Nick Clegg vows to bring 'most significant programme of empowerment' since 1832

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg today pledged the boldest rolling back of the state in 180 years, promising to axe the communist Labour's Big Brother Britain as well as move to make sweeping political and electoral reforms.

Clegg, who is in charge of constitutional affairs, claimed his proposals are the 'most significant programme of empowerment' since the Great Reform Act of 1832, when Earl Grey was Prime Minister and the eccentric King William IV, who had a habit of spitting in public (Prime Minister David Cameron is his direct descendant), was on the Throne, which extended voting rights beyond the landed gentry. He said the coalition government will scrap the unpopular ID cards, limit the use of CCTV cameras and stop abuse of anti-terror laws.

The UK, which was once a beacon of democracy and civil liberties, has around 5 million CCTV cameras, about a FIFTH of the entire world total. Wandsworth, which is just a London borough, has 1,113 CCTV cameras which, incredibly, is more than the total number of cameras in use in the cities of Boston, San Francisco, Johannesburg and Dublin combined. The small town of Corby in Northamptonshire has 90 CCTV cameras, whereas San Francisco has 71. Clegg promised that the "Demservative" government will regulate CCTV use.

Another breach of civil liberties introduced by the Labour Government (which was full of former Marxists, Trotskyists and Stalinists) is the DNA database. This holds DNA collected at crime scenes and from samples taken from suspects in police stations. The database is used to quickly identify offenders, make earlier arrests and secure more convictions, but many innocent people are on the list. Britain's DNA database is the the largest in the world, with 5.2% of the people on it, compared to just 0.5% in the US. Clegg promises that innocent people's DNA will be taken off the database.

During his speech, the Deputy Prime Minister, speaking at City and Islington College in London, said that the Tory-Lib coalition government would be one that ‘is proud when British citizens stand up against illegitimate advances of the state.'

'As we tear through the statute book, we’ll do something no government ever has: We will ask you which laws you think should go.’

We'll roll back the Big Brother state with 'big bang' reforms, pledges Clegg

By Gerri Peev
19th May 2010
Daily Mail

• Clegg: We'll scrap ID cards, limit CCTV and stop abuse of anti-terror laws
  • Referendum on Alternative Vote and new, fairer constituency boundaries
  • Deputy PM insists first-past-the-post system 'blocks' political reform
  • He pledges to replace the Lords with an elected second chamber
  • Clegg says fixed term parliaments are not a fix and will strike 'right balance'
  • Statutory register of lobbyists and a power of recall of MPs
Nick Clegg today pledged the boldest rolling back of the state in modern political history.

The Deputy Prime Minister outlined how he will take the axe to Labour' Big Brother Britain as well as move to make sweeping political and electoral reforms.

Mr Clegg - who seized the constitutional brief as part of the coalition deal - claimed his proposals are the 'most significant programme of empowerment' since the Great Reform Act of 1832 which extended voting rights beyond the landed gentry.

Under his plans, innocent people will no longer have their DNA held on a database indefinitely, ID cards will be scrapped, CCTV will be regulated and there will be a clampdown on the abuse of anti-terror laws which have been dubbed a 'snoops' charter'.

Shake-up: Nick Clegg at City and Islington College today as he outlined plans for major political reform

Libel laws will be shaken up and limits on peaceful protests will be lifted - meaning that the illegal encampment of anti-war demonstrators on Parliament’s doorstep could become a permanent fixture.

People will also be able to decide which unnecessary laws should be torn up, trial by jury will be defended and 'pointless' new criminal offences blocked.

Major plans for political reform include fixed term parliaments, a referendum on introducing the Alternative Vote system and a partly or wholly elected House of Lords.

In his first keynote speech as a Cabinet minister, the Lib Dem leader said: ‘Incremental change will not do. It is time for a wholesale, big bang approach to political reform.

‘This government is going to transform our politics so the state has far less control over you, and you have far more control over the state.'

Mr Clegg claimed it would herald a ‘fundamental resettlement of the relationship between state and citizen that puts you in charge’.

