Russia - US Nuclear Treaty

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Like the Americans would really honour any treaty they sign.

The US and Russia agreement is an exercise in futility.

These two countries don't keep their promises so the document is not worth the paper that it is written on.

If by chance Obama does decide to keep the promise then Americans will be speaking Russian in a short period of time.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
oh please more hate from above... lovey the ones who complain about the war blah blah and didn't want to protect or fight with us. I wouldn't be talking about treaty

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Compared to the nuclear treaty in the 1980's, this isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Putin hasn't got the integrity and honesty Gorbachev had.
Obama hasn't got the brains and the courage Reagan had.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Like the Americans would really honour any treaty they sign.

The US and Russia agreement is an exercise in futility.

These two countries don't keep their promises so the document is not worth the paper that it is written on.

If by chance Obama does decide to keep the promise then Americans will be speaking Russian in a short period of time.

Where did you come up with that idea? The USA and Russia (USSR) have honoured every nuclear treaty they have ever signed going right back to the first nuclear treaty in 1963.

Nuclear Treaties/Agreements

As for your last comment; it sounds as if you think Red Dawn was a documentary.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
One of the greatest acheivements of Obama. He did campaign on a message of denuclearization.

It's a great, but easy, accomplishment. Both the US and Russia want to despose of a lot of their nukes ASAP.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I am surprised that no one else has commented on this. Certainly an agreement between the US and Russia to further reduce their nuclear arsenals is of some importance, especially given the fact that it is something of a win for the us given that the Russians had to get rid of more weapons than the Americans.

CBC News - World - U.S., Russia agree on nuclear pact

It is wonderful, as far as I am concerned...........the number of nuclear arms in the arsenal of both nations is way past ludicrous.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Bar, the reason it did not get much publicity is that in USA, any treaty must be ratified by the Senate by a 2/3rd vote. Considering that Republicans hate Obama worse than they hate Lucifer and they have a knee jerk reaction to oppose anything Obama proposes, I assume the treaty is dead on arrival in the Senate.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Bar, the reason it did not get much publicity is that in USA, any treaty must be ratified by the Senate by a 2/3rd vote. Considering that Republicans hate Obama worse than they hate Lucifer and they have a knee jerk reaction to oppose anything Obama proposes, I assume the treaty is dead on arrival in the Senate.

This isn't a left-right thread. Are you that obsessed?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

It's my understanding that Republican Sen. Richard Lugar, the ranking member on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is a supporter of the treaty and will attempt to get other Republicans on board. Sen. Lugar is one of my favorite Repubs. I think he could probably scrape off enough Repub Senators to pass it with 2/3 support in the Senate.

67 out of the 100 Senators will have to support it. Assuming all 59 members of the Democrats vote for it, plus Lugar, that leaves 7 more to get.

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
Where did you come up with that idea? The USA and Russia (USSR) have honoured every nuclear treaty they have ever signed going right back to the first nuclear treaty in 1963.

They've both gotten away with stuff in the past. But that's to be expected. Not really important as long as they still have even hundreds, rather than thousands of nukes--if there were ever to be an exchange, or even a one-sided perfect first strike with no counter-attack, the atmosphere would still be irradiated eventually--just look at the threat the Chernobyl cloud posed, and that wasn't even equivalent to a single fission-bomb.

Limiting their stockpiles to equal amounts is far more beneficial to the US simply because it has more advanced weapons systems than Russia does.

Even so, it's likely Russia is happy to dispense with nukes; of course there's no way of dispensing with the actual nuclear material but it's just a matter of putting it in some isolated underground storage facility and guarding it against thieves. Both their Cold-War era nuclear subs and missiles have been rotting away for some time and are becoming a potential hazard in addition to being a bitch to maintain.

The US is also willing to do this because nukes aren't really that useful when you can intimidate with a massive conventional force.

The main barrier to nuclear disarmament in general is US aggression. The invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan is making a lot of people nervous. The US will attack any state that goes rogue (i.e. seeks independence from the US system), that much is clear. The issue with states like Iran is that if they abandon their nuclear programs, it pretty much leaves them without a deterrent to US aggression down the road, as their conventional forces have no chance at defending their territory against such a massively superior force.

What slows down the present process is that Russia is hesitant because of the expansion of NATO into Eastern Europe and the establishment of missile bases there (under the guise of defence against Iran, as absurd a concept as that is).