UN Report on DRC genocide 1998-2003

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Back in 2002-2003, when US leaders were priming us for war against Iraq with claims about Iraq's WMD stockpiles (false), links to the events of 9/11 (false) and genocide (false), a genocidal war was going on in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

27 August 2010 Last updated at 09:40 ET UN DR Congo 'genocide' draft report - key excerpts

Among the Hutus who fled to DR Congo in 1994 were many of the militiamen responsible for Rwanda's genocide

A UN report into massacres of Hutu civilians in DR Congo after the Rwanda's 1994 genocide has been leaked ahead of its official publication.

Experts say it is the first rigorous investigation - the researchers required two independent sources for each of the 600 incidents documented in their 545-page report - into alleged atrocities committed in eastern DR Congo between 1993 and 2003....

BBC News - UN DR Congo 'genocide' draft report - key excerpts
The world knew about this genocide at the time it was going on:

Amnesty International Report:

UNHCR | Refworld | Amnesty International Report 2003 - Congo

The Second Congo War:
Second Congo War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but this genocidal war never made the news because it would have distracted people from supporting the Bush administration's plans to start an unprovoked war with Iraq (war crime).

Bush's 2003 Ultimatum Speech on the eve of war:
Full text: Bush's speech | World news | guardian.co.uk

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
By "the world" I meant world leaders and the UN. I remember reading about the situation in the DRC during this genocidal war in reports by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and other HR organizations. See my AI link above and notice the date of that report... Some of these reports regarding the DRC's genocidal war were tabled at the UN and the issue was raised many times during 2000-2003, when the crisis was at its height. Many world leaders condemned the atrocities, but most did little to nothing about it. The main stream media reported very little about this atrocity as they were too busy at the time prepping the world for the 2003 Iraq invasion with pro-war propaganda.

One of my points I guess is that the MSM is not a a good source of information. It may convenient to watch cable news, but expect that it ignores anything which doesn't promote someone's agenda or affect ratings.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Back in 2002-2003, when US leaders were priming us for war against Iraq with claims about Iraq's WMD stockpiles (false),
Correct...

links to the events of 9/11 (false)
Correct...

and genocide (false),
Incorrect...

Al-Anfal Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Genocide

Article 2 of the 1949 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide defines Genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group". In December 2005 a court in The Hague ruled that the killing of thousands of Kurds in Iraq in the 1980s was indeed an act of genocide.[16] The Dutch court said it considered "legally and convincingly proven that the Kurdish population meets requirement under Genocide Conventions as an ethnic group. The court has no other conclusion than that these attacks were committed with the intent to destroy the Kurdish population of Iraq."
Why is it, you keep changing your interpretation of genocide?

Why is it over 100,000 (HRW stats) Kurds specifically targeted and slaughtered, over 4,000 (HRW stats) villages and towns destroyed, over 2,400 Mosques, 27 Churches, 1,200 schools, 250 hospitals, (all HRW stats) all destroyed by the Iraqi's isn't genocide, but 150,000+, which includes, Egyptian, Jordanian, British, French, Israeli, Syrian, Iraqi, Lebanese, and even Palestinian, is genocide committed by Israel?

Geezus, even when you try and pretend you're a "humanitarian" you fail miserably, and your true ideology comes screaming out loud and proud!

One of my points I guess is that the MSM is not a a good source of information.
Neither is Pallywood, but you buy that up like it was super stock.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Ok Bear, I'm a little confused here. WMD and links to 9/11 accusations are true?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
In 2003, " a genocidal war was going on in the Democratic Republic of Congo"

Leaked UN report accuses Rwanda of possible genocide in Congo | World news | The Guardian

Democratic Republic of Congo: Kisangani killings - victims need justice now - Amnesty International
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
PRESS RELEASE
AI Index: AFR 62/009/2002 (Public)
News Service No: 99
12 June 2002

Democratic Republic of Congo: Kisangani killings - victims need justice now

On the second anniversary of the killing in June 2000 of as many as 1,200 people in Kisangani, northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Amnesty International is seriously disturbed that the unlawful killings in mid-May 2002 of as many as 200 people in the same city may have been a direct consequence of the impunity enjoyed by the killers two years ago.

"We acknowledge the importance of condemning the killings, but the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and UN member states must go a step further and demand adherence to international human rights law by taking measures to ensure that the perpetrators and their leaders are brought to justice", Amnesty International said today.