The first session of the newly reformed House of Commons on 5 February 1833, held in St Stephen's Chapel which was destroyed, along with most of the rest of the Houses of Parliament, by the fire of 1834. The reforms were brought about by the 1832 Great Reform Act.

He said it was ‘outrageous’ that law-abiding people were treated as though they had something to hide.

'It has to stop. So there will be no ID card scheme. No national identity register, no second generation biometric passports.’

Email and internet records would also not be held - a proposal floated by Brussels. Children’s rights to privacy will also be extended.

‘We will end practices that risk making Britain a place where our children grow up so used to their liberty being infringed that they accept it without question,' Mr Clegg said.

‘There will be no ContactPoint children’s database. Schools will not take children’s fingerprints without even asking their parent’s consent.’

The Tory-Lib government would be one that ‘is proud when British citizens stand up against illegitimate advances of the state’,' he said.

'As we tear through the statute book, we’ll do something no government ever has: We will ask you which laws you think should go.’

The thousands of criminal offences created by Labour had not made Britain’s streets safer, he said. ‘Obsessive lawmaking simply makes criminals out of ordinary people,' he said.

'This Government is going to be unlike any other, he continued. 'This Government is going to transform our politics so the state has far less control over you, and you have far more control over the state.

'This Government is going to break up concentrations of power and hand power back to people, because that is how we build a society that is fair.'

CLEGG'S BIG PLANS AT-A-GLANCE

• Labour's ID card scheme, the national identity register and ContactPoint children's database will all be scrapped (AGREED)
  • House of Lords to be elected on 'proportional' voting system to rebalance the Upper House (AGREED)
  • Referendum on changing the voting system from First-Past-The-Post to Alternative Vote (CONFLICT - Lib Dems want AV, Tories don't)
  • Public power of recall over MPs and a statutory register of lobbyists to help clean up politic (AGREED)
  • Donations to political parties to be limited but no figure was given (POSSIBLE CONFLICT - Lib Dems want £10,000 cap, Tories £50,000)
Mr Clegg set up a bitter battle that will divide the coalition as he laid out his plans for electoral reform - with changes to the voting system top of the agenda.

A referendum will ask the people if they back the Alternative Vote system instead of the current first-past-the-post set-up, he said.

'My position is clear - the current system of first-past-the-post is a major block to lasting political change,' he said.

'Millions of people see their votes simply go to waste. Is it any surprise that with a system like that we end up with politicians out of touch with the people they serve?'

The Deputy PM added that he was 'very relaxed' that he and David Cameron would be arguing from different positions in the run up to the referendum because the Tories want to keep FPTP.

He also countered criticism of plans to make it impossible for Parliament to be dissolved unless 55 per cent of MPs agree, claiming it was 'wrong' for Government's to fix election dates.

The move 'strikes the right balance for our Parliament', he said. Critics were 'completely missing the point', he argued.

'This is a new right for Parliament, additional to the existing powers of no confidence. We are not taking away Parliament's right to throw out government.

We are taking away Government's right to throw out Parliament.'

Further moves will see the public given the power of recall over MPs who break the rules, a statutory register of lobbyists and a limit on donations to political parties to tackle 'vested interests'.

Mr Clegg said: 'So long as big money continues to hollow out our democracy, everybody loses.'

The coalition government yesterday also agreed to roll out the Big Society agenda that had been trumpeted by David Cameron during the election.

It involves encouraging volunteers to run community services and give power to residents over planning rules.

Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg - who had attacked the Tory leader’s Big Society plans during the election campaign - met community figures from across the country at a meeting around the Cabinet table.

Although the policy had been blamed for scaring off supporters, the Prime Minister yesterday signalled he wanted to entrench more community involvement.

‘It's something I would like to be one of the great legacies of this government, to build the big society,' he said.

Mr Clegg also played down his previous criticism of the Big Society.

‘What I'm discovering is we've been using different words for a long time - it actually means the same thing. Liberalism, big society.

Empowerment, responsibility. It means the same thing.’

His comments struck a distinctly different note to those he was making during the election campaign.

