The Iroquois Nationals team won't be attending the world championship in Manchester

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
NEW YORK – An American Indian lacrosse team will not be allowed entry into England for the world championship of the sport the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Iroquoishttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sp_ot/us_lacrosse_iroquois_passports#http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sp_ot/us_lacrosse_iroquois_passports# helped invent unless members accept U.S. or Canadian passports, the British government said Wednesday.
The Iroquois Nationals team won't be attending the world championship in Manchester unless the British government reverses its decision and allows them to use passports issued by the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Iroquois [COLOR=#366388 !important]Confederacy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], said Tonya Gonnella Frichner, a lawyer for the team.
"They're telling us: 'Go get U.S. passports or Canadian passports,'" Frichner said Wednesday shortly after getting the news. "It's pretty devastating."
The team's 23 players — who are all eligible for passports issued by those nations — say that accepting them would be a strike against their identity.

UK won't let Iroquois lacrosse team go to tourney - Yahoo! News

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
NEW YORK – An American Indian lacrosse team will not be allowed entry into England for the world championship of the sport the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Iroquoishttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sp_ot/us_lacrosse_iroquois_passports#http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_sp_ot/us_lacrosse_iroquois_passports# helped invent unless members accept U.S. or Canadian passports, the British government said Wednesday.
The Iroquois Nationals team won't be attending the world championship in Manchester unless the British government reverses its decision and allows them to use passports issued by the [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Iroquois [COLOR=#366388 !important]Confederacy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], said Tonya Gonnella Frichner, a lawyer for the team.
"They're telling us: 'Go get U.S. passports or Canadian passports,'" Frichner said Wednesday shortly after getting the news. "It's pretty devastating."
The team's 23 players — who are all eligible for passports issued by those nations — say that accepting them would be a strike against their identity.

UK won't let Iroquois lacrosse team go to tourney - Yahoo! News

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Actually, it's a NORTH AMERICAN team - and the team had no problem going to the tournament when it was held in Australia with their First Nations Passports. They aren't competing as Canadians or Americans - they're competing as Iroquois - maybe the UK are afraid? I mean these guys are highly ranked.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds almost silly. Is there a country called Iroquois?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Now wait a minute folks -- I read a long time ago where the Iroquois Confederation of New York sent a team to play back in England during the 1870s. They weren't USA citizens back then. Why was London willing to accept Haudenosaunee back then but not today?

The only thing I can think of is that England is afraid they're going to lose and don't have the sportsmanship to take on a tougher team. Don't know if it's true but they should allow the Iroquois to play. If not, then England should be boycotted.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The only thing I can think of is that England is afraid they're going to lose and don't have the sportsmanship to take on a tougher team. Don't know if it's true but they should allow the Iroquois to play. If not, then England should be boycotted.

riiiiiiiight.....or...... in todays over sensitive and paranoid society, they want everyone entering their country to hold a VALID, RECOGNISED Visa.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
But the point is the Haudenosaunee passport was always recognized due to treaty rights between Washington, DC and Native American nations. A Mohawk friend I had a long time ago used his to attend an Amerind convention in Bolivia (if my memory is correct). There was no problem back then. Never has been so far as I know.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
But the point is the Haudenosaunee passport was always recognized due to treaty rights between Washington, DC and Native American nations. A Mohawk friend I had a long time ago used his to attend an Amerind convention in Bolivia (if my memory is correct). There was no problem back then. Never has been so far as I know.

"back then" planes hadn't been flown into office buildings and bombs hadn't gone off in subways. If they want to compete, then they get properly recognised visa's. Simple.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I get your point but:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land

--- US Constitution Article VI, Clause 2

England, like the USA, recognizes the UN Declaration of Rights of Indegenous Peoples:

University of Minnesota Human Rights Library

Since Native American tribes (actually, Nations) have always been recognized as such under Treaties which are part of the Supreme Law of the Land, and England recognizes the UN's Declaration, it appears obligated to recognize those passports as they have done in the past. I believe that if a trial was held in a British court the decision would affirm what I wrote.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The British government's decision was announced hours after the U.S. cleared the team for travel on a one-time waiver at the behest of Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. U.S. authorities initially had refused to accept the passports issued by the Iroquois Confederacy, which lack new security features now required for border crossings because of post-Sept. 11 crackdowns on document fraud and illegal immigration.
Asked why the State Department had dropped its opposition, spokesman P.J. Crowley said: "There was flexibility there to grant this kind of one-time waiver given the unique circumstances of this particular trip."
U.S. Rep. Dan Maffei, D-N.Y., urged the British to reconsider their decision.

Read more: UK won't let Iroquois lacrosse team go to tourney - Wire - NewsObserver.com

UK won't let Iroquois lacrosse team go to tourney - Wire - NewsObserver.com

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Iroquois nation should recall their Ambassador.

That's funny you should say that, since the Haudenosaunee have a greater claim of sovereignty then your terrorist buddies, eh. Actually, it's stronger than that of Canada's. Not to mention that we don't go lobbing rockets into our neighbours yard to get what we want.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"back then" planes hadn't been flown into office buildings and bombs hadn't gone off in subways. If they want to compete, then they get properly recognised visa's. Simple.

gopher said:
-that's stupid! since when did they attack or terrorize anyone, idiot?? ~~ gopher

Where did I say they attacked anyone? I was pointing out the difference between then and now, and the reason for increased security. It's been acknowledged that the "visa's" that the Iroquois hand out do NOT have adequate security measures. In other words they would be easy to forge. why don't you grab a brain before spouting off your stupidity.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
on team 1040 today I listened to an interview with one of the players 'on that team', he said they
have had to forfeit one game, but there is still a possibility they will fly out today, and be there
to play tomorrow, but no guarantees, they were still waiting for 'word'.

They have been given clearance to travel many times in the past, but not this time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not as silly as you, the resident racist prick.

Nope, but there is the Six Nations Confederacy, and the Haudenosaunee, who live on sovereign land.

I understand that your racism prevents you from understanding, let alone accepting certain facts, so I'll make this brief as to not waste my own time trying to educate you any further, then to just correct you in front of strangers and embarrass you, yet again.

For 33 years that passport has been accepted around the world, the Six Nations territory is sovereign, as in never been ceded to the Crown, and our treaty indicates that we walk side by side on the same path.

You simply look at every "injun" like the ones in your own province. Your ignorant myopic and racist view, has been challenged and corrected time and time again. Yet here you are, still purposely ignorant, still purposely uneducated. Which makes it completely safe and correct to call you a bigot and a racist, because that is exactly what you are./quote

You call yourselves "nations" bear but that doesn't make it so. Native Canadians, to a large extent live with their hands in the pockets of the rest of Canada. A good number of them still seem to think they can make their living by hunting and trapping. Hunting and trapping can make a living for some but there are a million native Canadians and except for those who have left the res and are living independently the rest are costing the Dept of Indian and Northern Affairs something like 8 or 9 billion dollars a year which is paid by the rest of Canada. This is not racism. Check the numbers

You can call me names bear......It's what you are best at.

Indian and Northern Affairs Canada and Canadian Polar Commission 3 / 3

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This is retarded.

The governing body of the World Lacrosse Championship is the International Lacrosse Federation.

The Iroquois Confederacy is a full member, along with members such as Australia, Canada, England, the United States, New Zealand...in all.

The Iroquois National Lacrosse Organization is officially recognized in the sport.

This is pure politics, denying a strong team the chance to compete with other members OF THE SAME SPORTS FEDERATION.

It's horse $hit.