The May 2002 abuses, including summary executions of civilians and combatants, rape and pillaging, are reported to have been carried out by members of the Rwandese Patriotic Army (RPA) and combatants loyal to the

Goma-based faction of the Rassemblement congolais pour la démocratie (RCD-Goma), Congolese Rally for Democracy.

Democratic Republic of Congo: Kisangani killings - victims need justice now - Amnesty International

Genocide including allegedly cannibalism

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/the-truth-behind-the-cannibals-of-congo-567654.html

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This is outrageous!

WARNING DETAILS ARE DISTURBING->
2 September 2010
Congo mass rape numbers rise to 240 - UN
FDLR rebels on a UN truck in eastern DR Congo as they are repatriated (December 2005) Rwanda's FDLR rebels have denied carrying out the mass rape

Some 240 women, girls and babies may have been raped after rebels recently seized a town in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the UN says.

Officials had previously said they had received reports of 150 rapes in and around the town of Luvungi.

The UN mission has been heavily criticised for not doing more to protect the local population as it had peacekeepers based nearby.

But it says it was only told of the rapes after the rebels had left....

BBC News - Congo mass rape numbers rise to 240 - UN
:roll:

UN troops had to know a rebel occupation would be bad news for the locals, but they can't be everywhere. The real problem is insufficient concern at an international level, even though this has been going on for decades and European powers have some responsibility for starting this endless cycle of violence...
Belgian Congo | Colonial Genocides | Genocide Studies Program | Yale University

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Soldiers raping babies? Hunting down Pygmies like they were bush-meat? While this was going on, the rabid right was frothing at the mouth about Iraq's non-existent WMD stockpiles, non-existent links to the events of 9/11 and Hussein's genocidal war crimes like they were ongoing rather than committed 20 years earlier when Iraq was a US allie.

The silence is deafening. Where is the outrage? If these events were going on in Iran, I'm sure they'd be more newsworthy as they would aid the right wing war agenda.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what makes this whole thread a non starter? The fact that you are using the DRC genocide as a vehicle to further your anti u.s. agenda.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Soldiers raping babies? Hunting down Pygmies like they were bush-meat? While this was going on, the rabid right was frothing at the mouth about Iraq's non-existent WMD stockpiles, non-existent links to the events of 9/11 and Hussein's genocidal war crimes like they were ongoing rather than committed 20 years earlier when Iraq was a US allie.

The silence is deafening. Where is the outrage? If these events were going on in Iran, I'm sure they'd be more newsworthy as they would aid the right wing war agenda.

And if they had gone into Congo and suppressed this outrage with the brutal force that would have required, you and those like you would be calling them murderers for that.

That is the simple truth.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Why didn't you make any noise about this at the time?... banging your grum about it almost a decade later is of little use.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Why didn't you make any noise about this at the time?... banging your grum about it almost a decade later is of little use.

Post #9 references an event in late August 2010. The rebels raped women, girls and babies, often as the rest of the family was held at gunpoint in the same room. Human beings probably continue to be hunted down like bushmeat.

And if they had gone into Congo and suppressed this outrage with the brutal force that would have required, you and those like you would be calling them murderers for that.

That is the simple truth.
Sure I would be against the US or any country going into the DRC guns ablazing and laying waste to everything that moves.

I support legitimate UN approved peacekeeping missions in cases like the DRC. All sides are tired of fighting. The simple presence of international forces prevents atrocities without violence. Selective deadly force can prevent additional violence or stop an atrocity. The mission would only be a success if it results in a significant net reduction in violent deaths and ends the cycle of violence.

BTW, the UN already has troops in the DRC, mostly from African countries, but their effort is too small.

what makes this whole thread a non starter? The fact that you are using the DRC genocide as a vehicle to further your anti u.s. agenda.

I was against the decision to invade Iraq, that's another topic. My point was to provide propaganda context. At the time, overwhelming MSM propaganda focused on non-existent threats and conspiracies, while a major atrocity was in plain sight and ignored... just like it is now.

Concern about an event is proportional to the level of supporting MSM propaganda, rather than the event's relative importance. The main stream media is not interested in informing us about current ongoing events where outrage, condemnation and action would make a difference. The DRC story certainly deserves closer scrutiny than some idiot threatening to burn a Quran or a religious based zoning variance.

Last edited: