War in Darfur

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The war in Darfur:

The Darfur Conflict[10][11] is an ongoing guerilla conflict or civil war centered around the Darfur region of Sudan. It began in February 2003 when the black-populated Sudan Liberation Movement/Army (SLM/A) and Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) groups in Darfur took up arms, accusing the Sudanese government of oppressing black Africans in favor of Arabs. One side of the conflict is composed mainly of the official Sudanese military and the Janjaweed, a Sudanese militia group recruited mostly from the Afro-Arab Abbala tribes of the northern Rizeigat region in Sudan; these tribes are mainly camel-herding nomads. The other combatants are made up of rebel groups, notably the SLM/A and the JEM, recruited primarily from the non-Arab Muslim Fur, Zaghawa, and Masalit ethnic groups. The Sudanese government, while publicly denying that it supports the Janjaweed, is accused of providing financial assistance to the militia, and of participating in joint attacks targeting civilians.[12][13]

There are various estimates on the number of human casualties, ranging from under twenty thousand to several hundred thousand dead, from either direct combat or starvation and disease engendered by the conflict. There have also been mass displacements and coercive migrations, forcing millions into refugee camps or over the border and creating a large humanitarian crisis...

War in Darfur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is far greater and deeper than just attitudes similar to those allegedly expressed by the President.
Background information:

Around the country and across the globe, the Save Darfur Coalition is inspiring action, raising awareness and speaking truth to power on behalf of the people of Darfur. Working with world leaders, we are demanding an end to the genocide, and our efforts are getting results.

The key to our success is the millions of everyday citizens who have joined our movement. With you and other committed activists by our side, we will end the genocide.

Take Action:

Save Darfur

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Yeah sure, no problem we will do anything for a buck nowadays. While were at it, we might even throw in a little arms dealing to help with the allies.

I swear, the military would just love to profit on Darfur. Don't ask them for sympathy though if things get ugly and people start to complain of the horrides that war causes because there ain't going to be much left of Darfur, if that is what you are asking.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
If oil was beneath Darfur soil, Imperialism would have been there long ego to pretend support for the millions who face death by scum bug war lords, Imperialism would be there like flies on sh!t. Human principles are often revealed at the end of a desire. :-(

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So you're adding smoke and mirrors to cut and paste, so you can say you really are an "humanitarian"?

I see through you eao.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If oil was beneath Darfur soil, Imperialism would have been there long ego to pretend support for the millions who face death by scum bug war lords, Imperialism would be there like flies on sh!t. Human principles are often revealed at the end of a desire. :-(

Oil is a motivating factor:

Published Jul 5 2004 by Zaman Daily, Archived Jul 5 2004
Oil Underlies Darfur Tragedy
by Cumali Onal

Oil Underlies Darfur Tragedy | Energy Bulletin

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Canada isn't exactly squeaky clean either:

August 31, 2005

Sudan: Talisman Case

From the AP
A judge refused to dismiss a church's lawsuit alleging that a Canadian energy company aided genocide in its pursuit of oil in Sudan, despite efforts by the United States and Canada to stop the suit.

In the lawsuit, Talisman Energy Inc., a Calgary-based oil and gas producer, is accused of such crimes as ethnic cleansing, killings, war crimes, confiscation of property, enslavement, kidnapping and rape in Sudan.

Talisman and the Sudanese government collaborated on a plan for the security of oilfields, according to the suit, with Talisman hiring its own advisers to co-ordinate military strategy with the government. Talisman mapped out areas intended for exploration and discussed how to dispose of civilians in those areas, according to the suit...

Coalition for Darfur: Sudan: Talisman Case
I believe Talisman ended up selling their stake in The Sudan to a Chinese company...

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
China is hungry for oil and willing to look the other way...

Canada isn't exactly squeaky clean either:
Another transparent attempt at looking like a humanitarian. I wonder where all this was months and months ago, before I started posting about Darfur and calling out your BS?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Another transparent attempt at looking like a humanitarian. I wonder where all this was months and months ago, before I started posting about Darfur and calling out your BS?

