Has the Iraq war led to radiation poisoning among the population?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
YouTube - Iraqi Children Deformed by Depleted Uranim Shells and Chemical Weapons used by US

If so, what responsibility does the international community have?

Maybe a lawsuit:

YouTube - IRAQ TO SUE US and UK OVER DEPLETED URANIUM BOMBS

YouTube - Iraq War Crimes- Depleted Uranium 1 of 4

Incredible. The US is exposing even its own soldiers to this!

And if even US soldiers are not trained properly to decontaminate their equipment from such weapons, how do we know they're not dragging radioactive dust into Afghanistan? And if we have Canadian soldiers on exchange missions in the US military, how do we know they're not being exposed to this radioactive dust too?

YouTube - Hazards of Depleted Uranium Contamination Training DU Video

YouTube - Fallujah babies born with birth defects as a result of Depleted Uranium WMD contaminated dust.

YouTube - Deformed babies in Fallujah Iraq

YouTube - BBC Fallujah Birth Defects

YouTube - Soldiers get cancer in Iraq from depleted uranium

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Pretty horrible. These are war crimes.

What Saddam should have done is vacate the country, take all Iraqis with him so we could get OUR oil. THEY don't own it. Arabs would have moved to other Arab countries, no problem. Then none of this would have happened. Call it petrocide for progress.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
ohhh goody goody goody. Thread #52 about Iraq.

What Saddam should have done is vacate the country, take all Iraqis with him so we could get OUR oil. THEY don't own it. Arabs would have moved to other Arab countries, no problem. Then none of this would have happened. Call it petrocide for progress.
Should have? So Damn Insane did not care a whit about people. Hell's bells, he didn't even care about a lot of his own family. Can we say "psychopath"?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
ohhh goody goody goody. Thread #52 about Iraq.

Should have? So Damn Insane did not care a whit about people. Hell's bells, he didn't even care about a lot of his own family. Can we say "psychopath"?

Okay, full disclosure. An Ironic post.

Some people aren't sure about the whole story. They just support the prez and other evil dumb people. Saddam, while terrible, was at least an Iraqi attempt at an Iraqi political solution. Which is ultimately the only solution possible. He suppressed religion, gave women some rights, but kept murdering Iraqis. But then, some countries have no solution these days perhaps,

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bottom line...while tanks still crawl the earth...DU will be used at the outset of any and every tank battle until we find something better.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
No it isn't proof that there are NO cases of poisoning.........

It does indicate that there certainly is not a widespread problem.......

Widespread problem of what?

Radiation poisoning?

I see no proof of that in what you posted.

Bottom line...while tanks still crawl the earth...DU will be used at the outset of any and every tank battle until we find something better.

I have something better.

Stay home.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Seems to be more than tank vs tank rounds.

Depleted Uranium is a relatively recent development in military weapons and technology. Depleted Uranium is one of the heaviest elements on earth giving it tremendous power when coupled with ammunition. Depleted Uranium rounds are usually of a higher caliber such as the 120mm rounds fired out of the Abrams Tank, although 30mm rounds are also made for engaging light armored vehicles. DU is even being used in sniper ammunition for long range applications. Depleted Uranium technology allows ammunition to be shot much further than conventional munitions, and delivers a much more devastating payload. Tanks equipped with depleted uranium shells can easily compromise conventional armor from 3-5 K/m out. Due to its extreme density, depleted uranium is being used in Tank armor, as well as some other military vehicle’s armor including aircraft.

The side effects of Depleted Uranium are being studied, but some research has shown signs of depleted uranium contributing to cancer rates in Iraq. After a DU shell is fired from a tank the radioactivity can spread for up to 190 miles in the wind. and has been found in water sources in Iraq.
Depleted Uranium Munitions - Rounds, Armor | 130mm | 30mm

The only tanks firing DU munitions are American tanks.
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=5146778547681767408#
I have something better.
Stay home.
I second that motion.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just thought of another scary thought. The US has already dumped more than 300 tons of DU all over Iraq. If I were an Iraqi who hated the US enough to be willing to risk my health and life to collect this stuff, I could get myself a Geiger counter, collect this stuff, and use it to build toys for children and give them to US military personnel as gifts, grind it into dust and mix it into food in restaurants that serve US military personnel, mix it into air fresheners to use in hotels frequented by US military personnel, mix it into water sources, build dirty bombs, etc. etc. etc.