In one pre-election interview, on May 2, Mr Clegg said: ‘What is this big society? It is a big society with a price tag attached. It's a bit like inviting someone to a party in a pub and finding that it's your card behind the bar paying for everyone's drinks.’

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What's wrong with CCTV cameras?

If I'm walking down the street, does it matter whether the police officer can see me with his naked eye or through a CCTV screen?

As for recording the info, that might be a separate matter, but if it's not actually recording anything, then I don't seethe difference. It probably even saves money on having to hire more police officers.

As for the ID cards, I can't comment on that since I don't know the details. I don't see why any government-issued photo ID wouldn't suffice, such as a passport, drivers' license, etc.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for scrapping the anti-terror laws, depending on the details, if they do infringe on privacy and freedom, then definitely scrap it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What's wrong with CCTV cameras?

If I'm walking down the street, does it matter whether the police officer can see me with his naked eye or through a CCTV screen?

As for recording the info, that might be a separate matter, but if it's not actually recording anything, then I don't seethe difference. It probably even saves money on having to hire more police officers.

As for the ID cards, I can't comment on that since I don't know the details. I don't see why any government-issued photo ID wouldn't suffice, such as a passport, drivers' license, etc.

read Orwell.....1984.

Gov't CCTV cameras on every corner are a severe violation of privacy rights, especially when combined with new face-recognition technology.

and they do NOT lower the crime rate.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
I'm curious to see what will come out of this coalition ...Should make for some very interesting ,even exciting times in British politics..

I'm looking forward, toward the future of Europe...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
read Orwell.....1984.

Gov't CCTV cameras on every corner are a severe violation of privacy rights, especially when combined with new face-recognition technology.

So what's the difference between a police officer seeing you and a CCTV camera seeing you, assuming that it's just a camera without recording, face-recognition, and other such technologies?

As for the crime rate, I'd assume that it would allow a police officer to spot the incident quickly and direct traffic police towards him efficiently, no?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We're not talking about 1984 where cameras were in people's private homes. That would be a whole different matter.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
read Orwell.....1984.

Based on what you're saying here, then I must assume you oppose excessively intrusive anti-terror laws too?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Based on what you're saying here, then I must assume you oppose excessively intrusive anti-terror laws too?

Absolutely!

There is no reason to hold people without charge.....or to hold trials in secret, or to go nuts on airport security.........or any of the rest of the anti-liberty stupidity our governments have subjected us to since 911.

If you suspect a non-Canadian of terrorist activity.......charge him with conspiracy, or simply throw him out of the country......no reason necessary.

If you suspect a Canadian of terrorism........charge him in open court.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I have absolutely no idea...

I get the feeling you are going to tell me... :)

No, I don't have any numbers but from personal observation of the news it seems to me to be quite a bit.

Have a look at my link above as an example.

I was in the UK a few years back and they were all over the place....I never felt intruded on and because I wasn't breaking any laws no vans pulled up with guys in black suits to haul me away to the gulag.:lol:

It's a fear over nothing....unless of course it's a SLIPPERY SLOPE!:lol::lol::lol::lol::roll::roll::roll:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/89536-big-brother-watching-so-they.html - Big Brother is watching ..and so are "they"

" The EYE's" see what "They' Wanna see ...While ignoring the rest ...That's the problem with Big Brother ...Tend to see the Bad without acknowledging the good...Social/Conservatism coalition should be a good change for Europe/Britain...

Conservative action with a safety net ..That's a good system ..With the right System/Leaders/Workers in place to seal in all the cracks where "The PEOPLE" might fall through ...We can all have faith ..as we move forever forward, toward the future.. 8O;-):lol:

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely!

There is no reason to hold people without charge.....or to hold trials in secret, or to go nuts on airport security.........or any of the rest of the anti-liberty stupidity our governments have subjected us to since 911.

If you suspect a non-Canadian of terrorist activity.......charge him with conspiracy, or simply throw him out of the country......no reason necessary.

If you suspect a Canadian of terrorism........charge him in open court.

At least we're agreed on that then.