they chose as a group follow the non-violent practices and beliefs of people like King and Gandhi and solicit everyone for help.

IMO, they have demonstrated courage, determination and persistence.
(Every week for 6 years now they've marched on the Worksite of Shame!)

follow the links:

I support non-violent efforts to end injustice and oppression. To win, these people need everyone to be aware and follow their conscience.

The wall will fall!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Its also about non-violent protests.

IMO, these protests deserve consideration for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Consider their international component.... The protesters are Jews, Israelis, Americans, Europeans, Canadians, Australians... pretty much the world... as well as Palestinians.

This village could have resisted violently but instead they chose as a group follow the non-violent practices and beliefs of people like King and Gandhi and solicit everyone for help.

IMO, they have demonstrated courage, determination and persistence.
(Every week for 6 years now they've marched on the Worksite of Shame!)

follow the links:

I support non-violent efforts to end injustice and oppression. To win, these people need everyone to be aware and follow their conscience.

The wall will fall!

!st off the Wall have been dramatically successfully in lowering suicide attacks - The attacks as you may recall took place on buses, market squares, heavily traveled ares - The reason - To inflict the most dean ad casualties as possible - Try and refute that one.

Nobel prize - Really - What about those in other countries that have given their lives to protect the poor or Indigenous populations - look to South America.

lastly - If people did follow their conscience, knowing what the aim of Hamas and Hezbollah is, the first thing that would disappear in Canada would be Anti Apartheid Week

The second would be mass protests of and Anti Semitic and supporter of Terror - Mr. and i use the term loosely Galloway.

Lastly - people would contribute funds so you could relocate to Gaza. I myself would give generously.
Ad I do mean Generously

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So, is the West Bank occupied???

If so, there is no "legitimate political dissent"

Meanwhile, Hezbollah murders hope in Lebanon, but EAO is still Jew baiting......

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I am praising the efforts Jews and Israelis.... as well as Muslims, Christians, Buddhists... Americans, Canadians, Europeans, Palestinians.... to fight oppression and injustice by non-violent means. It appears some people here are having a hard time seeing past their hate and prejudice to actually absorb and understand my point.

Nonviolence (ahimsa) is a philosophy and strategy for social change that rejects the use of violence. Thus, nonviolence is an alternative to passive acceptance of oppression or of armed struggle against it. Nonviolence practitioners use diverse methods in their campaigns for social change, including critical forms of education and persuasion, civil disobedience and nonviolent direct action, and targeted communication via mass media.
The purpose of my post is to raise awareness and initiate discussion on this specific non-violent aspect of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict which IMO is deliberately not getting Western MSM attention. I'm helping with the "targeted communication via the mass media" aspect of this effort. Posting an opinion here and spreading the word about this group's efforts would also contribute to their success.

The MSM has adopted the Israel narrative which portrays Palestinians as evil terrorists and Israelis as innocent victims. This story completely contradicts that narrative and the reason why the MSM deliberately ignores this story.

These people need more publicity. IMO, awarding these people the Nobel Peace prize would be a huge step toward solving this conflict non-violently. The media would no longer be able to ignore the non-violent effort to defeat oppression and injustice.

I'll respond to intelligent debate and thoughtful posts on this topic.

I won't respond to deliberate attempts to change the topic or insults.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Who gives a damn?

We're not talking about them and whatever anybody else does doesn't automatically justify these goons in doing what they're doing..... so because Hamas or Fatah might do one thing that might not be good, does that justify Israel or other nations to stoop to a level just slightly above what they do?

Funny, I thought we had principles...... I thought we were told Israel had principles and were like us, which is why we're supposed to defend every single thing they do, right or wrong.

Yet their government and their courts act like corrupted tyrants that break their own laws, rights and rules and act as though they only applied to white jewish people who agree with everything they do.

...... and they ridicule and punish those who don't.

It's as simple as that.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
We get hate propaganda about Muslim and Palistinians on a daily basis on the airwaves. I have been hearing this propaganda since the sixties. But mention Israel in a less than glowing light and suddenly you are a bigot and racist Joooo hater. Sorry Goobs, but I am sick of this unbalanced and prejudiced reporting. I think EAO is providing a service by bringing balance to the table.

Thank you for your high praise!

Who gives a damn?

We're not talking about them and whatever anybody else does doesn't automatically justify these goons in doing what they're doing..... so because Hamas or Fatah might do one thing that might not be good, does that justify Israel or other nations to stoop to a level just slightly above what they do?

Funny, I thought we had principles...... I thought we were told Israel had principles and were like us, which is why we're supposed to defend every single thing they do, right or wrong.