This stuff would also be easy to sneak onto a plane too by the way.Take it from Iraq to Pakistan via Afghanistan, and from there sneak it into a plane bound for the US. On that flight, if you have a bag of DUst, go into the washroom and DUst it up. Sure it's suicidal and all the people involved in this would likely eventually die young from cancer. But if they hate the US enough, they'd be willing to do this.

Another alternative would be to store it somewhere, wait a few years until the US normalizes trade and cultural relations with Iraq, including tourism, and then strike. 20 years later, many Americans who'd traveled to Iraq would all be suffering from cancer or giving birth to deformed children. By the time the US figures out what's going on, likely thousands of Americans would have been affected already. And if the terrorists manage to sneak plenty of DU back into the US, they can then sneak it into food, water, toys, aerosols, you name it.

I think it would be wise to get this stuff under control, no?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The only tanks firing DU munitions are American tanks.

It is thought that between 17 and 20 countries have weapons incorporating depleted uranium in their arsenals. They include the U.S., the UK, France, Russia, China, Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Pakistan, Thailand, Iraq and Taiwan.[citation needed] DU ammunition is manufactured in 18 countries. Only the US and the UK have acknowledged using DU weapons.[28]

BADABING

I just thought of another scary thought. The US has already dumped more than 300 tons of DU all over Iraq. If I were an Iraqi who hated the US enough to be willing to risk my health and life to collect this stuff, I could get myself a Geiger counter, collect this stuff, and use it to build toys for children and give them to US military personnel as gifts, grind it into dust and mix it into food in restaurants that serve US military personnel, mix it into air fresheners to use in hotels frequented by US military personnel, mix it into water sources, build dirty bombs, etc. etc. etc.

This stuff would also be easy to sneak onto a plane too by the way.Take it from Iraq to Pakistan via Afghanistan, and from there sneak it into a plane bound for the US. On that flight, if you have a bag of DUst, go into the washroom and DUst it up. Sure it's suicidal and all the people involved in this would likely eventually die young from cancer. But if they hate the US enough, they'd be willing to do this.

Another alternative would be to store it somewhere, wait a few years until the US normalizes trade and cultural relations with Iraq, including tourism, and then strike. 20 years later, many Americans who'd traveled to Iraq would all be suffering from cancer or giving birth to deformed children. By the time the US figures out what's going on, likely thousands of Americans would have been affected already. And if the terrorists manage to sneak plenty of DU back into the US, they can then sneak it into food, water, toys, aerosols, you name it.

I think it would be wise to get this stuff under control, no?

And then! People from all 3rd World Nations can get asbestos and make asbestos toys, and sneak it into Canada and put it Canadian Maple Syrup... and pancake mix... and sneak on Air Canada and have antique parties with asbestos.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It is thought that between 17 and 20 countries have weapons incorporating depleted uranium in their arsenals. They include the U.S., the UK, France, Russia, China, Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Pakistan, Thailand, Iraq and Taiwan.[citation needed] DU ammunition is manufactured in 18 countries. Only the US and the UK have acknowledged using DU weapons.[28]

And then! People from all 3rd World Nations can get asbestos and make asbestos toys, and sneak it into Canada and put it Canadian Maple Syrup... and pancake mix... and sneak on Air Canada and have antique parties with asbestos.

Besides America and Israel who else from those 18 Nations is actively firing those types of shell into areas with lots of civilians?

I will bet Mr. Asbestos lobbied long and hard to find a way around the ban.

As it is the US might have it's own brand of cancer causing substances coming at you from the Gulf if the plant damage that is just starting to surface can be traced to Cortex 9500. If that was to effect an area that covered 10's of millions would they tell you or would they just give the 'all clear, all clear', and then claim "How were we to know it would be creating generation of mutated babies?"