FYI, I've raised this issue several times and usually contribute when someone else starts a thread on this subject:
Mar 12th, 2009
Darfur is a serious problem. The victims are asking for help. I give money to Oxfam and Doctors without borders. Some of that money goes to Darfur.

Darfur, Sudan — Oxfam Canada

Also the Canadian government is on the side of the oppressed in this conflict:

The Sudan has oil. Which means they can afford arms. This is the problem.

I've also raised other humanitarian crisis.

Mar 2nd, 2010
I found this web page which seems relevant to this string, so I'm posting it.
Also

Nov 2nd, 2008
Back in 2003, when our news was busy making us scared of Iraq, a genocidal war had been waging in the Democratic Republic of Congo for five years. Most of us were unaware of the devastation, as most of us were far more concerned about Iraq's non-existant WMDs and links to the events of 9/11...

Do you want to participate in this discussion or troll?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
FYI, I've raised this issue several times and usually contribute when someone else starts a thread on this subject:
Mar 12th, 2009

Mar 2nd, 2010

Also

Nov 2nd, 2008

The troll thinks he has a monopoly on opinion,

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Firstly, I thought I was on your iggy list? :lol:

No, you used it to bash the US a couple times and commented on others OP's. And without the same virulent energy and detachment from reality you have used to bash Israel.
Mar 12th, 2009

Mar 2nd, 2010

Also

Nov 2nd, 2008
Wow, three whole times? Actually I'll give you credit, there's actually more then that. I never start a war unless I have all the intel.

eao, 1, I do not believe you are interested in a discussion. I've tried. You simply dismiss anything that contradicts your version of events. Including authenticated historical documentation.

You, by all accounts have no need to discuss, you want to preach and be heard. Believe it or not, I can actually support you on that. But in so doing, you have to accept some things you believe to be fact, just aren't. This has been proven time and time again.

2, You had no issue with my personal history, until you found it to your liking to use it to simply smear me. You got what you gave, how did you like it?

If you really want to discuss eao, you have to concede to fact if you can not refute it.

It really is as simple as that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Who helped you come up with that thought Ruprecht? It sure wasn't formulated in that small narrow little mind of yours. All that aside, it is true Ruprecht. When in actual fact you don't. Admitting this is the first step in being able to beat it. Good for you!!!

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Let's try not to feed it...

Meanwhile in today's news:

EU withdraws Darfur poll monitors

Veronique de Keyser says the EU mission's credibility is at stake

The European Union has withdrawn its election observers from Sudan's Darfur region, citing safety considerations.

The move comes ahead of presidential, legislative and municipal elections set for Sunday - which should be Sudan's first multi-party vote since 1986.

Opposition parties say the polls in Darfur are a farce while a seven-year conflict continues in the region.
South Sudan's main party, the SPLM, has said it will boycott the presidential poll, citing fraud and security fears.

Several other parties have also withdrawn from the elections or are threatening to do so...

BBC News - EU withdraws Darfur poll monitors

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Let's try not to feed it...
Seems you really don't want to discuss and my original assessment was bang on, thank you for proving my assertion as such...:lol:

Hey Ruprecht, are you waiting for someone to write you a coherent retort?

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Seems you really don't want to discuss and my original assessment was bang on, thank you for proving my assertion as such...:lol:

Hey Ruprecht, are you waiting for someone to write you a coherent retort?

Are you having a bad day CB, poor fr........I feel sory f u:lol:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
What crying shame for the poor indefensible souls, who will be slaughtered in the ensuing months or years, unless they get intervention form a developed country and stop the war lords from further genocide in that region.

One must remember how the US in the name of their OIL addiction, how quickly they dismantled Iraq on a lie when in fact the real motive was not weapons of mass distraction but rather to secure the Oil FLOW OUT OF THE GULF. Bush is on record “US IS ADDICTED TO OIL” Now Darfur is just immerging with huge potential oil reserves beneath their soil, is the US going to be once again the king pin of the deal with China the additional addiction exploiting that region, and what resistance the war lords will present?