Yet their government and their courts act like corrupted tyrants that break their own laws, rights and rules and act as though they only applied to white jewish people who agree with everything they do.

It's as simple as that.

I would agree with you as far as the Israeli military courts are concerned (the one which imprisons non-violent protestors and their families, including children), but surprisingly the Israeli civilian court system has on occasion acted according to Israeli laws, and in some cases made decisions in favor of the people of Bi'lin.

Examples

January 2006 : Following a complaint filed by Bil’in and the unveiling of information on illegal procedures and means employed to take possession of lands belonging to Bil’in, the Israeli Supreme Court issued an order to stop the construction of housing units in Mattityahu-Est. The launch of an enquiry is also considered. State mulls criminal probe into illegal settlement construction
February 2006 : The Supreme Court orders to the State of Israel to justify why it refuses to alter the intended separation wall position in Bil’in.
High Court: State must explain why it won’t move separation fence in Bil’in

But in Bi'lin, the IDF and their military courts decide people's fates. Here is one Palestinian's perspective regarding the unjust arrest and detention of non-violent protester and organizer, Abdallah Abu Rahmah
Why Israel Imprisoned My Best Friend | CommonDreams.org

Meanwhile the non-violent protesters continue to pay a high price for their non-violent resistance. The IDF routinely abuses and imprisons non-violent protesters. Many non-violent protesters have paid with their lives.
bilin-village.org | Bassem Abu Rahme killed in Bil'in weekly protest

The price these protesters pay goes beyond injury and even death. Non-violent protesters know the IDF also targets their friends and family (including their children), for abuse and imprisonment.

Israeli forces raid Bil’in in the middle of the night to arrest the child of jailed activist leader

Israeli forces stormed the village of Bil’in in a night raid. Four soldiers raided the home of Adeeb Abu Rahma, one of the prominent organizers of the non-violent demonstrations against the Wall. Adeeb Abu Rahma has been imprisoned by Israel for the last 17 months. Tonight, Israeli forces arrested Mohammed Adeeb Abu Rahma, Adeeb’s son, who is under 16 years old. It is unknown where he was taken. Mohammed is Adeeb’s only son.

He was helping the family with their affairs while Adeeb remains unjustly detained by Israel. Seven daughters and Adeeb’s wife also live in the home that was raided. In this inhumane attack on the Abu Rahma house, Mohammed was beaten by the Israeli soldiers when he peacefully resisted arrest....

bilin-village.org | Israeli forces raid Bil?in in the middle of the night to arrest the child of jailed activist leader

That's just one of many Palestinian children held in Israeli prisons.

13/09/2009
Last Monday, residents of Bil’in, a centre of non-violent resistance in the West Bank, gathered outside Ofer Military Prison to protest the detention of villagers for participating in peaceful protests

For almost five years, the residents of Bil’in have been organizing weekly non-violent protests against the wall Israel is building which cuts them off from 60% of their land.

In these creative and peaceful demonstrations, villagers and international supporters walk together to the wall, where they are routinely met with tear gas, sound bombs, rubber-coated steel bullets and live ammunition from the Israeli army.

The Israeli government has been taking steps to crush the growing Palestinian nonviolent movement. Nineteen peaceful protesters have been killed in demonstrations against the wall.

In the last three months, the Israeli army has arrested 29 residents of Bil’in for participating in demonstrations, 12 of whom are children. The arrests are made during night raids, in which hundreds of Israeli soldiers enter the village, wearing combat paint and masks.

Twelve of those arrested in the last three months have been children. Photo: Palestine Monitor

A mother from Bil’in holds a photograph of her imprisoned son. Photo: Palestine Monitor

Many children in the village live in constant panic, having witnessed armed and masked Israeli soldiers breaking into their houses at night and arresting and beating their fathers and brothers. Photo: Palestine Monitor
bilin-village.org | Free Our Children Protest At Ofer Military Prison

I imagine if must be tough to be a non-violent protester in this struggle. Its bad enough that they beat and imprison you. But imagine how it must feel when the IDF targets your children. If your children resist they will be physically abused and beaten with potentially lethal consequences.... If your child survives the initial arrest and beatings, they can be abused for months in overcrowded prison cells filled with grown men.

BBC
Israeli troops 'ill-treat kids'

Israel arrested 9,000 Palestinians last year, 700 of them children

A former Israeli military commander has told the BBC that Palestinian youngsters are routinely ill-treated by Israeli soldiers while in custody

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israeli troops 'ill-treat kids'

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Who gives a damn?

It's as simple as that.

You certainly do not and that is fine with me - In my opinion EAO is so slanted against Isreal that if he posts a thread that is somehow pro Isreali - I would be suprised.