I really hope it is something else but I don't think you should be 'blindly' following BP and the Gov. Think Obama would go for a swim, or any BP executive?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
its a touchy subject and the reality is until something better is found, there wont be any change. If were talking about clay huts with insurgents hiding in it, than i think tungsten shells are adequate. Tank on tank calls for DU

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Well said! It is very much the Iraqi's fault. The poor bloody Americans and Brits will probably get blamed for this. Oh the white man's burden is a terrible load sometimes. Well all that's over with now - stiff upper lip (or mutated growth) and all that - its just sunshine and happiness from here on out.

European History

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Besides America and Israel who else from those 18 Nations is actively firing those types of shell into areas with lots of civilians?

If you look at the conflicts in Chechnya and Georgia and the pictures of blown up tanks I would almost guarantee the Russians used their DU rounds.

Below are destroyed Georgian Tanks. The tanks are covered with reactive armor, that is the bunch of square box like material around the turret. Reactive armor will stop RPGs and conventional rounds, it won't stop DU Rounds. Observe the turrets off the chasis which is from the ammo exploding inside the tank. Something got into the interior of the tank. Notice Apartment buildings in the background.

I will bet Mr. Asbestos lobbied long and hard to find a way around the ban.

There is only a ban on using asbestos in many western nations including Canada. No ban on selling it to other nations though.

As it is the US might have it's own brand of cancer causing substances coming at you from the Gulf if the plant damage that is just starting to surface can be traced to Cortex 9500. If that was to effect an area that covered 10's of millions would they tell you or would they just give the 'all clear, all clear', and then claim "How were we to know it would be creating generation of mutated babies?"

I really hope it is something else but I don't think you should be 'blindly' following BP and the Gov. Think Obama would go for a swim, or any BP executive?

Not sure what spilled oil has to do with this.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If you look at the conflicts in Chechnya and Georgia and the pictures of blown up tanks I would almost guarantee the Russians used their DU rounds.
I don't doubt that they do use them, do they promote the dust as being benign to future generations also?

Below are destroyed Georgian Tanks. The tanks are covered with reactive armor, that is the bunch of square box like material around the turret. Reactive armor will stop RPGs and conventional rounds, it won't stop DU Rounds. Observe the turrets off the chasis which is from the ammo exploding inside the tank. Something got into the interior of the tank. Notice Apartment buildings in the background.
The apartment with the light-pole leaning up against it? Surely you are not not going to claim that from the kill-shot until today that place looks just the same.

There is only a ban on using asbestos in many western nations including Canada. No ban on selling it to other nations though.
That is sort of my point, we have all sorts of guidelines to protect ourselves but then we sell the same products we ban to others who either use it or they go without. If asbestos is used to strengthen cement that can also be accomplished with hemp fiber, we can grow that legally and is that offered as an alternative to India's poor and needy. No, that makes us two-faced in the most basic terms of what comes out of our mouths.

Not sure what spilled oil has to do with this.
It has to do with being told the truth, if Iraqis birth defects are blamed on something other than what many are promoting then they would also lie to their own citizens about the dangers of all the elements involved in the GOM. Would they sacrifice a few million of their own so the corporations can still shell out profits to their share-holders. From past court-cases that would be what is the normal route to follow. Love Canal being one such example, hiding the garbage left behind in Ecuador and Brazil by Texaco is another example. The poor and needy of America are just as disposable as they are in any of the 3 countries I have just named in this one post. Yet when Venezuela, Cuba or Iran take steps to put the needs of the poor and needy of their respective Nations above the interests of the multi-national corporations they are branded as a menace to the free-world.

That is how the oil-spill ties in.

The affected are given a piece of paper saying they will be protected yet when push comes to shove is is as useless as any Treaty we signed with the First Nations, in essence we support a Government that lies to achieve what it wants, The citizens of both Canada and the US have been lied to in the past (by the Gov) and you are foolish to think they wouldn't do it an endless amount of time if it supported the ones they serve, the already rich of the world.

Because we use oil?
No, you 'assume' you are being told about the list of the possible danger to long-term health issues. Look at all the bif environment court-cases, they all have a basis of an increase in cancer and birth defects compared to the surrounding population.